Took delivery of some brand new Vapors

Gopher

Took delivery of some brand new Vapors
« on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:13 pm »
I'm excited to report that I just took delivery of some custom Stiff Breeze speakers from Ryan yesterday! 

These speakers have a beautiful custom veneer and painted baffle and a ton of upgrades inside including jupter caps, dueland resistors, jensen wax impregnated inductors, western electric 16ga wiring and an isolated cross-over built into custom stands rather than in the cabinets. 

First impressions are extremely positive.  It throws a very wide stage, has great tonality and resolution and is super engaging.  I'm honestly not sure how this speaker never got more popular.   

As many of you know, Ryan isn't currently taking on new speaker projects until he's through with his existing queue, but this is a reminder that he's still out there working and making absolutely beautiful stuff. 

A big thank you to Ryan and Pete for soldiering through this with so much on your existing plates.   I'm a happy camper.

won ton on

Re: Took delivery of some brand new Vapors
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:22 pm »
Great looking speakers.is that an raal tweeter.What kind of binding post's are they, also what is the connector.A close up pic would be nice to see.

restrav

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:26 pm »
wow thats a beauty. what is the amplification u r using with it?

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:27 pm »
what is that cable connector?

Factorz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:35 pm »
They look great! Happy to hear Ryan is still making great speakers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:38 pm »
what is that cable connector?

On the bottom is WBT, on the top is a locking Neutrik right angle connector. I use them in my own system and they are very nice, safe & reliable.

Best,
Anand.

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:40 pm »
I'm not sure what kind of connector it is actually.  I believe it's WBT, but I'll be happy to snap a pic later. 

Yes, that is indeed a RAAL.  Pretty uncommon in a speaker at it's retail price.   

I plan on using a Musical Design amplifier (was a D-75B Platinum but I already sent it out to John Hillig for one round of upgrades a year ago and it's back with him for another) which mated extremely well with a pair of Cirrus speakers at AXPONA 2016, but while it's out I've put a backup amplifier I had on hand in place...  a Virtue Audio TWO.2 and this little T-Amp is doing an admirable job!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2017, 05:45 pm »
Very nice Fred!

What's the color on that baffle?

EdRo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2017, 06:40 pm »
I had a buddy with that same color on his 74 Monte Carlo. NICE!!!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2017, 06:40 pm »
Those speakers look fantastic  :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:19 pm »
Serious eye candy. Congrats!

standub

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:28 pm »

First impressions are extremely positive.  It throws a very wide stage, has great tonality and resolution and is super engaging.  I'm honestly not sure how this speaker never got more popular.   

I think the fact that Vapor is more known for the amazing cabs (seriously amazing work by Ryan and EdRo) that a speaker with "just" a normal cab from them kinda gets forgotten about.

shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:40 pm »
Congratulation Fred.  Nice looking speakers.

neekomax

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:43 pm »
Very very nice! Happy to see you continuing the audio odyssey in style.  :)

Gopher

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:47 pm »
Tom,

I'm honestly not sure on the baffle color.  Under some light it looks silver, under some it looks more champagne.  Ryan has good taste and has been an overnight guest at my home, so I told him (having spent time in my living room) to surprise me on the finish.  I honestly expected him to paint the cabs, but he went above and beyond with a fantastic veneer.

Standub,

You're probably right about that.  I myself ignored them in their product line until I actually talked to Pete about them.   He filled me in on how the SB was one of their first efforts and that it was a big inspiration for the Nimbus.  I understand the Stiff Breeze is also a inspiration behind a new endeavor they are licensing.   :thumb:

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:32 pm »
Congrats Fred, they look amazing!

bajaed

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:44 pm »
Wow, really gorgeous! I know they sound amazing. Fill us in on the veneer, looks familiar.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Took delivery of some brand new Vapor
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2017, 09:27 pm »
Wow! Stunning speakers And really great news that Ryan, Vapor et al are moving forward and continuing to produce gorgeous Vapor product. I too think that the Stiff Breeze was probably overshadowed by some of the larger speakers in the Vapor line which seemed to have come out all at once, a shame really because the Stiff Breeze are such seriously good speakers.
I have a pair of Stiff Breeze - as well as Tuonares - and still contnue to enjoy them. Again, very happy to hear that Ryan is working away. My best holiday wishes to all the Vapor family members.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2017, 09:49 pm »
Great stuff Fred. How do they compare to your Auroras?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2017, 11:25 pm »
Congratulations, Fred.

That veneer is incredible. Which wood is it?