Headphone Stand Lovers and PICS Thread: ALL Stands Welcome!!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Krikor,
that's nice, takes care of the cable too!
Well done!

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
I like that.    :thumb: Whats the box?  Dac/Amp?

JDS Labs CMOYBB amp... instead of mounting it in an Altoids tin, I used a smaller one I had sitting around that formerly held M&Ms. I didn't need room for a battery since I'm using an outboard linear power supply I built from a Welborne Labs kit.

Blu99Zoomer

Krikor,

Ikea parts bin, really?!  I have been shopping at the wrong store.  Very nice DYI indeed.  Making me jealous.  Thanks for the picture.  Is that a bamboo base?

Blu99Zoomer

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Krikor,

Ikea parts bin, really?!  I have been shopping at the wrong store.  Very nice DYI indeed.  Making me jealous.  Thanks for the picture.  Is that a bamboo base?

Blu99Zoomer

Yes, bamboo. It's the IKEA Aptitlig chopping board.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
And what are the metal pieces from?  I tried to find them online to no avail.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
And what are the metal pieces from?  I tried to find them online to no avail.

Here are the details.

Hanger - Capita 4" leg ($12 for a pack of four): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30263575/#/60263574

Upright - Ekby 11" bracket ($10 for a pack of two): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10136135/#/10136135

Cord Wrap - Attest knobs ($5 for a pack of two): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138750/

Base - Aptitlig bamboo chopping board ($5 for one): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60233426/

In addition, you'll need to get a couple short countersunk screws to mount the bracket to the base, a couple bolts for the cord wrap knobs since the ones provided are too long and a large bolt to mount the leg to the bracket - figure about another $3.

Putting it together is very easy. Most difficult part is drilling the large hole in the bracket/upright where the leg/hanger attaches, but the metal is very soft and drills out easily (I used a cheap unibit). The holes for the cord wrap knobs already exist in the bracket as the set screw locations when used for a shelf.

Obviously given the mis-matching quantity of how the parts are packaged results in varying costs depending upon how many you build:
- One stand costs about $35 and you'll have 3 extra legs and 1 extra bracket
- Two stands cost about $48 total or $24 each and you'll have 2 extra legs (that's what I did as an extra $13 for second stand was a no-brainer)
- Three stands cost about $71 total or $23.66 each and you'll have 1 extra leg and 1 extra bracket
- Four stands cost about $84 total or $21 each with all legs and brackets used

apollophono

Krikor:
I like the look and the PRICE!.  Now that's what I call ingenuity.
Thanks for sharing the parts list and instructions.   :thumb:

Blu99Zoomer

Sounds like either the basis for some good looking raffle prizes at the next head-fi meet, gifts for younger family members who are looking to get into head fi, or the start of a beautiful fun, family  business venture.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.  The rest of us have some work to do now...

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Krikor:
I like the look and the PRICE!.  Now that's what I call ingenuity.
Thanks for sharing the parts list and instructions.   :thumb:

I can't take credit for the basic design. Got it from ikeahackers.net. My only contribution was the addition of the bamboo base.

Blu99Zoomer

I  think the bamboo was a good choice with the modern metal trinkets.  I wonder how an exotic wood would pair with the metal?   Do you feel that the base is stable enough width and length wise?  I like the simplicity of the design, too.  I went down to the workshop this morning looking with new eyes.  A short length of 4" piece of PVC pipe with an old sock over it mounted to a piece of pine with a base attached starts to look interesting...  That old wood towel rack/curtain hold back with a 1/2" wood dowel and a rosette at the end of it, foam pipe insulation over the dowel to make it softer, hmmm...

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
I  think the bamboo was a good choice with the modern metal trinkets.  I wonder how an exotic wood would pair with the metal?   Do you feel that the base is stable enough width and length wise? 

Completely stable, absolutely no issues with regards to potential tip-over. I made two of these and have two legs leftover, but I recently picked up the parts needed to make an additional double stand using the shelf brackets back to back on a single bamboo board. Will post when I get around to that.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition

Here's mine. The Tomahawk and wood block are both significant.

Doc

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
I love it.

However, I think if I used that as my office 'phones stand, I might get some looks...

ajzepp

:duh: :duh: :duh:  Wow, this is embarrasing! Okay, I'm going to try reverse psychology..."Im NEVER going to post the pic!!!"  There, that way maybe I actually WILL post it soon...let's try that :)

Krikor, nice job bud!!!  Glad you guys have this thread rollin'...and that axe stand has great PRAT!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Yes, and in fact we actually no longer wish to see the pic.  Please don't ever post a pic with your headphones on a stand.

FireGuy

Got this vision while in my son's kitchen.   It's not a break through idea and I'm sure it's been noted somewhere here on this forum, but it works for me quite well.  Very portable, inexpensive and looks damn nice... with real wood.  Headphones meet banana holder.

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2015, 03:37 pm by FireGuy »

milford3

My solution to headphone stands.  Five screws in drywall.  Works for me.

Wayner

I just cobbled up something to hang mine on. I also drilled a hole on the end for the 1/4" adapter and put a third peg on the board to hang my extension cord. I'm sure a kid in 4H could have done better, but it works.

'ner

Blu99Zoomer

So I was finally able to stop by the local lumber yard when the guy who runs their wood shop was not too busy.  I explained that I was interested in building a simple headphone stand.  I mentioned that I would like to find a short piece of locally sourced hardwood, 5/4 to 8/4 in thickness.  Maybe 6-8" by 12" in size.  This particular lumber yard deals in locally sourced woods.  They supply timber framers, carpenters, furniture makers, and hobbyists.  There is another yard in the state that has most of the exotic woods.  So I guess I will have to make a trip there too to see what is on hand, like the coca bola in the thread's first post.  I picked up a piece of 8/4 by 3 foot long by 6 inches wide sassafras which he nicely edge planed and thickness planed on three sides and really brought out the nice figure of the wood.  I have been thinking about how to join an upright to the base and would like to learn how to make a sliding dovetail joint. (Sounds like a Beatles' song.)  With the 8/4 thickness, I am afraid I will have to make it by hand with a chisel and saw rather than a router bit though.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
OK this stand will outbest the Milford screw.
This is a real Stand for $2,50 only, and you can exercise your painter skills and color it to your liking with crayons from yours children.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-Styrofoam-Mannequin-Manikin-Head-Model-Foam-Wig-Hair-Hat-Glasses-Display-/391181469055?tfrom=270959618684&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined