The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Wind Chaser

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #880 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:53 pm »
--there's just a lot more music in 16/44 than most people have experienced (including me before I took a chance on the Tranquility DAC under the introductory pricing).

What was the introductory price?

jrebman

« Reply #881 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:16 pm »
John,

$995.  Check the industry ads circle for a similar, but even better deal.

-- Jim

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #882 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

Here is a direct link to the Tranquility Open Box Super Sale that Jim is referring to in the Industry Ad section: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90961.0

I would like to thank everyone on AudioCircle for your wonderful support and your kind words!   :green:

Cheers,

Eric Hider
dB Audio Labs
Phone: 248-798-9555
Email: ehider@me.com

« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 02:01 am by db audio labs »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #883 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:40 pm »
Right on, Dave.

Since all of my music is on my computer, I did a calculation and found that about 98% of my music is 16/44 and 96% of my new music purchases are 16/44. The vast majority of what I have and would be interested to purchase is not high-resolution. And like you I've found that the Tranquility (and then the SE) make 16/44 sound much better than high-resolution files sounded on my previous DAC. And I'm not a vinyl/tube person. I've had solid state and CDs for 20 years. I'm happy with detailed and accurate sound--there's just a lot more music in 16/44 than most people have experienced (including me before I took a chance on the Tranquility DAC under the introductory pricing).
The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the NOS DAC that is in the Tranquility is old enough to vote in every state in the Union.  Many of the discs that I have are from the mid eighties and the Tranquility SE is stripping out information that my Cary with its' 8 (yep, count 'em EIGHT) PCM1792's had no clue was there or got wrong.  Part of the beauty of the Tranquility DACs is that ultrafi had the foresight to know that less is more in digital audio design and then to use the BEST parts for each aspect of that design - not necessarily the most expensive - just the BEST.  Great job!  :thumb:

I have been in the semiconductor aspect of audio for the best part of 40 years - much of it in the manufacturing end (wafer implantation) of the product.  One of the inherent problems with high bitrate oversampling DACs is the digital filters built into these ships.  These filters are designed to be lossy - that is what a filter does.  Do you really want 4,6 or 8 of these inherently lossy constructs between you and the music.  I don't.

It is bad enough that digital music is like taking a Kobi steak and grinding it up into hamburger.  Don't get me wrong: I like Kobiburgers.  Now imagine that you had 6 people all in a row lookig at that Kobi and they were all picking out what they though shouldn't be in that beef and throwing it away before sending it to the cook.  Dude! Can you say "Yecchhh?"  Bland is all it would be.

Dave

bhobba

« Reply #884 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:04 am »
The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the NOS DAC that is in the Tranquility is old enough to vote in every state in the Union.  Many of the discs that I have are from the mid eighties and the Tranquility SE is stripping out information that my Cary with its' 8 (yep, count 'em EIGHT) PCM1792's had no clue was there or got wrong.  Part of the beauty of the Tranquility DACs is that ultrafi had the foresight to know that less is more in digital audio design and then to use the BEST parts for each aspect of that design - not necessarily the most expensive - just the BEST. 

Hi Dave

Absolutely.  The Tranquility DAC guys are not the only ones to find this out.  A number of people I know who have built and designed DAC's simply could not find a modern chip better than PCM1704 or a Phillips double crown.  It's not confined to DAC's either.  Mike Lenehan of ML1 fame uses Peerless HDS Woofers because he tested tons and found it the best.  Sigfried Linkwitz measured their distortion and found it second only to the Seas Magnesium - and the difference was not much.  Yet because it doesn't cost as much as other drivers some people poo poo it. Go figure.

Thanks
Bill

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #885 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:29 am »
Hi Dave

Absolutely.  The Tranquility DAC guys are not the only ones to find this out.  A number of people I know who have built and designed DAC's simply could not find a modern chip better than PCM1704 or a Phillips double crown.  It's not confined to DAC's either.  Mike Lenehan of ML1 fame uses Peerless HDS Woofers because he tested tons and found it the best.  Sigfried Linkwitz measured their distortion and found it second only to the Seas Magnesium - and the difference was not much.  Yet because it doesn't cost as much as other drivers some people poo poo it. Go figure.

Thanks
Bill
Bill,

We live in a time when "new and improved" generally means more capability at a lower cost, not better.  I'll take better every time. :thumb:

Dave

listenj0y

« Reply #886 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:24 pm »
Hello,I am following this thread (and the Mach2 one as well) and am having a little trouble deciding about which to buy first: The Tranquility SE or the Mach2 Mini? Presently using a Windows 7 machine (upgrading to an Antec 1200/850 watt PSU case,MUCH quieter it should be than my present one,but this will be used for video and other processes),and I have really no experience using the Mac O/S (it is Snow Leopard,correct?).

I'm awaiting a reply back from Mach2 on some of my questions,and would like to make a decision to purchase one of the two this weekend. I'm not really crazy about using a 1/8 mini out for audio until later when I can get the Tranquility.. (I also use a Joule Electra tube preamp and McCormack dna-0.5 dlx Rev.A SS amp.)

Thanks for any feedback,I'll be tuning back in after work tonite.

Steve

bhobba

« Reply #887 on: 10 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm »
Hi Steve

I would get the Tranquility SE first - it will work fine with your current Windows machine - just not to its optimum thats all.  Then look into getting the Mach 2.  I have used the Tranquility with a Windows machine and it was still better (to my ears) than some other USB DAC's such as the WFS.

Thanks
Bill

bside123

« Reply #888 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:06 pm »
Hi Steve
I would get the Tranquility SE first - it will work fine with your current Windows machine - just not to its optimum thats all.  Then look into getting the Mach 2.  I have used the Tranquility with a Windows machine and it was still better (to my ears) than some other USB DAC's such as the WFS.
Thanks
Bill
Hello,I am following this thread (and the Mach2 one as well) and am having a little trouble deciding about which to buy first: The Tranquility SE or the Mach2 Mini? Presently using a Windows 7 machine (upgrading to an Antec 1200/850 watt PSU case,MUCH quieter it should be than my present one,but this will be used for video and other processes),and I have really no experience using the Mac O/S (it is Snow Leopard,correct?).
I'm awaiting a reply back from Mach2 on some of my questions,and would like to make a decision to purchase one of the two this weekend. I'm not really crazy about using a 1/8 mini out for audio until later when I can get the Tranquility.. (I also use a Joule Electra tube preamp and McCormack dna-0.5 dlx Rev.A SS amp.)
Thanks for any feedback,I'll be tuning back in after work tonite.
Steve

I agree with Bill. Get the Tranquility SE and go along your upgrade path from there. Eric Hider is also available for great advice. I am using my Tranquility SE with McCormack equipment. Sounds great! Regards, Din Dayemi

listenj0y

« Reply #889 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:35 am »
Hi Steve

Thanks
Bill

I agree with Bill. Get the Tranquility SE and go along your upgrade path from there. Eric Hider is also available for great advice. I am using my Tranquility SE with McCormack equipment. Sounds great! Regards, Din Dayemi

Thanks for your feedback guys. I've been following this thread and the Tranquility DAC/db Audio Labs for some months now. I'm looking for #1,a great product and #2,quality customer service. I'd like to say I feel confident to purchase a Tranquility for myself and finally begin to listen with music.

It will let enough time for breaking in the DAC before I get enough money up to decide upon a Mac Mini (or other variations) for a music server.

As an aside,without overstepping,(as this is just my 2nd post yet)...great points about high resolution/oversampling DAC's. Very good points,as with myself as well,I only have maybe 2% of my digital music collection in "Hi-Res" format.
However,we should be careful not to stray from the original intent of the topic,no? (As per the warning from one of the staff as to closing down the thread if we wander off,it is a massive thread,no doubt! I think I need to archive it all somehow.. ;) Just looking out,no disrespect intended.

I'll try to get an email out to Eric Hider soon to arrange for my payment and field any questions I may have to him.

OT: I'm curious if anyone who owns a Tranquility has listened to Electronic music,particularly analog recorded stuff,like this one I have,VA - Electronic Toys or VA - Gravikords Whirlies And Pyrophones?
Or Yello? "Ohhh yyyeeahhhh!"
I'm almost keen to buy the DAC just for fun music like this,to see how it all works together. Nevermind. :/ (Honestly,Music holds a dear place in my heart/mind and I feel we humans might benefit for finding ways to bring more and better quality of it into one's life.)

Steve

PhillipC

« Reply #890 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:00 pm »
Hi Steve,

As far as looking for a great product AND great customer service, I would have to point to the DB Audio Labs Tranquility SE USB dac and Eric Hider.  You can read through this thread to hear about all the good things that the dac does.  As far as the great customer service, I am witness to it first hand with Eric.  I had some issues with the dac and the usb cable.  Not only did Eric address things right away, he followed up and made sure that I was a happy customer.  His customer service is superb!

highfilter

« Reply #891 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:08 pm »
OT: I'm curious if anyone who owns a Tranquility has listened to Electronic music,particularly analog recorded stuff,like this one I have,VA - Electronic Toys or VA - Gravikords Whirlies And Pyrophones?
I'm almost keen to buy the DAC just for fun music like this,to see how it all works together. Nevermind. :/ (Honestly,Music holds a dear place in my heart/mind and I feel we humans might benefit for finding ways to bring more and better quality of it into one's life.)

Steve

I listen to a lot of Electronic music through the Tranquility SE and it does indeed sound amazing. Actually, anything I have put through this DAC has let the music come through. It doesn't seem to only work its magic on one type of music, it lets the original recording come through and you'll notice all kinds of nuances from every genre. I've listened to everything from Aphex Twin, Autechre, Brian Eno, Yello, Deadmau5, Squarepusher, Plaid etc etc and I've never heard anything near this level of reproduction. I don't think you can go wrong with the Tranquility, and Eric offers some of the best customer service and customer care in this field.

Rapt

« Reply #892 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:26 pm »
Thanks for your feedback guys. I've been following this thread and the Tranquility DAC/db Audio Labs for some months now. I'm looking for #1,a great product and #2,quality customer service.

Steve, I can tell you that the Tranquility is a great product and as far as customer service goes Eric has extended his services and insight far more than any manufacturer I have dealt with in all my years in audio or in any other type purchase I have ever made for that matter. It is rare that someone who sells you a product truly cares that you enjoy it and get the most out of it, Eric and db audio labs definately took this to a new level in my experience. That said please know I am not  a shill. I have no affiliation with db audio labs or any one else on this forum. I live in Eastern Canada and also took a chance on this dac and I can tell you that I am very happy with the *musicality* of this Dac.

I listen to some electronic music (not sure about the analog recorded stuff) for example I listen to some Aphex twin (1997 who's your daddy album) and it is outstanding, does not sound *Digital* If you know what I mean.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT listening to this dac not through a Mac Mini but a toshiba laptop and it sound (to me) stellar. So I would definately get the dac first. I also plan on getting a mac mini in the future and if it improves what I am hearing now I will be astounded.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2011, 09:23 pm by Rapt »

mact3333

« Reply #893 on: 14 Feb 2011, 05:17 pm »
hey guys, just ordered the Tranquility DAC...which powercord would you get if on budget?...looking to spend 100-150.00 for used at Audiogon...thx.

bhobba

« Reply #894 on: 15 Feb 2011, 03:11 am »
hey guys, just ordered the Tranquility DAC...which powercord would you get if on budget?...looking to spend 100-150.00 for used at Audiogon...thx.

Is it the SE?  If not then its designed so power chords are not that important.  If it is the SE then get the best one you can afford.  I used a MIT second hand one on mine to good effect but an acquaintance made some up for me that was more expensive and it was better.  Put the MIT's on my amp instead and it sounds better.  But Dave of PI Audio is sending some out with a Mac Mini Power chord that is supposed to be really good - but more expensive again.

Thanks
Bill

mact3333

« Reply #895 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:26 pm »
Is it the SE?  If not then its designed so power chords are not that important.  If it is the SE then get the best one you can afford.  I used a MIT second hand one on mine to good effect but an acquaintance made some up for me that was more expensive and it was better.  Put the MIT's on my amp instead and it sounds better.  But Dave of PI Audio is sending some out with a Mac Mini Power chord that is supposed to be really good - but more expensive again.

Thanks
Bill

I bought the reg Tranquility for the 995.00 open box special price and with reg USB cable thrown in for free... :D :D

Eric said I should use a decent powercord so I ended up buying a used Shunyata Black Diamond for 105.00 on Audiogon...although I am just getting back into being a pseudo-audiophile, I know myself and I would upgrade too quickly unless I get something "decent" even to start.

Next I need to get the Mac Mini...should I go 09' MM or just pay the ectra price for the 10' model???...can the 10' MM really be better than a souped up earlier year MM with all the tweeks that Eric tells you to do???

gprro

« Reply #896 on: 15 Feb 2011, 11:43 pm »
Yes get the 2010. I'm getting one when my tax return comes back. I havn't heard the two compared in person, but the people I trust that have, say even stock the 2010 is as good or better than a tweaked 2009. The 10 can be taken further with the upgrades too.

+1 on the customer sevice being the best in the biz!

Hifinut604

« Reply #897 on: 16 Feb 2011, 12:02 am »
Yes get the 2010. I'm getting one when my tax return comes back. I havn't heard the two compared in person, but the people I trust that have, say even stock the 2010 is as good or better than a tweaked 2009. The 10 can be taken further with the upgrades too.

+1 on the customer sevice being the best in the biz!

I second gprro. The 2010 Mini is what I'm eventually getting but another option is a PowerMac G5. These are large dinosaurs but can be gotten cheap used and are very easy to upgrade (RAM and new HD). There is some fan noise but the power supply is superior to pre-2010 Mac Mini so does sound better. The 2010 Mac Mini has a redesigned power supply that supposedly makes a huge difference.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #898 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:06 am »
Next I need to get the Mac Mini...should I go 09' MM or just pay the ectra price for the 10' model???...can the 10' MM really be better than a souped up earlier year MM with all the tweeks that Eric tells you to do???
Yes it does.  The guys at Mach2 figured out how to make the 2010 Mini really sing with the Tranquility SE.  Another thing on the Tranquility DAC is that it likes a little mass loading on top with some good cones or rigid footers under it.

Dave

gary

« Reply #899 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:34 am »
I'm really anxious to hear one of these... anyone have one in upstate NY (near Rochester) who might let me audition it?

gary