Reborn Kismets Liquids

AlTran

Reborn Kismets Liquids
« on: 23 Feb 2016, 11:40 pm »

In the past few months after having the Liquids at home, I've done quite a bit of tweaking and waiting for Klaus to work on making the Liquids more perfection. NOW with my newly acquired mono blocks "Kismets", my system is complete. "COMPLETE" to me means I cannot find any flaws at this time. The Midrange is "Liquids" just like Klaus named it. Bass is flat all the way through. The High, I can't say much as those of you who has the Beryllium, you know what it does.

Most recently I have a visitor who is located in Southern Cal and the next morning he called Klaus to order his Kismets mono blocks.   

AGS

Re: Reborn Kismets Liquids
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:54 am »
Looks great AITran.  Just curious to know how did you have the Kismets configured internally?  I am getting close to ordering the Candela to go with my Kismet (in Khartago case) monos. The Kismets are sooooo easy to listen to to.  I could not be happier with them!

AlTran

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:09 am »
AGS, my Kismets are all out according to Klaus. I waited a long time to receive mine. As you see from my previous posting a pair of Kismets in Khartago cases which belongs to my friend. Mine is being the latest and all out version. Basically Klaus uses TS/Quattro in/out, WBT top line throughout, 16,000 uF on both blocks. For these to be fully broken in may take 3 months or so but so far, 1.5 month and I already feel like I'm being pulled into the music. Words can't describe what I'm hearing at this time. 

AlTran

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:16 am »
AGS, I see you had previous posting considering the Candela. I'm not going to say the Candela is the better preamp than your AR, but I want to say the synergy when matching the Candela with the Kismets is very musical.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:42 am »
Wonderful looking system!

AlTran

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:41 pm »
Hi Phil, thanks for the compliment. My listening room is still a mess. I'd try my best to make my garage nicer, but I think it will look better with some of GIK panels.

AGS

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:18 am »
AITran, I will share a story with you, as I shared with Klaus a week or so ago.  The AR Ref 2 that I have is a demo unit that I bought from my local AR dealer many years ago.  It works well and sounds very nice.  So, when I started thinking about preamps I thought it would be interesting to hear how much better the Ref 5SE must be over my aging Ref 2.  I borrowed a Ref 5SE from my dealer for the weekend and swapped out my Ref 2 to make room for the Ref 5SE.  In all honesty, I was expecting to hear a significant improvement with the Ref 5SE compared to my Ref 2.  And while the Ref 5SE was better overall, it was not night and day.  In fact, and in my system, the Ref 2 had more extended high end, whereas the Ref 5SE had a more transparent mid range, and a more controlled low end.  While it was interesting to compare the two AR preamps, I really had to question the perceived value.  The Ref 5SE went back to the dealer.  So, then the following week I called Klaus to discuss the Candela.  I asked Klaus how can the Candela sound as good as it does (based on numerous reviews that I've read) when it sells for such a reasonable price?  He said that's what we do here...  Klaus knows how much I enjoy the Kismet monos... and he said the Candela will be even more impressive. So based on my high satisfaction with the Kismet mono's I am now also in the queue for the Candela preamp.  Will follow up with some comments after they arrive.. Best regards, AGS

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:55 pm »
  I asked Klaus how can the Candela sound as good as it does (based on numerous reviews that I've read) when it sells for such a reasonable price?  He said that's what we do here...  Klaus knows how much I enjoy the Kismet monos... and he said the Candela will be even more impressive. So based on my high satisfaction with the Kismet mono's I am now also in the queue for the Candela preamp.  Will follow up with some comments after they arrive.. Best regards, AGS

That's an easy answer (and I have one in one secondary system).  It's called direct to consumer vs. dealer network.  I lent mine for a bit to someone as he wanted to hear it.  He couldn't believe how reasonable it was either - go to a dealer and you'll probably have to spend around $4k for something with its sound quality.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:56 pm »
Hi Phil, thanks for the compliment. My listening room is still a mess. I'd try my best to make my garage nicer, but I think it will look better with some of GIK panels.

It still looks great.  I'm still working on my systems with room treatments too.

AlTran

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:02 pm »
AGS, great decision, congrats.
We have done some shootout in the past, 2 of those pre are costing 5-6k not to mention any names, but by far the Candela matches really well with Kismets. I guess that's how Klaus always said "synergy, synergy & synergy". I don't the other preamps are not good, they just don't have the kind of synergy the Candela does with the Kismets. I've asked Alex if he would ever think of making building Candela Kismets, if so then I will be the first one to place the order. Also I have tons of 12au7 tubes to roll them. At the end of the day, everything has to work together to make it musical. Especially now with the new Kismets and my Liquids, I can't be any happier. Liquids midrange to die for.

AGS

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2016, 02:40 am »
Phil A, thanks for you comment.  I have to agree that Klaus has a very effective selling model.  Cut out the middle man, and both Klaus and the rest of us, get the best bang for the buck.  I like it!  Just curious, what preamp do you use in you primary system?

AGS

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2016, 02:49 am »
AITran, thanks for you feedback.  I am looking forward to hearing for myself the synergy that Klaus and yourself have mentioned in the past.  I don't doubt it for a minute.  How much break in time should I plan on for the Candela pre?  My Kismet mono's sounded really good right out of the box, but after a couple of months of use (and left on at all times), they are beyond what I expected - just awesome!

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:30 am »
Phil A, thanks for you comment.  I have to agree that Klaus has a very effective selling model.  Cut out the middle man, and both Klaus and the rest of us, get the best bang for the buck.  I like it!  Just curious, what preamp do you use in you primary system?

Modwright LS 36.5DM

Jazznball

« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2016, 08:50 am »
A few weeks back I posted a thread on this forum looking for more info on the Odyssey line.  Specifically, I wanted to know what are the differences between the various options that Klaus offers on his amps.  Within a few hours of posting I had a reply from Klaus and from Al Tran. Let's break those 2 responses down and give more details, because they help to define what Odyssey is all about. 

Klaus - He responded to my email and said to call call him.  When I called him he remembered our meeting at Newport in 2015 and he gave me more details on his products.  I never felt rushed or unimportant.  I regularly attend the meetings for the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society and I have attended Audio shows for over 20 years.  I can tell you that it is rare where I have encountered a retailer or manufacturer that actually talks to like you are real a person and that tries to "earn your business".  My experience has been that they try to sell you their most expensive product or they act like they don't really have time to talk to you.  I have met 3 people who I feel "earn" the business from how they treat you:  Klaus at Odyssey, Lars Kristensen and Michael Børresen at Raidho and Scansonic, and Andrew Jones at Elac.  Now, this is not to confuse the quality of the product with the behavior or personality of the  face of the company. But I can tell you that it makes a difference to me.  If you do your research you may find many products that are very similar in terms of performance, but the differences are in the price and the customer service or experience that the company provides.  This is where Klaus and Odyssey truly shine.  First, if you have read the great reviews in The Absolute Sound then you know that Klaus makes amplifiers that perform at the same level as products that cost up to 10 or 20 times more.  That is truly impressive!  His Stratos amps are now part of Jonathan Valin's reference system. This is not even Klaus's flagship product, yet JV uses it with speakers that cost over $100k to evaluate the very best state of the art products.  Yet, I have talked to Klaus multiple times on the phone and we have exchanged emails with him.  He is much more interested in meeting my needs than he is in "selling" me a product. He will customize an amp to your system and it will be world class in performance.  No compromises, just great performance and truly world class customer service.  I have not encountered anything like Klaus in my dealings with other manufactures or dealers. The man has earned my loyalty both by the quality of his product and by the level of service that he is committed to providing.

Al Tran - I wanted to know the difference between my Stratos stereo amp and Odyssey's top of the line Kismet mono amps.  Al volunteered.  He contacted me and told me that he was very familiar with Odyssey products, as he has owned many, and offered me a listening experience at his house.  First, Al is great ambassador for our hobby.  I showed up at his house and I was greeted warmly and we shared a few beers and spent a few hours listening to his system.  And what a system.  He has an Odyssey showroom!  Kismet mono blocks with every option that him and Klaus can possibly think up, Candela preamp, Odyssey phone preamp, Symphonic Line CD player, Kismet Liquid speakers, and all Groneberg interconnects, power cables, and speaker cables.  The sound - just awesome!  Al LOVES to share his knowledge with you and to help you experience that Aha! moment. He played some great music and we talked about audio late into the night.  It was a great night and a friendship was created.  But that sound was incredible!  We heard subtle details like a violin player breathing as he played, or a jazz singer's voice emerging from a dead silent solid black background and positioned forward from the usual sound field. I heard symphonic music with a soundstage that extended wider than the speakers and just had layers and layers of depth.  We listen to tracks with booming bass, or soaring highs, but most impressive was the beautiful midrange.  The ways his system handled the human voice was truly "liquid".  I could have stayed for hours more, but Al and I both had to work the next day.  I wanted that sound so bad, and the next day I started the process of getting my own Kismet mono blocks. 

To me Al and Klaus represent what Odyssey is all about.  Impassioned people who are 100% committed to great sound with no compromises, but they are still real people who give you the time of the day.  Odyssey is family and I am proud to be a part of the family.   Cant wait till my Kismet mono blocks arrive.  Thanks Al for the listening experience and I only hope some of you one day get a chance to hear what Odyssey can truly achieve.  This is true state of the art equipment that will give you a listening experience that will have you looking forward to that your next session day after day.  It's that good!

AlTran

« Reply #14 on: 29 Feb 2016, 06:38 pm »
AGS, for the Candela breaking in time, for myself fully broken in took me about 6 weeks, playing music at all time. I only turned it off/on once a week then continue to break in. Your other question about the configuration internally. I will send PM you. 

AlTran

« Reply #15 on: 29 Feb 2016, 06:43 pm »
Jazznball, thanks for the great words & compliments. All of these should be credited to Klaus & Alex @ Odyssey. I did nothing but to plug them in & play music. As of now, my system is sounding about 15% better than the last time you visited me. The Kismets Monoblocks are broken in more and still have another month or so to be fully broken in. I welcome all of those who loves to enjoy music. You are welcome to come visit me again at your convenience.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #16 on: 29 Feb 2016, 08:20 pm »
JB,

thanks so much for your nice comments (blush),  and yup, Allen is nuts............

AlTran

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2016, 06:20 pm »
Here is my new member to the system. Symphonic Line Reference MK3. Klaus made me aware that the Reference is about 20-40% more information than my Klarheit 2, and last night after about 5 hours of charging I get about 15-20% so far. At the moment, I cannot believe the emotional level in the midrange is unheard of. The massive Power Supply for the Ref MK3 will need about 48 hours to be fully charged. I'm looking forward to the break in process.

AlTran

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2016, 12:39 am »
The SL Ref MK3 is in my system exactly 1 week and now I feel like listening to Vinyl with remote control.