Turntable Weight

Escott1377

Turntable Weight
« on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:31 am »
Can someone please recommend a few turntable weight options for me?

I own a VPI Classic 1.

I would like to stay in the sub $200 range.

Thanks in advance -

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Turntable Weight
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:50 am »

THROWBACK

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:41 pm »
Some people think the Classic sounds better with a cork mat and NO TT weight.

SteveRB

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2015, 04:47 pm »
VPI has great clamps and weights. The screw down clamp can usually be found on the used market when people 'upgrade' to the steel weight.

The perimeter weight is great. and expensive.

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2015, 04:59 pm »
Aluminati Sound.  Right here on AC.

Don P.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2015, 06:20 pm »
I use the VPI HRX center weight ($149) and periphery ring clamp ($999) on my Classic 3 with excellent results.

Just my opinion: the ring clamp is pretty expensive for the sonic improvement provided. But it looks really cool!

Gzerro

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2015, 06:38 pm »
The periphery ring clamp is really great, but way over $200. Especially good on slightly warped or dished albums, but I use it almost all the time.

If you don't use the ring, in my opinion the clamp that comes stock with the table is better than a weight. I don't hear a difference between the VPI Delrin Clamp vs. the Steel Clamp. Both seem fine.

I also have the Aluminati Sound weight. It is not as heavy as the HRX weight, but works fine. Very cool looking and less expensive than the VPI weights.

Interesting to see all of different opinions on this topic.

Tom

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm »
If you can hunt one down, TTW (Turntable Weights) made one especially for VPI 'tables. It's solid brass with built-in bubble level and spindle hole threaded for VPI.  IIRC, I paid $99 for mine, but I don't see them on the TTW site anymore. You might contact them directly, or look on Audiogon, eBay, etc.

On my Classic I, it works as well or better then the supplied clamp,perhaps giving more 'weight' to the low end.

Happy hunting,

Mark