Carpet, Wood or Tile?

Early B.

Carpet, Wood or Tile?
« on: 12 Sep 2014, 08:33 pm »
I'm considering changing out the carpet in my 13' x 20' x 8' den where the audio system resides. I'm thinking about going with wood or tile flooring. Either way, I'll have at least a 5' x 8' rug in the middle of the room. My reluctance with pursuing wood or tile is the change it will make to the sound of my system. However, I don't know if the change will be subtle or dramatic, nor can I predict how the sound will change. The room is untreated and will remain so.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Carl V

Re: Carpet, Wood or Tile?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:28 pm »
if you put a nice thick rug (with pad) in-between you and the speakers
the sound should be pleasant & the change will be moderate. It will
be a bit more "live" with the perimeter no longer being carpet.  I have such
a set-up and like it better than wall to wall carpet which I have in a HT
room of similar size to yours. There are many audiophiles who much
prefer their rooms to be Wood for both the visual & acoustic esthetics.

ymmv.

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:36 pm »
I would say you will notice quite a large difference. With the rug, you'd at least still be absorbing the early reflections off the floor - but note a 5x8 rug is only 15% of the surface area of the floor - not very much. So you're removing quite a lot of absorption that the carpet is giving. However, carpet doesn't typically absorb in a perfectly broad fashion and it can definitely create issues where it absorbs a lot at certain frequencies and not much others, which can give decay time imbalances. Having a solid reflective floor will mean the decay will likely be a bit more even, but it also will be longer and more pronounced. It may be a pleasant change due to this, but the increase in flutter, reverberation, and other reflections could make it less pleasant.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:46 pm »
I would say you will notice quite a large difference. With the rug, you'd at least still be absorbing the early reflections off the floor - but note a 5x8 rug is only 15% of the surface area of the floor - not very much. So you're removing quite a lot of absorption that the carpet is giving. However, carpet doesn't typically absorb in a perfectly broad fashion and it can definitely create issues where it absorbs a lot at certain frequencies and not much others, which can give decay time imbalances. Having a solid reflective floor will mean the decay will likely be a bit more even, but it also will be longer and more pronounced. It may be a pleasant change due to this, but the increase in flutter, reverberation, and other reflections could make it less pleasant.

Hmmmm... sounds like a toss up.

I should mention that all four walls in my den are comprised of judge's paneling (i.e., wood)...not sure if that matters compared to drywall...

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:53 pm »
My house is on a slab (no basement). I put down a wood floor for three reasons: aesthetics - wood is nice; feel - it's a shoe free house and I'm barefoot all the time; acoustics - wood, music and conversation go well together.

I put down Schon Engineered (plywood) Maple 1/2"x 5" over QuietWalk underlayment throughout the whole house and I couldn't be happier. I also have a 8'x10' area rug from the speakers to under the listening sofa. Everyone agrees the room, which is an open floor plan kitchen/living room, sounds better than it should with no room treatments.

Wayne

Danne

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2014, 06:57 pm »
I'm considering changing out the carpet in my 13' x 20' x 8' den where the audio system resides. I'm thinking about going with wood or tile flooring. Either way, I'll have at least a 5' x 8' rug in the middle of the room. My reluctance with pursuing wood or tile is the change it will make to the sound of my system. However, I don't know if the change will be subtle or dramatic, nor can I predict how the sound will change. The room is untreated and will remain so.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

In an untreated room it will be a minor change. It's just affecting the highest frequencies and only on one surface (floor).
Since the room is untreated you will probably perceive this as an improvement. If you had a good acoustical designed room it would have a bigger impact.
Wood floor can give a more physical feeling if you have subwoofers, since it can resonate a little.

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2014, 06:34 am »
In an untreated room it will be a minor change. It's just affecting the highest frequencies and only on one surface (floor).
Since the room is untreated you will probably perceive this as an improvement. If you had a good acoustical designed room it would have a bigger impact.
Wood floor can give a more physical feeling if you have subwoofers, since it can resonate a little.

Note that, since most rooms are wider and longer than they are tall, the floor and ceiling are bar far the largest surfaces in the room - so even though it's only 'one' surface, it can take up over 30% of the room surface area.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:31 pm »
Wood with a rug made from organic material.  Like a so-called "Persian" rug, you know, plus pad.

undertow

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:30 pm »
"Real" wood floors with good underlayment are far and away the best for "Sound" if that is what you care about. The way it resonates, and real wood simply sounds more realistic, and organic. Do *NOT* put down synthetic or molded flooring crap like Pergo I know its way cheaper than real wood, but garbage not only acoustically, also durability over the long run its basically plastic... Biggest mistake of my life that stuff sounds worse than just setting it on pure concrete! Do not put down any stone or tile either.

However, you still need a Wall to Wall throw rug to capture the front of the speakers reflecting, you don't necessarily want 100% wood directly in front of them. But all around and under them is the best.