Multiple cheap(ish) subs to smooth bass frequencies

JDUBS

Multiple cheap(ish) subs to smooth bass frequencies
« on: 25 Sep 2016, 06:43 pm »
Hey Guys

I'd love to smooth out the 30-100hz response of my system.  I had been doing this using Audiolense and its a great solution but I want something that addresses this issue all around my listening area.

I don't need any more bass (I live in an apartment), I just want it to be even all around my room.

I've been thinking of adding a couple of cheap-ish powered subwoofers to accomplish this.  Anyone doing something similar?

Thanks,
Jim

milford3

Re: Multiple cheap(ish) subs to smooth bass frequencies
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 07:27 pm »
I use two subs in my system with the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's being my mains.  On the left  I have the Aperion 8D which is a duel side firing 8 inch drivers.   On the right side I have the SVS SB2000.  Bad news is good subs are not cheap.  I also added Isoacoustic stands for my subwoofers.  It makes a world of a difference using these stands for the low end and apartment living.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/?page_id=989

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 08:19 pm »
Duke at Audiokinesis sells the Swarm which accomplishes what you are seeking to do. There is a thread or a few on this forum about them.

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2016, 08:49 pm »
Duke at Audiokinesis sells the Swarm which accomplishes what you are seeking to do. There is a thread or a few on this forum about them.

Yes, of course, but thats not composed of multiple cheap(ish) subs.

Jim

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2016, 08:55 pm »
Yes, of course, but thats not composed of multiple cheap(ish) subs.

Jim

I didn't realize that the laws of physics change with the price of the subwoofer. You learn something new here everyday!

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:55 pm »
For great cheap subs, check out the bucket subs. They sound great, is easy and cheap to make, with the only problem that the looks has long ways to go  :D.  However, they are very small and easy to hide behind furniture compared to many commercial offerings. So they may look like a joke but by my own experience they are hard to beat as a musical sub unless you spend big $$ or have the room for OB subs. The build cost was around $80 each when I built two plus the cost of the amp. Crown XLS 1500 or 2000 is recommended. The bucket subs integrates smoothlessly in my system and I cant tell that I have subs on until I turn them off and the whole low end dissapear.

There are a few threads about them. Here's one: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128323.0

Odal3

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2016, 11:04 pm »

I heard the swarm at Axpona and they are sure great if you have the money for it. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

But the principles can be used with any subs, but just make sure you don't use subs designed more for HT with "crash, bang and rumble"

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2016, 11:33 pm »
I use dual Martin Logan original dynamo subs which are about the equivalent of the Dynamo 700 except with a better amp.  They are small, non ported and integrate seamlessly with my Magnepans.  I bought them both used for $180 and $280, they sold for $700 new. You see them pop up on Ebay and Audiogon from time to time. Velodyne made some good sounding small subs as well, like the SPL series.  They pop up as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:01 am »
Great thread topic, thanks!

I'm a fan of AudioKinesis (Duke LeJeune) who has commercialized the multiply in-room bass source concept.  It is the best way to produce flatter in-room bass response.  I run a DSPeaker, which is also a one-spot correction solution on top of a properly shaped room, near-field setup, and effective treatments but still am interested in this idea. 

But Duke's $3,000 USD Swarm (4 passive subs with one stereo subwoofer amp) ain't cheap (he showed it Axpona with $9,000 USD speakers).  But for the rest of us in smaller rooms and more modest budgets the challenge is developing deep/quality bass that is small and inexpensive that doesn't need to produce high sound pressure levels.  But those pesky laws of physics don't lend themselves to meeting all those criteria.

DIY is probably the most viable option.  Another option is to start out trying two sources and add one/two more as space/finances become available.  You could probably come up with plausible subs for under $300 each from cabinet kits, quality driver, and plate or freestanding stereo subwoofer amps.

Used subwoofers is a real crap shoot, unless you live in a large market due to shipping challenges and the abusive damage that many subs suffer. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:08 am »
Parts Express is great DIY option. It has complete enclosures as well drivers and plate amps
Scotty

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:46 am »
So Scotty, any suggestions from the Parts Express parts bin?

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:16 am »
I, too, am a fan of multiple subs.  They just seem to make sense.  I've only got two running with my full-range floor standers, but have plans to add a couple more.  The two I have generate a very musical bass and reduced bass peaks-nulls from ~20 dB to ~12 dB (+/- 6 dB) below 200 Hz.  I started with 2 Rythmik 12" sealed subs, and plan to add 10" and 15" cheap used subs.

*Scotty*

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:30 am »
There are a number of very good drivers from 8 inches to 18 inches. In every case a woofer will have to be chosen and a sub design worked up by the DIYer using online calculators. Eight inch subwoofers from Dayton Ultimax, Dayton Reference series, Peerless and Tang Band look like good prospects for a swarm.
 I would use high quality drivers for this project rather than the cheapos that are out there. Their longevity and predictable results from one speaker to the next make a strong argument for going first class rather than economy.
Scotty

JDUBS

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2016, 02:28 am »
I didn't realize that the laws of physics change with the price of the subwoofer. You learn something new here everyday!

Cool. 

Please leave this thread.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2016, 02:44 am »
Great thread topic, thanks!

I'm a fan of AudioKinesis (Duke LeJeune) who has commercialized the multiply in-room bass source concept.  It is the best way to produce flatter in-room bass response.  I run a DSPeaker, which is also a one-spot correction solution on top of a properly shaped room, near-field setup, and effective treatments but still am interested in this idea. 

But Duke's $3,000 USD Swarm (4 passive subs with one stereo subwoofer amp) ain't cheap (he showed it Axpona with $9,000 USD speakers).  But for the rest of us in smaller rooms and more modest budgets the challenge is developing deep/quality bass that is small and inexpensive that doesn't need to produce high sound pressure levels.  But those pesky laws of physics don't lend themselves to meeting all those criteria.

DIY is probably the most viable option.  Another option is to start out trying two sources and add one/two more as space/finances become available.  You could probably come up with plausible subs for under $300 each from cabinet kits, quality driver, and plate or freestanding stereo subwoofer amps.

Used subwoofers is a real crap shoot, unless you live in a large market due to shipping challenges and the abusive damage that many subs suffer.

Cool!   :thumb:

Yeah, Duke's stuff is great - just more expensive than I can manage right now.  I figured a couple of subs with something like a minidsp might be able to get me there.

-Jim

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:11 am »
Cool. 

-Jim

Of Course  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:39 am »
Cool. 

-Jim

I hope you guys are joking.

JCS

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:27 pm »
JDUBS,

Since you live in an apartment, I would suggest looking into OB style subs.  They put more bass into your room & less to the sides, top & bottom, which is to say, less into your neighbor's space.  OB bass won't make big, chest pounding thumps and won't reach as deep as sealed or ported subs, but it is very musical!

One place to begin studying:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html

Cheers,  Jim

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:36 pm »
My two pair of speakers have F3 of 27 and 41 Hz, so am looking for a "true" subwoofer (in-room response down to 20 Hz). 

andy_c

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2016, 10:42 pm »
So Scotty, any suggestions from the Parts Express parts bin?

Not Scotty, but I've built 4 of the Denovo flat pack sub enclosures from Parts Express.  They are of high quality, with very good bracing and very sturdy.  A listing of them is here.  Assembly of the flat packs is shown in this youtube video for a two-way Denovo home theater speaker, but all the Denovo flat pack speakers and subs are assembled similarly.

The flat pack sub boxes were designed for the Dayton Reference series and Ultimax drivers.  You'll need to check the specs for each one to see which driver it is designed for.