suggestions for general chef knife

gregcss

suggestions for general chef knife
« on: 11 May 2014, 07:27 pm »
Hi,
I've been using a calphalon knife set I got for $200 for the last 10-11 years and I think it's time to upgrade. I do not want a set and would like to get a single quality ~8" all purpose chef knife. Budget is $200. What do you recommend?

Also, I have a round dowel 'diamond' sharpener that came with the set mentioned above and a henckels sharpener. I think the henckels does a pos job and the calphalon does a decent job at honing the edge. What do you recommend for an actual sharpener?

Thanks
-Greg
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 09:45 pm by gregcss »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: suggestions for 'all purpose' chef knife
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 08:23 pm »
Greg,

We have Henckel and Cutco knives that we've used for years. Either brand tends to be a bit spendy. They're nice to use and I like them, but, honestly, my favorite knife is is a Molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel blade I picked up for $16.95 several years ago at Ikea. It's an 8" Japanese style blade--I've forgotten the correct name for it.
Sure, it needs sharpening more often than my other blades, but it kicks ass on veggies, meats, etc.

Michael

My Ikea knife is a Santoku blade.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2014, 08:42 pm »
The Calaphons are actually decent knives compared to their European brothers, but none of them can take an edge like the Japanese knives.  See http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50423.0

srb

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 08:56 pm »
I find the Japanese blades to be a bit thin and fragile, so it depends on how 'all-purpose' you want the blade to be.  For German knives I prefer the Wusthof, and in particular the Grand Prix II handles.  Although the Classic riveted handles look nice, the more ergonomic Grand Prix handles just feel better and fit my hand better.

Because I only cut vegetables and fish and no meat bones, my go-to knife is a 6" 5" Santoku and I only reach for the 8" Chef for very fine vegetable and herb mincing jobs (better suited to the rocking action of curved bottom chef-style blade) and frozen items.  A Wusthof Grand Prix II 8" Chef will run ~ $100.

Steve
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 10:11 pm by srb »

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2014, 09:34 pm »
All purpose might have been the wrong choice of words. I mostly cut vegetables and fruits (melons excluded). If i cut meat it's usually after cooking and I use a steak knife.

The calphalon set served well. I made pico de gallo today and in the way I diced the tomato i wanted to put zero pressure on the tomato (after already being sliced from the other sides) and so I pulled the knife back and forth and it would not cut through the skin. I had to apply pressure and sorta mushed the tomato into the cutting board to get this task done.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2014, 09:49 pm »
Knives are very different from one another, and you may find a particular style (or handle) that you like better. If you have the opportunity, go to a good Kitchen Specialty store (Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, etc) and try them out.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: suggestions for general chef knife
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2014, 09:57 pm »
Get yourself a fine/medium india stone. Learn how to use it. There's no need to sharpen a knife any finer for kitchen use. In fact, it'll get dull quicker if you do. Henckels and Wusthoffs are fine knives and work just fine. Avoid water stones and such. The demands of a woodworker are much different than a cooks. I suggest learning how to use a steel. They don't actually sharpen a knife but realign the edge and keep you from grinding off more metal than is necessary on a stone. Don't use your stone until your steel is no longer effective.

Doc

srb

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2014, 10:03 pm »
I misspoke earlier, the Santoku I have is a 5".  The smaller size is so much more maneuverable than my 8" chef knife.  I've had it for ~ 5 years and it's still razor-sharp and I can effortlessly cut thin slices of tomato, probably due in part to the Wusthof Santoku-specific sharpener I bought with it.

You can get the Wusthof Grand Prix II 5" Santoku on sale right now for $40 and add the Wusthof Santoku Sharpener for another $10, even better than the bundle deal I bought 5 years ago ($60 knife with free sharpener).

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2014, 10:18 pm »
I used to have Global knives, which I liked a lot, but I replaced them all after using Shun knives - they are much sharper and go through veggies and tubers much easier.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2014, 10:25 pm »
The calphalon set served well. I made pico de gallo today and in the way I diced the tomato i wanted to put zero pressure on the tomato (after already being sliced from the other sides) and so I pulled the knife back and forth and it would not cut through the skin. I had to apply pressure and sorta mushed the tomato into the cutting board to get this task done.

You just need to sharpen them on a stone.

sounddog

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 02:09 am »
I use the Victorinox Forschner, which Cooks Illustrated rated a best buy (I think it cost only $40 or so), and really like it.

avta

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2014, 02:31 am »
+1 for Forschner. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2014, 04:12 am »
I wish I still had some available. But, I am six months behind on special orders.
I would rather be making what I want in stead of special orders.
Just enjoy it more .

Good luck.

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2014, 05:43 pm »
I use the Victorinox Forschner, which Cooks Illustrated rated a best buy (I think it cost only $40 or so), and really like it.

I cook a ton and I also have this knife.  In my big hand, the non-slip handle is more comfortable (and less slippery) than my much pricier Wustorf Classic.  Sharp blade, does the job.  And you can rely on anything that America's Test Kitchen recommends.  If you watch the show, you will see that they actually use it.

I highly recommend it if you are on a budget and not concerned by the lack of snob appeal.
About 40 bux at Amazon.  Over 1700 reviews, 82% give it a perfect 5 stars.  Says a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-40520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399915985&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+knife

gregcss

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2014, 05:47 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll give the Victorinox a try and learn how to use a sharpening stone on my old knives.

groovybassist

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2014, 05:50 pm »
We have Sabatier Elephant logo carbon steel knives and some Shun knives, but believe it or not, the most used and loved knife in the kitchen is a Mac TH-80 Chef Series.  Ultra-sharp, well made, easy to sharpen - great knife.

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/products-by-series/chef-series/44-th-80-chef-series-8q-chefs-knife-with-dimples.html

-Mike

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2014, 06:01 pm »
Forget the sharpening stone!  Get one of these Chef Choice ones, in the 100 or 1000 series:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=chef%27s+choice+knife+sharpener&sprefix=chef%27s+choice%2Cgarden%2C334

I know the purists will say it damages the blades.  But that is not my experience, even on my good knives.  And I've been using it for years.  It is super fast / easy, does a great job, and the edge is long lasting.  I think it's also rec'd by ATK, and when doing the research, I found plenty of pro chefs that rec'd it.  Good enough for me.

I have the 120 "plus".  Shop around online.  With discounts and coupons I bet you can find it in the $90 range.  Not cheap, but easily pays for itself compared to paying pros to do the sharpening.  It gives a pro edge, but tons more convenient.

avta

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2014, 06:08 pm »
I also use a Chef's Choice sharpener and agree that it is easy to use and works well.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2014, 06:10 pm »
That's funny. I've got a hard Arkansas stone that I use to polish chisels and plane iron backs that cost more than those fancy machines. I wonder why? Could be why tubes are better than transistors or vinyl sounds better than digital. Some skills are worth learning even if they seem old and outdated. Using a whet stone is one of them. I've spent over 40 yrs teaching boys how to use a stone. If an 11 yr old can do it so can anyone. Besides, your grandfather would be proud of you. :lol:

Edited to mention: There are junk drawers by the thousands that have sharpening "Things" in them that didn't turn out to be the panacea that the buyer thought they would be.

Doc

sunnydaze

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2014, 06:32 pm »

Edited to mention: There are junk drawers by the thousands that have sharpening "Things" in them that didn't turn out to be the panacea that the buyer thought they would be.

Doc

Agreed.  The Chefs Choice is not one of them

I too know how to sharpen with a whet stone.  Just prefer not to.  The electric is easier, faster, and does it just as well.  It can also sharpen scissors.  Not easy with a stone.

Also, it maintains the perfect angle automatically, unlike the whet stone.  I know correct angle doesn't seem hard, but neither does screwing in a light bulb, and plenty of folks can barely do that.