192/24 files - how do you play them?

ratso

192/24 files - how do you play them?
« on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm »
yes i'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, sorry. but if you can't physically connect your computer to your system (different rooms) than how do you play these? i have somehow collected a few .wav files (picked them up for free somewhere) and am curious to listen to them. i will probably get the new iDac from peachtree audio which can do spdif to 192/48. i don't believe these can be just burned to a disc and played through my oppo bdp-80 to the dac can they? (i mean with any normal software that doesn't cost thousands). and i don't think i can somehow put them on my ipod touch and play them (the dac has a built in ipod dock)?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 192/24 files - how do you play them?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
Standard DVD burning of these files will support only 24/96 (called linear PCM).  You'll need to author a DVD-Audio disc for anything above 24/96, and then would need a DVD-Audio disc player.   Authoring DVD-A discs isn't simple, but with the right software (surrcode MLP, Disc Welder, etc) can be done.

So, why can't you have a $800 small box (Mac Mini, linux-based Auraliti, etc) sit next to your system with an inexpensive (read EE DAC $750) DAC.  or the iDac will work, playing them off a hard drive.

Or...just downconvert the files to something you can play.

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:50 pm »
thanx ted! just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything obvious. i have seen a few of the programs you mentioned and i think that none of them are very cheap. and sure i could put a small computer next to my system, but again, these are a few files i got for free and not really worth a substantial monetary investment just to fulfill my curiosity. shame there still isn't any easy simple and cheap way to play hi-rez music above 24/96.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:30 pm »
DVD-Audiophile (free) will burn DVD-A discs.  I've used it for 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192 files.  I'm using it on my Mac, where it will burn gapless.  I've heard the Windows version might have discontinuities at track boundaries; I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:27 pm »
DVD-Audiophile (free) will burn DVD-A discs.  I've used it for 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192 files.  I'm using it on my Mac, where it will burn gapless.  I've heard the Windows version might have discontinuities at track boundaries; I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

Rbbert,
First off, welcome to the Hirez Circle.  :thumb:

Second, what is Dvd-audiophile?  I am a long time DVD-audio user, and author of many of these primers on my Circle and have never heard of DVD-Audiophile.  Do you mean it will rip DVD-Audio material (burning DVD-Audio to MLP requires authoring and MLP surcodes before a disc is burnt.)?  The DVD-Audio (MLP) ripping software that I',m aware of, and have threads about, include DVDAExplorer and DVD Audio Extractor.  Neither are very stable on the MAC but are getting there, I believe.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm »
Rbbert,
Thanks for that.  I know there are a few folks who want to roll their own DVD_Audio discs, and this tool is helpful, especially with authoring mumbojumbo included right in the same tool.

jamesg11

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:51 am »
DVD-Audiophile (free) will burn DVD-A discs.  I've used it for 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192 files.  I'm using it on my Mac, ...

Hey, this is what I'm after ... but, it doesn't seem to be a Mac program!  How are you using it?

jamesg11

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2011, 12:16 pm »
Well, it certainly is Mac.  But, I'm not having much success getting to a burnt dvd-a.  Can I be pointed in the right direction here? -
1. drop a sample 24/192aiff file into dvd-audiofile window (29secs, 192000 sample rate, 24 bit depth, 32mb size)
2. click "create iso" - select folder to receive image.iso
3. processes & declares success, with dvdlog.txt & image.iso in folder
4. BUT, open image.iso - & the biggest file in the audio_ts folder is 131kb! - & dvdlog.txt is saying it was working with 0 size raw pcm data.
Thanks!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:14 pm »
I use the Minnetonka discWelder Steel program.  There is a newer entry level program called discWelder Bronze that should work just as well and a lot less expensive.  It is a DVD-Audio Authoring program that is very easy to use. 

Hope you can get the other program running.

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:53 pm »
Look in Finder and see how that aiff file is identified.  For some reason unknown to me, some wav and aiff files are "audio documents" and some are "audio files".  If yours is an "audio document", DVD-Audiofile won't use it.  I just use XLD or xACT to convert everything to FLAC and then put those files into DVD-Audiofile; there's no confusion then.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2011, 03:02 pm »
I was just going to say same thing.  AIFF can be labeled incorrectly (or actually there is AIFF-C, etc.) and sometimes programs throw the document tag on it.  Also, realize that if you ripped a DVD-Audio and are using these programs to burn a copy, you may run into watermarks.  Most Oppos play through watermarks, many other players don't.  When you get 15 seconds of music, then silence, it's a watermarked recording.

jamesg11

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:41 am »
Hmmm... From Finder Get Info: "Kind: AIFF Audio File; Size: 33.7mb" etc.  Looks okay! But, ... I'll have a go at the flac conversion.

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2011, 01:30 am »
I also just tested the Windows version of DVD-Audiofile and find it works almost the same for me as the Mac version, and will burn gapless DVD-A's.   However, it messes up with FLAC files and I have to use WAV on it.  Go figure.

jamesg11

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:59 am »
Yep, this time using just flac files I got a successful dvd-a burn & playable through the CA BDP650, though it's likely to be doing some sort of downmixing in the av. Next is to get the dac fired up, & into the serious gear - & my atlona hd577 has just arrived. Hi-res future here we go. Thanks, for the advice!