I went to hear the ASO symphony...

G E

I went to hear the ASO symphony...
« on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:29 am »
Last night was the premier for the ATlanta Symphony Orchestra's 2015-2016 season and Mahler's Second Symphony, "Resurrection" was the program.  Along with free champagne.

I don't expect my system to reproduce the bombast of a 100+ member orchestra with 150 chorale members, but it was a chance to recalibrate my expectations. Brass bite, woodwinds timbre and reproduction of female voice are among the things our VMPS systems do so well.

If you live in a community with a symphony - check it out. You will support an important element of the arts and have your hair blown back as well
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2015, 03:28 pm by G E »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: I went to hear the ASO symphony...
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:42 am »
The Symphony of my city have just 55 members!!  :violin:

G E

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:48 am »
Our core group is 77 members. Last year there was a lockout and a very late start. Part of the agreement was the reduced numbers with a gradual rebuilding.

They brought in some hired hands to meet the requirements of this program.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:57 am »
These musicians you mention earn a salary or volunteers?

weatherman1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2015, 05:47 am »
I fully agree that a live symphony, choral, or chamber presentation is a special sonic and mentally stimulating event.  In no way can it be rendered in any listening room other than where it is performed.  We can only strive to purchase devices that come close to our memory of the music we heard live.  I presently live in a rather small city in population but one which sustains a 79 member SO which plays at a revitalized downtown theatre and performance venue funded through donations, development money, and people with a vision.  Whether the group is made up of paid professionals, volunteers, University students, professors, etc. the energy of the performance and sonic interpretation is what moves us to support these as essential parts of the human experience.  I also attend other venue's; and, if the performer moved me I will purchase their music.  Without the live memory, how do we judge?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm »
These musicians you mention earn a salary or volunteers?

There are 52 orchestras in the U.S. where the musicians earn a living wage.  These salaries range from $25,000 to  $125,000. (Higher if you are a Principal player)  The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra would definitely be considered to be in this category.

There are another 80 orchestras in the U.S. that are  classified as Regional.  The  musicians usually get paid per service.  This can range from  $75 to as high as $250 per service

Regards

Randy

G E

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:26 pm »

....I presently live in a rather small city in population but one which sustains a 79 member SO which plays at a revitalized downtown theatre and performance venue funded through donations, development money, and people with a vision.  Whether the group is made up of paid professionals, volunteers, University students, professors, etc. the energy of the performance and sonic interpretation is what moves us to support these as essential parts of the human experience.....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your comments about your town' s SO playing in a revitalized downtown theater brings to mind Cedar Rapids and the incredible Paramount Theater.  What a show case!

As a boy in the '60's I went to many movies there. A grand old palace that a kid could step into and out of Iowa.  But as majestic a place I felt it was, I knew it was kinda run down and I wondered why they didn't do anything about it.  The carpets were threadbare and the drapes in front of the movie screen had several large patches. But they still opened them for trailers, closed them prior to the main show and opened again with a flourish just as opening titles ran.

Years later they restored it and lots of special events, tours and the SO played. In 2008 the city was hit by 1000 year flood event and ruined the Paramount Theater. The community rallied around it and the severely damaged downtown.

A couple years ago they had their grand re-opening and I happened to be in town and stopped in. The place was restored beyond what they had initially done and was a palace. I took quite a few pix and will share some here. They truly don't build them like this anymore.

And it is a wonderful testament to the citizens and government of CR that they had a vision and worked to make it happen. My mother attends events there, including the Symphony, and she is a proud supporter!
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2015, 03:20 pm by G E »

G E

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2015, 03:13 pm »
A few pix of the restored Paramount Theater in Cedar Rapids, IA after the historic flood in 2008.

The last three photos are not mine.

I wish the ASO had a facility half as nice as this.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2015, 03:42 pm »
There are 52 orchestras in the U.S. where the musicians earn a living wage.  These salaries range from $25,000 to  $125,000. (Higher if you are a Principal player)  The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra would definitely be considered to be in this category.

There are another 80 orchestras in the U.S. that are  classified as Regional.  The  musicians usually get paid per service.  This can range from  $75 to as high as $250 per service

Regards

Randy
Thanks Randy for the detailed post.
Our local musicians also are paid but in less values.

/mp

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:58 pm »
I wish the ASO had a facility half as nice as this.

There's a reason they were called movie palaces.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:14 pm »
I'm a member of a "regional"  symphony orchestra.  We have a core group of local players (that live within 50 miles) and we import players from as far as 200 miles away.   Everyone is hired from a master list of musicians and substitute musicians. 

Everyone gets paid depending on what chair/stand they play.

Most orchestras have Master agreements in place between the AFM and the Orchestra management.  The Master Agreements cover pay, how many services you'll be hired for, working conditions, player tenure requirements along with the player dismissal rules and other rules.

The Master Agreements are periodically renegotiated on a recurring cycle.  I don't recall if ours is every 3 or every 5 years.

Atlanta does have a nice Orchestra and as a member of a regional orchestra, I definitely recommend that you support your local symphony.

HsvHeelFan