What is the best vintage preamp?

Mike B.

Re: What is the best vintage preamp?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm »
You can't go wrong with a older tube pre from USA Marantz, Audio Research, or Conrad-Johnson. They will hold their value and often go up from what you paid

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »
i yust received an email from mark porzilli today; i will post it, if he gives permission.  basically, he said there will be an upgrade-resto service for all melos gear, opening before mid 2010 at latest.  w/this knowledge, i would be on that a/a ma333 for asking $1275, if you can live w/3 inputs plus two additional tape loops.  i used to have this configuration; i traded it for a single-ended iteration that has 6 inputs plus two tape loops...  get an outboard fono-stage; that is what i have.

doug s.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:18 pm »
Agree with posters above the Marantz 7 is an obvious answer. Be aware the Marantz 7 used a selenium diode as its rectifier and these need to be replaced. The voltage drop across the selenium diode is different than modern silicon diodes so this must be accounted for.

I will add a couple to your growing list:
Audio Research SP-6 sound great and run forever once the electrolytic caps are replaced.

Counterpoint preamps are a favorite of mine. I own the SA-3000. These are still supported here http://www.altavistaaudio.com/

Happy New Year!

Listens2tubes

« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2009, 11:50 pm »
I have seen an NOS selenium rectifier for the Marantz 7 on ebay. Selenium rectifiers do not age when not in a circuit. That means a new one could last as long as the ones currently running in original Marantz 7 preamp as I write this. 40+ years.

Minn Mark

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:51 pm »
Apt Holman

Hafler DH-1 or DH 110

SAE (2900, 2100)

Audio Research (tubed)

BobM

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm »
I'm still using my Audio Prism Mantissa, although I did recap it with Teflon input and putput coupling caps. It's mid-late 90's vintage, so not quite as old as you'd like. But they do come up for sale sometimes (though not often) within your price range. It is definitely one of the most musical and transparent (with the Teflons) preamps I've heard. Great texture and bloom and detail all in one package.

baldrick

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:07 pm »
The Hafler DH-110 gets my vote.
The phono stage is very good, and the preamp still stands up very respectably.  One of the nicest solid state preamps at a reasonable price.
The defeatable tone controls are nice as is the external processing loop and (defeatable) subsonic filter.

And for those of us who are vinyl affecitonados the dual phono inputs are nice as is the easily adjustable phono cartridge loading.  If you are one of the lucky ones that has the DH-112 low output MC headamp that was a built-in option you will agree with me.

Best is that there are examples kicking around that sell for dirt cheap.

DFaulds

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:21 pm »
A few that I have that I like a lot are:

Rappaport (not sure of the model#, but it’s the one with the outboard power supply)
Precision Fidelity C7
Lafayette KT-600
NYAL Minuet in A
Altec 445A

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #28 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:18 pm »
I once owned an Advent model 300 (integrated amp) but used as a pre amp. Excellent  match with my GAS Son of Ampzilla

Great phono section and not expensive

jaywills

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm »
Another vote here for Melos (I have a SHA Gold Reference (allegedly Maestro) from MAR).  Good thing: sound.  Bad thing: SOL for repair service if needed.  If Porzilli ever gets his outfit up and running, that will make things considerably better.  Good luck.. Cordially,

hotroady

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:39 pm »
A Dynaco PAT-5 modded by AVA would be on my list.

Wayner
                                                                                                 I agree with Wayner. I got my used Transendence/Pat 5 from Frank at AVA. Frank went through the unit and gave new warrenty. Versatile , reliable, neutral, fast. Like the gold plated phono plugs. Phono section works well with vintage turntables. Paid 500 bucks. Use with Ultimate 70, nice combo.

marc brown

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2013, 05:33 pm »
The original Nakamichi CA5 is an outstanding piece. I have owned a couple of Yamaha preamps, not in the same league. The parts/build quality of the CA5 is amazing considering its age.

I know this is a very old thread, but we are talking about vintage preamps . . .  :)

If you had to choose between a Luxman CX-300 and the Nakamichi CA5, which one would it be?