So I bought some TELEFUNKEN 8" Alnico drivers

Wind Chaser

So I bought some TELEFUNKEN 8" Alnico drivers
« on: 24 Apr 2015, 12:40 am »
$40 CAD - pulled from a console that drove them with a single ended EL84. They are said to be 4 ohms and each driver measures 3.0 ohm DCR. I no longer have a router, but I will eventually mount them on an open baffle and run them full range in conjunction with my HSU MBM. Should be interesting.

Brad

Re: So I bought some TELEFUNKEN 8" Alnico drivers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2015, 02:52 am »
I've got an old Magnavox stereo Single ended EL84 amp that was a console pull.
Might make a pretty good match for your speakers  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:43 am »
Brad, I'm sure it would work very well. I might even take you up on that.
But first I want to get a feel for these things with my TPA 3116. 
Got a picture of that Magnavox?

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2015, 02:09 pm »
IIRC, it's a model 8601

Here's one somebody built a wooden case for.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
It's a project I realize I probably won't get to anytime soon, so I would love to see it go to someone who would use it.
Comes with a set of tubes too.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:08 pm »
Tube amp pulls are fun to play with. They usually sound pretty decent too. Here's one I yanked from a Fisher console.

I just cut oak handrail in half, added some red oak stain and poly and used that for the case. I haven't done any mods other than to do a bit of rewiring to eliminate the preamp loop and then I added an industrial power switch. I didn't bother polishing up the chassis since I only use this in my workshop. Sounds right fine though driving a pair of Infinity Qe's.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2015, 06:45 pm »
I ran an old unrestored Maggie EL84 amp with Visaton b200's on OB for many many years.

Exceptional combo.

The Tele alnico's should prove interesting too.  Lots of love for the old alnico magnets, and some manufacturers are doing it again now.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2015, 04:17 pm »
They finally arrived. Tested them to see if they are working - check. I'm guessing they are around
92 db @ 1 watt based on the 88 db rating of my CA BMRs. Have not mounted them yet but initial
impressions are not favorable... They strike me as being muffled, veiled or compressed. Mounting
them should make a difference, but I am convinced that these are nothing like the B200. No holes
in the frame for mounting, instead they came with small metal clips that screw into the baffle.

pboser

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2015, 07:18 pm »
Did you get them mounted yet?  If so, how do you like them?  I've always been curious about them.
Pete

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2015, 07:51 pm »
No, I've lost my motivation. There sitting in a box somewhere out of sight. They'll probably end up in the trash, but I'm too lazy to bother with that right now.

pboser

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2015, 08:27 pm »
If you'd be willing to send them to me I'd be interesting in trying them. How much would you want for them? I'm in June, USA, zip 07760.

pboser

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2015, 08:31 pm »
Typo- NJ, not June!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2015, 11:00 pm »
Wouldn't be worth it. I paid $25 to have them shipped by mail across Canada; so from BC to NJ it would probably be about double that. Assuming these were fullrange drivers, they don't sound very good. I honestly cannot recommend them. IMO you are far better off with something else.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2015, 12:42 am »
Wind Chaser, if I haven't said so already, good to see some posts from you.  Keep em comin.  Thanks.

Mark Levinson Trio.  His brother on piano.  Who knew.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2015, 06:40 pm »
Windchaser, from the pictures they look more like Isophons, often found in Telefunken consoles and misidentified.

dave