Melting small quantities of butter, etc.

Doublej

Melting small quantities of butter, etc.
« on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:04 am »
What do you you use to melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and the like? I am currently using a stainless steel one cup measuring cup but feel there has to be a better solution.

avta

Re: Melting small quantities of butter, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:44 am »
Microwave?

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:57 am »
I use a 6 oz. Corelle Ramekin / Fruit Bowl or for larger amounts of butter an 10oz. Corelle Dessert Bowl.
I place the butter in the bowl and microwave on power setting 1 for 30sec. at a time until the butter is the way i want it.
See links below
https://www.amazon.com/Corelle-Livingware-Winter-Frost-Ramekin/dp/B01IRP89X4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1480901517&sr=1-1&keywords=corelle+6oz.+bowls
6oz. BOWL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014V5EPEQ/ref=twister_B00GVKTY9Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
10 oz BOWL

Scotty

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:41 am »
I use a (glass) shot glass and microwave it.

luckyguy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2016, 07:13 pm »
Butter will blow in a micro unless covered with Saran wrap and low heat.  I use setting 3 for a minute or so maybe longer for more than 1/4 cup.  Be careful, makes a mess inside the cabinet.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2016, 11:17 pm »
In the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Just watch it because the butter will melt during a half second. Use a small plate so if it melts at 12 seconds, microwave for 13 seconds from then on.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2016, 01:43 am »
I have a very small Le Creuset skillet (enameled cast iron) that I'll warm on the stovetop, just to boost it above ambient temp, then remove from the heat.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:57 am »
Fill a small glass bowl 3/4 full of water and heat it to boiling in the microwave, put the butter in a plastic baggie and submerge only the part of the plastic bag containing the butter.  It will melt perfectly with no separation.

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2016, 05:55 am »
For any quantity of butter - microwave zap, remove, stir, re-zap, repeat.  Easy.

The parts that melt get hot fast and start to pop, while other parts remain solid.  That's why you need to just keep zapping and stirring.

You don't need to wrap it if you watch it.  I actually just listen for the sizzle, as soon as you hear it, take it out and stir.