El Capitan Warning

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
Re: El Capitan Warning
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2015, 10:06 pm »
I've had no real issues with El Capitan other than some mail issues with GoDaddy email accounts which they resolved until today. Upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.2 and now the USB DAC driver for iFi DSD Micro no longer shows up. Any previous drivers are now listed as Core Audio. Have put in ticket with iFi support and will report any resolution they provide.

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2015, 02:37 am »
Update:

iFi tech support confirmed on their end that they are working with the current release of MAC OS, 10.11.2. I rebooted my MAC several times, pulled cables a part with the iFi setup and put them back together and my MAC is now working correctly again. Not sure what happened during the upgrade that kept the MAC from recognizing the DAC but it’s working correctly now.

The upgrade also corrupted the Tidal application for streaming music as well. I had to reinstall that app to get it to work but it's working fine now too.

So while the upgrade seemed to knock a few things out of kilt, trouble shooting and reinstalling seems to have corrected things and I have to report El Capitan seems to be working correctly with my system.

Steven Stone

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:46 pm »
El Capitan issues are both software and hardware related. Some machines are seeing less issues than others. 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - no problems. MacPro desktop 2013 Titanium - major DAC issues - no MTech-enabled USB DACs work and if a DAC is unplugged from USB it will not reappear until a reboot.

Blackmore

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2015, 03:22 pm »
Borrowed a BMC Pure DAC and it isn't recognized by my mini as a USB source.  Thankfully I have a Bel Canto mLink that still works perfectly with El Crapitan.  This is pretty disappointing as OS X used to be pretty bulletproof for me.  And I've had to modify the wifi settings to let me get on the internet even though my wifi signal is strong and the computer says it's connected.  What a strange upgrade this has been. 

Hope Apple fixes this or someone figures out how to get into the Terminal and fix things. 

New development: resetting the SMC made the DAC discoverable and it's working just fine.  Odd days!
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2015, 04:34 pm by Blackmore »

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2015, 10:18 pm »
The 10.11.3 public beta is out. Hope springs eternal.... Only oddity I have noticed under El Cap is that my 2013 Retina sometimes shows more than one instance of the same app open, which is supposed to be un-possible. No audio probs though (knock wood)

KR500

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2015, 02:38 pm »
I never received a return follow up call from the Apple senior tech as promised 10 days ago but seems for me the iTunes problems have been solved with the latest patch for EK . Took since October 22nd though to repair what was broken

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2015, 11:31 am »
[Emily Litella voice} Nevvvvver mind.....

KR500

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2015, 10:54 pm »
[Emily Litella voice}

Er... who is Emily Literal and what does it add to the posted topic here

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2015, 12:10 am »
It adds nothing. But it was an accidental post. Sh** happens. Sorry...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2015, 01:51 am »
[Emily Litella voice}

Er... who is Emily Literal and what does it add to the posted topic here

A quick Google search would reveal all - if you spelled her name correctly. Early days of SNL.

KR500

« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2015, 10:59 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on accidental post  ,
I spelled the quoted name correctly, but then my ultra smart spell checker misspelled it for me after typing
I'm a long time fan of SNL and either I missed that character or forgot about it .

dB Cooper

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:28 am »
So a couple times in the last day or so, my Schiit Modi has stopped playing audio in mid-use. Have a menu bar shortcut for audio sources and the computer still sees it. Have not had the problems reported earlier in this thread but am puzzled. Unplugging and reinserting the USB cable solved it both times. Hope I don't have a DAC problem or caught the El Cap USB Audio Flu.

wgscott

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2016, 09:24 pm »
I've got about 12 macs under my control running 10.11.X (X=3 now) since day 1 (and two of them had the 10.11 beta).  I haven't run into any of these problems (including a 2007 iMac and a 2009 mini).

One thing to watch out for is Apple is now really enforcing the policy of prohibiting third parties from installing stuff under /System  and  /usr (apart from /usr/local) and the other system folders, including /System/Library/Extensions and it will disable "drivers" already installed there.

There have been a lot of reports of USB anomalies, but I have been fortunate enough not to have gotten bit by that bug.

If anyone is contemplating an upgrade, a fresh clean install on a new partition might be the safest.

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2016, 10:30 pm »
I don't know if the update this week will help with anyone's woes. I think OSX is at 10.11.3 now which as I reread wgscott's post he already stated.

Blackmore

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jan 2016, 12:40 am »
The latest update has made my wi-fi work without having to disconnect/reconnect the Airport.  That's a big help.  I'll try my USB DAC later on tonight.

Andre2

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2016, 04:55 am »
Anybody knows how to make an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac Plus work under El captain 10.11.5?
I cannot drive my music using my Mac as a server anymore.  :roll:  :duh:  :banghead: :banghead:

rpf

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2016, 02:17 pm »
Anybody knows how to make an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac Plus work under El captain 10.11.5?
I cannot drive my music using my Mac as a server anymore.  :roll:  :duh:  :banghead: :banghead:

No, but I've had the same problem with my DAC Plus ever since I upgraded to Yosemite. I uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one (repeatedly). I kept getting a box stating that the driver was successfully installed but it didn't show up anywhere; and obviously I got no sound.

As I use a USB-SPDIF converter for better sound, I was only inconvenienced when that died and I had to decide on and order a new one. It was annoying though. There are some good converters for <= $200 but I won't buy another DAC that requires a driver.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2016, 06:16 pm by rpf »

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #37 on: 27 Aug 2016, 02:11 pm »
The KORG driver for ElCapitan was updated a month or two back.  Presently I'm using a NuPrime DAC and this works beautfully.  Decodes FLAC, DSD, the works

Andre2

« Reply #38 on: 5 Sep 2016, 02:57 pm »
ok, I bought a mintoslnik to toslink cable and plugged in the back of my Mac and now I am using the optical connection, as John has described here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107623.0

So my system is working again.  Thanks John.  :D