Pictures of the original Speakerlab SUPER 7

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Pictures of the original Speakerlab SUPER 7
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:34 am »
The tweeter and midrange in the original Super 7 look like the EV drivers from early K-Horns. 

I have a pair of each horn driver a friend gave me after he took apart his K-Horn clones. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:44 am »
I KNOW this is an old thread, but I was looking on-line for some info on my Super 7's & stumbled across this thread -- bottom line, if Danny Richie is still around, I trained with John Burkholder, the person you're talking about, for years.  He has that ad of himself holding the Super 7 speaker up in his personal gym!  Just thought it was crazy to find that connection here. 
Cheers.

That's really cool.

UW85

« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2015, 07:53 am »
That's really cool.

It's been a while since I've seen him -- this would be a great excuse to drop by -- I'll take a pic of that poster & put it up here.  Maybe a couple others he has as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:42 pm »
It's been a while since I've seen him -- this would be a great excuse to drop by -- I'll take a pic of that poster & put it up here.  Maybe a couple others he has as well.

Hey, I'd really like that.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2015, 09:10 pm »

I would like to see this as well, I grew up here in Seattle and spent a ton of time at Speakerlab. I build a pair of Super 7's in the day and had them for several years. I also built a bunch of their 504s and .01s for my car once I started driving, that was a lot of fun.

lillys_pillow

« Reply #25 on: 24 Mar 2015, 03:44 pm »
Just to throw in my $0.02 on this older thread, I built a pair of these (config similar to the OP's pictures) as a teen in 1978 or so and they indeed rocked a party or two.

A couple years later I needed cash as a poor college student. My uncle, a vintage audiophile, coveted the speakers and we bartered for some cash and his bicycle.
Last year he moved into assisted living and I made sure I got those speakers back. They went directly to my storage unit and I haven't heard them, guess it's
been more than 30 years since I last did.

Scotty

UW85

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2015, 02:44 am »
I would like to see this as well, I grew up here in Seattle and spent a ton of time at Speakerlab. I build a pair of Super 7's in the day and had them for several years. I also built a bunch of their 504s and .01s for my car once I started driving, that was a lot of fun.

I finally went out and worked out with John.  At 65 he's still a beast.  He told me at on his 64th b-day he put up 315 on the bench!  That's 3 plates on each side!  Crazy.  Anyway, here is a pic of that poster he has up in his office wall -- I asked but he didn't want to stand in the pic.  Not sure why. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:21 am »
I finally went out and worked out with John.  At 65 he's still a beast.  He told me at on his 64th b-day he put up 315 on the bench!  That's 3 plates on each side!  Crazy.  Anyway, here is a pic of that poster he has up in his office wall -- I asked but he didn't want to stand in the pic.  Not sure why. 

That's great and I remember it well. It is good to see that old picture again.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:01 am »

This is really cool! I remember they had this poster in the store, I used to hang out there when I was a teenager. I Built a pair of Super 7's but they looked a lot different than these pictured, sounded pretty darn good thou and were pretty efficient. I never met John and didn't know anything about him but heard that he was a body builder.

On a side note: I'm getting really close to finishing my audio room in North Seattle, "Bothell area" and would like to find some people from AC who would like to do some listening get togethers and play with different gear. I'll start a thread but should be ready by mid August, it's a dedicated building 20'x30'x10' and I insulated it really well along with RC channel so no problem turning up the music.

Good memories from the old Speaker Lab folks, too bad it was sold to the people who own it now.

DFaulds

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:18 am »
That model probably used to Nestorovic woofer alignment.  I think their first model that used the dual woofer Nestorovic alignment was called the S30, although I could be mistaken.  I've got a number of old Speakerlab catalogs so I'll have to lookup some of the models.

The Speakerlab model I always wanted was the SK, which was their version of the Klipschorn.  They used their own cast metal 350Hz mid horn, and initially an EV T350 as tweeter, but switched to their own wave aperture WA4000 tweeter later.  I think the lats version of their SK actually used a direct radiating Audax 6", which essentially ruined the whole concept.

wshuff

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jul 2015, 02:13 pm »
Love the picture!

Now I want to see one of Danny, holding up an LS9.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jul 2015, 07:43 pm »
Love the picture!

Now I want to see one of Danny, holding up an LS9.

wshuff, even Danny holding up his version of the Super 7 would be something to see, My Super V's are really heavy and are much smaller.

ishwashgus

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2018, 11:50 pm »
Nice Super 7's! I have an old 1978 letter from Speakerlab, that 7's and Superlab 7 owners should find interesting, to wit, the 10' woofer is wired backwards and if you connect your red wire to the terminal with the red mark (conventionally), it will be out of phase with the 12" woofer, so one has to connect the red wire to the black speaker terminal of the 10" speaker and the black wire to the terminal with the red mark. This is true for at least a number of the 10" Speakerlab speakers stamped 7819. I checked mine and found, sure enough, it is true for my 7's. You should check yours with a 9-volt battery though, to confirm.