Improved LDR Impedance - Peformance

robertopisa

Re: Improved LDR Impedance - Peformance
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:50 pm »
Sorry but I have to disagree. Either your system has some problems or there is an impedance mismatch. Using impedance as a treble control is a bit weird... what I experienced is that in case of impedance mismatch, the bass is loose and less controlled and the soundstage is narrow with less clean highs: but this is drawback, not a virtue to use for treble control :)

Our "listening results" indicate that this is a HUGE feature.  The only two impedance values we could "choose from" at the time were 10K and 20K.  With two different systems the effect on the high frequencies was obvious.  On one "bright" system, switching from 20 to 10K seemed to roll off the highs in a pleasing manner.  In the other system, the lower impedance "dulled" the highs.  SO, I'm experiencing that the varying impedance capability acts as a sort of "treble control" (I'm an old fart and can remember these things).  Of course now you will also be competing with interconnect manufacturers!!!/???.

stellavox

« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:39 pm »
Hi Robertopisa,

We heard differences on TWO systems.  Doubt that both had "problems" - but one was all tube and one was all SS.  We heard two different situations - LDR INPUT impedance (without buffer) affecting the highs and buffer in/out (output impedance) affecting the lows.  Please  describe the "impedance mismatch" situation you mention that affected both the lows and highs on your system.

Thanks

Charles

robertopisa

« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:00 am »
Hello Charles,

I do not disagree with the fact that "LDR INPUT impedance (without buffer) affecting the highs and buffer in/out (output impedance) affecting the lows"

It is the text that I previously quoted above. Transparency is the reason to adopt LDR attenuators as volume controls, which are less colored than those provided by most active preamps. Same for interconnect cables, which should be transparent when letting flow the signal. In the quoted text, if I understood correctly (and no intention to start a flame), it seems that you use the LdR3x, the output buffer, and the interconnect cables as equalizers, which is the opposite of transparency. Mismatch among the components is sometimes the reason for bright or mudded sound, and IMHO using the LDR impedance and cables to equalize is not the best way to go, just my 2 cents :)

-Roberto