I have been holding off telling everyone this...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
I have been holding off telling everyone this...
« on: 7 Jul 2014, 10:21 pm »
because it seems like all I do is complain about my health.  I have to try to keep my personal life separate from business, but in the last few years I have not been able to do so.

One of the many results from my accident in 2012 has been the development of rapid onset cataracts in both eyes.  I am legally blind.  Everything is seen through what I can best describe as muddy windows.  This is the result of many years of outdoor activities a lot on the water (back when there was water in New Mexico - you Texans take it all).  I was a water skier and swimmer.  Fast forward to 2012.  I was on a lot steroids, oxycontin and some others after the wreck.  The last few months has been a quick trip to where I am today.

I waited until now because I was conflicted with delivering this news.  I have an appointment with an opthomologist tomorrow to schedule me for surgery.  After the last couple of years this is very welcome news.  I didn't have to have the chest surgery and I am thankful for that.  Now I can (insert pun) see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for all of you that have cut me slack on delivery times.  It has been one thing after another, but things are (here comes another one) looking up.  I am slowly getting things delivered.  My grandaughter Rileigh has been a Godsend in the last few weeks, driving me around.  She is 15 and the time adds up for her Driver Education class.  Good for both of us.

Recovery time is very quick, but I'll probably be the same old slow Dave.  That's just me.

See ya'll real soon  8)

Dave

ebag4

Re: I have been holding off telling everyone this...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2014, 10:37 pm »
Best of luck with the cataract surgery Dave.  My mother recently had this and it was a revelation for her, she said it was like losing several veils, sounds like a new cap or other tweak!  Haha.

Best,
Ed

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm »
Just imagine how many more veils will be lifted if Dave has the surgeon plug into an Uberbuss for all his equipment before the surgery! 

Best of luck with the surgery :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2014, 11:14 pm »
Hey Dave

Hang in there man,   the cataract surgery will not be   bad at all and  although it will take a bit of time  before your eyesight in  "normal" again,  yo uwill   see immediate results  :)

-jay

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm »
My sister just had cataract surgery.  I was her designated driver for the operation and follow up appointment. The operation was easy.  She is very happy with the results.

Best of luck.  Don't worry, be happy.  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2014, 11:20 pm »
Geez, Dave. Your eye sight is extremely important (as though you need me to tell you...). Get the doc to fix you up so you can fix us up.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2014, 01:11 am »
Keep us updated on the recovery.  My brother had great results from his cataract surgery, and I'm sure you will too.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
Hope that everything goes smoothly and your recovery is quick Dave!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:57 am »
Thanks, everyone.  My surgeon is reputed to be the best around.  He did both of our daughter's surgeries and many of our friends with great results.  I'm just wanting all of this to be over. 

I loathe and detest GM.  Then again, I should have been keeping closer tabs on my potassium levels.  I wouldn't be here if I had.  Still pisses me off that I have no recourse against GM for the data recorder/airbag controller and seat belt restraint.  "Unrelated to the ignition switch" debacle, or so I am told.  :roll:

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:24 am »
Hi Dave.
Yesterday, my cousin in Montreal told me via Skype that he had his cataract removed
and believe me or not, the next day he was able to read all the letters right down to the last one
at the bottom of the card at the ophthalmologist's office.
That might be exceptional, but I am sure you can be as lucky as him, that's what I wish you.

Guy 13

I was operated twice (At 15 and 30 years old) for strabism (Not sure of the word in English,
but in simple words it's: Crocked eyes), today those types of eyes operations are almost routine.

rabbits

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:26 am »
Get well soon. Good luck.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:39 am »
Best of luck with the surgery Dave. About 10 years ago I had the lens in my right eye replaced, essentially the same as cataract surgery. It worked wonders, prior to the operation I could not see anything other than nebulous shapes. While not perfect, it now corrects to about 20/30. May your results be even better.

Mike

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2014, 09:12 am »
Had cataracts removed from both eyes nearly 6 years ago, was extremely near sighted, now can legally drive without glasses and colors look better.  Didn't realize that the haze was yellow.  The surgery and recovery were easy.  This is the most often done surgery in the world and is very quick.  My only glitch was not having the right implant on hand the day of surgery, but a trip to another surgical place 45 miles away (while I waited on the stretcher) took care of that.

Take Care

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:45 pm »
Dave,
Good luck with the operation!  It went well for both my mom and my sister.

Rouslanbel

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm »
All the best with your surgery. My mome had it a few years ago - it was a great blessing for her.
She is now reading again.

dflee

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm »
Thinking of you today Dave. Hope things go your way.
Do you make Rileigh wear the chauffeurs hat while driving?

Nit
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2014, 04:44 pm by dflee »

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:13 pm »
Hey Dave,
Hurry up & get your eyes fixed before we "nickname" you!!!

Cheers,
Pete

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:22 pm »
Dave,

I had cataracts removed from both eyes a year and a half ago. It was easy and my sight was immediately better. It should go well. Good luck.

Rob

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2014, 10:35 pm »
When are they going to fix your ears??!!
 :green:
Get well soon Dave, ya better be there next LSAF.

cheers,

AJ

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jul 2014, 11:07 pm »
When are they going to fix your ears??!!
 :green:
Get well soon Dave, ya better be there next LSAF.

cheers,

AJ
Now, that is funny :lol:  Thanks, AJ.  Been a long road since the accident, but things are definitely getting better, my friend.