wushuliu

Re: Audio GD NFB-12
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jan 2011, 10:13 pm »
YGPM! :)

FYI, my NFB-3 is sold guys.

LejfK

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:45 am »
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the NFB-11 from PV because I wanted to avoid overseas order hassles and I didn't feel like waiting for the NFB-12.  I will use it in a bedroom system streaming music from an AppleTV and with Mackie MR5 powered monitors.  I haven't gone through a bunch of dads like some of the folks here, but I'll let you know my results.  :)

HT cOz

« Reply #62 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:17 pm »
I got shipping notification for the NFB-2 over the weekend.  So I will be able to post more info soon.

Wushuliu, how is that DAC-19 sounding?  Very curious as you have some pretty B.A. Diy DACs to compare it too.

Robert

srb

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:28 pm »
I haven't gone through a bunch of dads like some of the folks here, but I'll let you know my results.

Actually, many of us have had only one father, but have gone through several DACs !

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #64 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:33 pm »
I got shipping notification for the NFB-2 over the weekend.  So I will be able to post more info soon.

Wushuliu, how is that DAC-19 sounding?  Very curious as you have some pretty B.A. Diy DACs to compare it too.

Robert

Hey Robert, the DAC19 is outstanding. Tonality is similar to my AD1865, just a very natural presentation, but quieter background and separation. More accurate timbre (?). Drums and piano seem right on the money. Just a step up all around. I have not found it warm or 'musical' with the pDM100 filter - just straight neutral. Vocals do shine, but not to the expense of high/low frequencies. I have lots of gear shifting around w/ the Onix and full range driver swapping so these observations may change, but no question it is better to my ears than what I've heard so far. No real discernible character of its own. Whatever I swap in the chain I can hear the change.

wushuliu

« Reply #65 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:38 pm »
I haven't gone through a bunch of dads like some of the folks here, but I'll let you know my results.  :)

I've gone through a couple dads. Don't worry, it gets easier!

Hamlet

LejfK

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:46 am »
I've gone through a couple dads. Don't worry, it gets easier!

Hamlet

While I'm glad to provide random forum amusement, I categorically blame the auto correct feature of my IPad for the spelling faux pas.   :oops:

Dave G

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:07 am »
While I'm glad to provide random forum amusement, I categorically blame the auto correct feature of my IPad for the spelling faux pas.   :oops:

Well said!  I know this is off-topic, but do you know how to disable auto correct on an IPad?  I really hate that feature!

Nevermind!  Just found it.

Dave

LejfK

« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:25 pm »
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the NFB-11 from PV because I wanted to avoid overseas order hassles and I didn't feel like waiting for the NFB-12.  I will use it in a bedroom system streaming music from an AppleTV and with Mackie MR5 powered monitors.  I haven't gone through a bunch of dacs like some of the folks here, but I'll let you know my results.  :)

Ok, everything finally showed up and I got it all connected and running.  I'm listening to Piazolla's Libertango Suite as I type this.  I haven't engaged any eq on the speakers (they allow 2 db adjustments on treble and bass).  Obviously, we're very early in burn in and I haven't done anything with set up other than throw them on the dresser.  Initially, the highs have a nice, clear sparkle without being grating and the bass is suprisingly punchy.  Mids are decent, but I suspect they'll open up more over time.  In any event, I think I hit the sweet spot for a good, simple and clean bedroom system - about $300 on the Mackies, about $300 for the NFB-11, $100 for the AppleTV and I'm controlling everything through the IPad (which I had already).

Thanks for pointing me to Audio-GD.  I think the NFB-11 is really a nice sounding and versatile bit of gear.  Looks nice too.

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Audio GD NFB-3
« Reply #69 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:01 am »
 :thumb:
 I received wushuliu's NFB-3 DAC and am extremely impressed with the exact imaging and big mid bass thuuuump!
Acoustical instruments are downright plucky and female voices warm and lush.
Overall this piece represents extreme value for the money and should be considered with any other DAC in it's range and above.
Have not done a direct comparison with my Eastern Electric DAC in the main system but can not imagine liking anything better that the EE.
Sold the Maverick D1 as it was somewhat anemic compared to the NFB-3.
NFB-3 currently hanging (very well) with my Wayne modded Touch, Sensation Dodd buffered 901 with Psvayne tube and venerable 1.6 QRs in the photo studio.
Jazz, New Age, Knofler, Clapton and classical no problem.

wushuliu

Re: Audio GD NFB-3
« Reply #70 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:46 pm »
:thumb:
 I received wushuliu's NFB-3 DAC and am extremely impressed with the exact imaging and big mid bass thuuuump!
Acoustical instruments are downright plucky and female voices warm and lush.
Overall this piece represents extreme value for the money and should be considered with any other DAC in it's range and above.
Have not done a direct comparison with my Eastern Electric DAC in the main system but can not imagine liking anything better that the EE.
Sold the Maverick D1 as it was somewhat anemic compared to the NFB-3.
NFB-3 currently hanging (very well) with my Wayne modded Touch, Sensation Dodd buffered 901 with Psvayne tube and venerable 1.6 QRs in the photo studio.
Jazz, New Age, Knofler, Clapton and classical no problem.

Very cool. 8) Be interested to hear if it improves after a while. I read the output stages need some time to burn-in.

HT cOz

« Reply #71 on: 1 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
My NFB-2 is at camping out at a relatives house... waiting to be picked up.  Probably will be this weekend before I can get my hands on it.

Good to hear some news from others who took the plunge.

Nick77

« Reply #72 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm »
My NFB-2 is at camping out at a relatives house... waiting to be picked up.  Probably will be this weekend before I can get my hands on it.

Good to hear some news from others who took the plunge.

Any updates, my NFB-2 wont be delevered for several more weeks.  :duh:

HT cOz

« Reply #73 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:50 pm »
I have some news.  I picked up my DAC today!  :thumb: I was a little surprised to open it up and find a NFB-3 and not a NFB-2.  In Audio-GD's defense, I did change my order 3 times  :duh: I think you can learn more about a company when things go wrong than when they go right.  In all honesty, I think everything will be fine but may take some time to work through.

The NFB-3 looks very nice!  This is a real bargin in audio and probably the absolute sweet spot for AGD DACS.  That being said, I took it home and hooked it up to see what it can do.  My setup is mostly new except for my AMP and consists of the following:

Speakers -> GR Research Neo3TL pre deep cup version
Source 1 -> Squeezebox2 no upgrades crudy wallwart power supply
Source 2 -> Sony S570 BluRay Player
Amp -> Onix 6550 made by Melody push pull using 6550 power tubes with an active pre-amp
Room -> Wood Floors, first reflection (left, right, ceiling, behind speakers) points heavly treated with 4-6 inches of Rockwool, bass traps on front two walls, reverb in room should be about perfect.

With the DAC right out of the box, compared to the SB2 I noticed a little more detail, larger soundstage, seems like more drive and less congestion on music like Rock that can at times get busy.  Now that is about all I can give you at the moment.  It's spending some time running right now so I will report back after it gets some more burn on it.  Also keep in mind it is really hard for me to talk about this system as it is all so new to me. 

Cheers,
Robert

LejfK

« Reply #74 on: 7 Feb 2011, 02:37 am »
Ok, everything finally showed up and I got it all connected and running.  I'm listening to Piazolla's Libertango Suite as I type this.  I haven't engaged any eq on the speakers (they allow 2 db adjustments on treble and bass).  Obviously, we're very early in burn in and I haven't done anything with set up other than throw them on the dresser.  Initially, the highs have a nice, clear sparkle without being grating and the bass is suprisingly punchy.  Mids are decent, but I suspect they'll open up more over time.  In any event, I think I hit the sweet spot for a good, simple and clean bedroom system - about $300 on the Mackies, about $300 for the NFB-11, $100 for the AppleTV and I'm controlling everything through the IPad (which I had already).

Thanks for pointing me to Audio-GD.  I think the NFB-11 is really a nice sounding and versatile bit of gear.  Looks nice too.

Ok, about a week of burn in (internet radio).  The mid range has opened up, but I think the primary reason is the big sorbothane feet under the Mackies.  Acoustical decoupling took away a big bass hump which was muddying up the midbass and midrange in general.  Now, it's much more balanced.  I could stand a touch more midrange warmth, but it's not cold or analytical.  Highs are clear without being shrill (a big issue for me) and there's still plenty of bass punch.  (Mackies still set to flat - no eq). 

One thing I like is that the warmth of old recordings still comes through.  (Louis Armstrong, Django Rheinhart, etc.)  All the recording limits are still there, but its a nice, musical sound.

The system excels with chamber music, small combos and vocals.  It can't really resolve full orchestra, but I didn't expect it to given the small speakers.  Actually, my main living room system doesn't quite fully resolve full orchestra but I think few systems really do.

One weird thing.  One morning the entire system got very staticy.  I turned the NFB-11 off and on which cleared it up.  No idea why that would happen, but easy fix - like a computer reboot.   :green:

At this point, I think the main place for improvement would be settings on the Mac Mini.  I've tried Pure Music streaming through Airfoil with some nice results, but it stalls after 15-20 minutes.  I'm not sure Pure Music makes much a difference when streamed to the AppleTV, unlike in the main system where it just hits the sweet spot for me.

Again, I don't think I could have done better for my tastes and this room without spending a whole lot more.  Thanks again for the Audio-Gd suggestion.

HT cOz

« Reply #75 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:01 am »
Audio-gd already emailed me back working to fix the mix-up. A good sign for sure.

HT cOz

« Reply #76 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:20 pm »
I spent a few more hours with the NFB-3 last night and am noticing some things that I really like.  I am definitely able to enjoy more of my music collection with this DAC.  In my past setups, I loved the ambiance of simple acoustic guitar but that same feel just did not exist with more complicated music.  The NFB-3 brings that sense of presence / cohesion to albums by Creed, The Cranberries, Smashing Pumpkins, Live, etc. 

This is the type of music that I grew up on but never really listen to anymore because it sounded thin/congested/mp3ish.  The only way to get satisfaction from that music was to crank up the volume, but that would leave my ears ringing and as I get older I don’t like that approach.  With the NFB-3 I can listen with satisfaction at lower volume levels.  Naturally those recordings that sounded good before sound even better.

I left it running all night so by this evening it will have 35 hours on it.  I think I will be able to get a pretty good feel for this unit before it moves on and I get the NFB-2 that I ordered. 

NeilT

« Reply #77 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:54 pm »
PM sent

Nick77

« Reply #78 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:55 pm »
Audio-gd already emailed me back working to fix the mix-up. A good sign for sure.

I ordered my NFB-2 two weeks ago and since they are coming back to work from Holiday i emailed and asked for delevery update. My reply was "we have no record of payment, please send paypal information".
Great, I ordered direct instead of Pacific Valve to save a few bucks, since then Pacific has lowered their price to the same fee. Might consider ordering local if placing order.  :duh:

FYI: Payment was recieved, it was just a mixup. Shipping out Feb 18th, will report back.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2011, 09:12 am by Nick77 »

HT cOz

« Reply #79 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:38 pm »
I've agreed to help Audio-GD by offering to sell the NFB-3 for $366 delivered.  It is available for immediate shipping from Houston to your home.  If you don’t want to wait weeks on end from Audio-GD or from Pacific Valve, this is the deal for you.  If you are in Houston, and would like to come listen and possibly purchase an additional discount is available. 

Kind Regards,
Robert