Grant TubeDAC-11 or Schiit Bifrost?

ASCTLC

Grant TubeDAC-11 or Schiit Bifrost?
« on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:37 pm »
Hi everyone,  I've been lurking for quite some time preferring to keep my mouth shut and observe to absorb information and trends.  Well I'm stumped and not moving myself forward. I have a very strong desire to experience a DAC and use my laptop's fill of ripped music instead of 1/cd at a time in a cheap player.

First off, let me tell you a little about my current set up.  Van Alstine Insight+ EC preamp, Synergy 450 amp, and Legacy Signature SE speakers playing in a 7500cuft room (25x30x10).  CDs played in a cheap blu-ray player at this time until I figure out what to do for this. CD files are ripped FLAC with easyaudiocopy and managed & played back using Foobar2000.

My musical taste is from classical to rock. The only genres I don't listen to are rap and opera.  When I feel like really getting down, I'll increase the volume up quite a bit (concert level without al the distortion   :rock:  )

Second, as much as I'd love to maintain AVA components for this, the budget for the DAC is cheap by DAC standards, and I do mean cheap!  Not to mention the lack of USB on the AVA DAC.  $500 is pushing my limit pretty hard.  So as I check out the well regarded cheapies, there are 2 that seem to stand out to me.  The Bifrost with USB and the TubeDAC-11.  Both are in/so close to my budget so these are what I'm leaning heavily towards.

We're talking a new DAC here.  These are going on my Christmas list for the wife to source so used is not a consideration as there's no way she'd figure this stuff out and know a used unit worth the expense.

I see they're fairly different from one another but there's also a strong desire to try out a tube buffered sound.  The TubeDAC-11 has some ability of letting me experience this at whatever point even if not perfect.  Heck, I might not care for it but I still have the inputs I want and a DAC out capability to make use of my FLAC files.

I'm hoping what I've posted makes more sense to some of you than I think it even does me still.  This and the PC SW still makes me scratch my head.

With that, I'm looking very forward to see what y'all come back with.

Thanks a million!
Andy
eta: Signature SE, not Series III speakers
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2014, 05:52 pm by ASCTLC »

geowak

Re: Grant TubeDAC-11 or Schiit Bifrost?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:17 pm »
I have heard good things about Grant Fidelity but never heard the gear firsthand. I think they are made in China. Not saying that's bad.... I have the Bifrost Uber, so I am biased. It's very musical and the guys who made it and designed it have great digital pedigree. It's very musical and Schiit has made it a modular design, promising that when dac circuitry and design advances, they will update the boards. I started with a standard Bifrost and upgraded to an Unber board. Very nice upgrade at reasonable price.

There are many positive reviews of the Bifrost out there on the net. It does not reach the performance of say the Auralic Vega, but it's a fraction of the price and still very good.

Others can chime in on the Grant Fidelity DAC.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2014, 08:01 pm »
I have 2 GF TubeDac 11's. One with a Bolder mod in my main system and a stock unit in my casual listening/HT rig. Very versatile units with USB provided.( along with a decent digital cable ) When I bought mine, Wayne ( Bolder) was still doing mods and his mod took the 11 to a new level. That said, the stock unit with a nice NOS 6DJ8 is quite pleasing. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the Bifrost as well, but the 11 gives you a lot of options as it's basically a line pre-amp to boot. If you decide on the 11, start shopping for a few NOS 6DJ8's or 6922's. The 11 only uses one, so it's fairly cheap to roll tubes.

brother love

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2014, 08:20 pm »
The Bifrost is a better DAC, but the TubeDAC-11 is more versatile: a preamp with tube out option.  I own a TubeDAC-11 & really have enjoyed it the past few years.  Single 6DJ8,6922,ECC88 tube allows for cheaper tube rolling adventures.  I own a Schitt Lyr headamp (pr. 6DJ8 tubes) & it is great bang for the buck component, so I'm sure the Bifrost is as well. You can't go wrong either way.

Grant Fidelity has a forum on AudioKarma:  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164
Check out the tube rolling threads if you decide to go that route.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm »
The Bifrost is a great unit. Have no experience with the Grant dac.

This is just above your stated budget.. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHDAC25.3

I have one. Very pleased with it. Once in awhile they sell demo units for just under $500.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2014, 01:22 am »
The IFI Micro DSD is a great buy for $500. It also has a great headphone amp. Once you get use to that 3D circuit on it, I doubt if you will ever not use it. It is not tube, but sure sounds like it.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2014, 03:30 am »
I have sympathy for the thought that the op asked for opinions on only two DACs and I've been chastised for going far afield from that thought.  Adding a myriad of other suggestions muddies the waters and often makes selection more difficult.  On the other hand, should we ignore other excellent candidates that the op might not have considered or known about, for example Tom's recommendation of the ifi product, I've heard it and liked it.  So I conclude that the op has thrown his query upon the open sea of opinion and suggestion, therefore it's open season on recommending whatever you feel like and it's up to the op to wade through.

To that end I suggest the Audio gd lineup from China.  If you don't mind buying off shore, they have an excellent reputation for delivery and decent service considering, and a bang for the buck that can't be beat with SOTA technology at bargain prices.  Both the Grant and the Bifrost are getting a bit long in the tooth, I'd think a more cutting edge product would be in order.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2014, 03:38 am »
Your AVA preamp has dual mono channels, IIRC, and uses 12v tubes in the ouput.  :scratch:

if thats the case you would already have volume control and tube rolling capabilities.

The bifrost might be a better fit. If your preamp has no tubes, then the Grant might be better.

(Or, I could be completely off track with what equipment you have, then just ignore my reply. )

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2014, 10:39 am »
The IFI Micro DSD is a great buy for $500. It also has a great headphone amp. Once you get use to that 3D circuit on it, I doubt if you will ever not use it. It is not tube, but sure sounds like it.

+1

A review of Stereophile's 2014 recommended components reveals:  Musical Fidelity V90-DAC for $299 (A+ rated); Halide Design DAC HD for $450 (A rated, USB/RCA cables built in to this tiny box); and several sub $300 B rated (like Schiit BiFrost).  AC folks love bashing Stereophile, but it seems to be mostly sour grapes. In the fast moving DAC world it's smart not to spend too much.

ASCTLC

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2014, 02:04 pm »
Thank you guys! I appreciate the responses.

What I was hoping to avoid a list of additional recommendations that might merely leave me with a large sublist of Netdewt's DACs under $450.  I've gone through that and there's someone, somewhere, to already recommend each and every one of those products. So it's already is the "open sea of opinion and suggestion".   Thus my hopeful attempt to reach land.

Even if you don't have a direct comparison of these 2 DACs, I'm finding your comments and suggestions very helpful!   

Andy

avta

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2014, 03:37 pm »
I have a V90 dac and can say it is as described in Stereophile . Very smooth sound with good sense of space without harshness. Quite a bargain for $300 in my view.

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:10 am »
I have a V90 dac and can say it is as described in Stereophile . Very smooth sound with good sense of space without harshness. Quite a bargain for $300 in my view.

Thanks for the input, I'm in the market.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:19 am »
Opps, duplicate post.

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm »
I'll throw in my two cents with regard to the audio mags like Stereophile and AS. I read them for entertainment and a few laughs. I think if one takes them seriously when choosing an audio component, one will be misguided. The shows are great, the brick and mortar stores are great....because one can listen to the gear before buying. Even the companies that offer a trial of their product....GREAT! Many people here can offer great advice on AC, but as long as you can mire through the hype and fanboys.

Many of the really good products don't profess too much, they go under the radar.

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:16 pm »
I knew someone would slam professional reviewers, especially Stereophile. 

Yes, you have to do a great deal of "reading between the lines" of professional reviews and they may be influenced by advertisers, but mostly to determine the reviewer's reference point (just like you would here at AC): What is their audio background?  Does their taste in audio agree with yours?  What's their room like?  Do you know what the other equipment is being used?  Do they have a bias or an axe to grind?  Either way, a review from an unknown person is all but useless.  But with the professionals, it took at least some degree of scrutiny to be published.

Shows, due to many limiting factors, can only reliably provide a veto of prospective gear.  Bricks and mortar are rare in many areas with limited selection, advice can be highly suspect, many rooms are poor representations of your own room, and the ancillary gear not always familiar.  In home trials make the most sense, but posting the question online is a good start.  Attendance at audio clubs, if you can find a local one, can also be of value.

I don't believe Stereophile would have lasted as long as it has if it was terrible incompetent.  I mentioned their recommendations as a reference.  Surely their class A+, A, and B ratings should be reasonably "safe" for the topic of this thread.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:24 pm »
I do read pro reviews as part of my research.  I also read user reviews. 

Mostly I dabble in the used market, and bring in gear I think I might like, that I know I can flip for 80-100% of what I paid.

Currently in the house are 3 dacs - HRT Music Streamer II (been using for closing on 2 years), Dragonfly V1 (bought NIB last week, breaking in), and an NIB Squeezebox Touch (loan from my brother, a member here on AC).  I have yet to put the Touch into play, still working with the Dragonfly to see if the ability to use it directly into a power amp will float my boat.  The HRT cannot do that.

The HRT is a great DAC, and for $100 used, I doubt you can do better.

I have not tried any of the DAC that the OP asked about, but I did use the Maverick cousin of the TubeDAC years back.  It was good, but not good enough for me to keep in my then dedicated headphone setup.

Factorz

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:06 pm »
I owned the Bifrost with the uber upgrade and when compared to the DAC in my Touch it made an audio difference to my ears. It seemed to bring the overall sound a little closer to my listening position. I have since moved to a iFi iDAC, but would have been more then happy to keep the Bifrost.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2014, 07:04 pm »
The iFi Audio gear is great. There is a used one for sale right now on here too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:05 pm »
I spent some hours reviewing the threads about the Grant piece and placed my order this AM.

I will pop for some russan tubes that those in the know rated really highly for the $, and get a little glass bottle magic back in my system.

First new piece of audio gear I have bought in getting on 20 years!

ASCTLC

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:13 am »
Thanks for these responses.............................. .

While I doubt I'd be doing myself any sort of disservice with either DAC, I'm putting the Bifrost with Uber and USB2 on my Christmas list. 

I have to admit I lean heavily to US made products in general.  After all, my whole system is good ole USA.  My experiences overwhelmingly weigh towards the best positive experiences with US made products, so it goes with this decision too.  I'm just not a comfortable buyer and seller as many of you might be so basically I believe I'm playing my hand safe.   :oops:

I'd still love to hear how the TubeDAC would sound in my system.  Any offers in Colo Springs area?    :wave:  :D

Andy