Which omega?

EzraS

Which omega?
« on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:32 pm »
I am interested in purchasing a pair of Omega speakers for a small basement room. The dimensions are 14x8 with an 8 foot ceiling. The room is carpeted. The speakers would have to be placed  within inches of a short wall and  about 4.5 feet from each other because of an adjacent closet. I sit bout 9 feet from where the speakers would be placed.  I suspect i should go with the 3I or 3S with perhaps the smaller sub. Any chance the 3XRS or Alnico monitor or Alnico XRS might function in such a confined room? Thanks

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Which omega?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:40 pm »
Hello EzraS,

What amp and source do you plan to run?

EzraS

Re: Which Omega?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2014, 09:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I am presently using a Virtue Audio sensation 901 and or a Marantz K1 Pearl intergrated amp but am open to purchasing  an SET or other tube amp. Source would be an Oppo bp105 or an Arcam fmj cd/sacd  or Virtue audio Piano cd player.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm »
If you want to go with sub (deepOmega 8 or 12), go with the Super 3i.  Without sub, the Super 3XRS.

EzraS

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm »
Thanks for your advice Rob. If anyone  has experience using Omega's  in a small room I would greatly appreciate their impressions. I listen almost always to various sorts of Classical music from solo guitar to symphonic works.

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:22 am »
Thanks for your advice Rob. If anyone  has experience using Omega's  in a small room I would greatly appreciate their impressions. I listen almost always to various sorts of Classical music from solo guitar to symphonic works.

My 2.2 set up using a pair of Super 3U's you can say is in a "small" room.  For me,  the Omegas (w/the RS5's) presentation is sublime.  There's a level of intimacy with this single-driver speaker that keeps you coming back for more.  You've heard about cohesion, phase and accuracy...yes it's all there.  I find they excel in acoustics, classical works and vocals.  Given you music likes I see Omegas are a near perfect match.  Staging/imaging too are exceptional.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:30 am »
I've listened to Omegas in small, medium, and large rooms from live acoustics to almost dead.  I have also listened at the desktop.  The Super 3i and a deepOmega 8 or 12 would be dynamite in your situation, and with the type of music you listen to.

Nocturne79

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:39 am »
Hey EzraS

I have used my omega outlaws with RS5 drivers in my office for a while powered by a decware torii MKIV and i found it to be great.  The music just comes through so nicely and never felt like it was too much for my office space...its about 10x10 room with 7'6" celings.  I have moved them to my tv area which is a bigger room and they still sound really good and when I felt the bass was too much or too little I just tinkered with the subs a little more heh.  great speakers

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:55 pm »
I think any of the Omegas would work fine in that sized room.  My primary concern would be your placement.  In sitting 9 feet back from speakers placed 4.5 feet apart you are not really going to be in a situation to appreciate everything those speakers do.  One of their primary strengths is imaging and soundstaging which will generally work best when the listening set up is closer to an equilateral triangle type of arrangement.  Anything you can do to get closer to this will really pay off and allow those Omegas to shine.  Also besides compromising the imaging in that type of setup, being so far back, you will be listening to a lot of room reflection as well which again will affect your sound.  Good luck in your decision.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm »
I think any of the Omegas would work fine in that sized room.  My primary concern would be your placement.  In sitting 9 feet back from speakers placed 4.5 feet apart you are not really going to be in a situation to appreciate everything those speakers do.  One of their primary strengths is imaging and soundstaging which will generally work best when the listening set up is closer to an equilateral triangle type of arrangement.  Anything you can do to get closer to this will really pay off and allow those Omegas to shine.  Also besides compromising the imaging in that type of setup, being so far back, you will be listening to a lot of room reflection as well which again will affect your sound.  Good luck in your decision.
I totally agree.

EzraS

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:59 pm »
Thanks for your considered replies. Although I was hoping for justification to purchase the Alnico monitor or Alnico XRS I am likely to go with the Super 3I with the smaller sub. I can sit closer to the speakers using a chair rather than my usual couch. As there is a plasma TV  on the short wall where the speakers would be placed the Omegas would also do TV sound as well as music. I am presently using a pair of Role Audio Windjammers- a small 2 way floorstander. It is a fine speaker but i am interested in experiencing the single driver sound via a set of Omegas.  I may alsobring them upstairs to my living room where I presently use a pair of Salk Continuim 2 way monitors augmented by a REl T5 sub. The living room is a fully furnished 23 x20 room with 10 foot ceilings. Thanks again for your help.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:40 am »
Salk Continuum 2 way monitors augmented by a REl T5 sub.

Nice. :thumb:

Omega monitors will be different, but equally good (or maybe more better  :green: ).

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2014, 12:11 am »
EzraS --

For about the same money as the Super 3i plus stands, you can get the Super 3S -- which goes deeper. I've got them mated to a Dared 2A3C integrated amp, sourced from a Marantz player, and the sound is absolutely beautiful. My musical taste is quite eclectic -- lots of classical (symphonies to string quartets, and everything in between, including opera), classic rock, jazz, 'world' music, new age, even some country -- it's all there.

Furthermore, you might consider putting the speakers on the 14' wall -- that way you could separate them more optimally and also position yourself more optimally from them -- just a thought.

Anyway -- best to you -- and Happy Holidays.

Ciao.

EzraS

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2015, 01:41 am »
I have been away from the site for a bit. Still considering which Omega speakers to go with. I note that the Super 3S and Super 3U appear to have been dropped from the  line along with the link to the Hoyt Bedford site as well as the site itself. Anyone know why?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:36 am »
Right now there is a Super 5XRS for sale at the classified section:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132028.msg1397636#new

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2015, 03:23 am »
^^ Those are a great deal too!  :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2015, 03:28 am »
If you live in NE Ohio.

ZLS

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2015, 04:39 am »
    The difficulty is that whichever Omega Speaker you choose will sound good.

Based on your room description/speaker placement, and your taste in Music,

I will suggest the Alnico 6 Monitors. 

Whatever you may loose in sound stage will be more than made up in clarity and gorgeous tone.