Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!

boycephoto

Re: Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:36 pm »
Well I have the same question as Jerry.  But the phase inverter is not feed the power of the amps, it is placed between the preamp and power amps.  I have heard AVA say about 4 times the power with a phase inverter,also 3 times and now 2X with the U70 or UltraValve.  Just curious I guess.

But... what difference does it make as long as the system has enough power to satisfy your needs.     

Wayner

« Reply #41 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:38 pm »
It's not the inverter "knowing" anything, it's just how the Ultravalve behaves when put into this configuration. The power is simply the sum of the two channels. I believe this is because of the output transformers. The hybrid and SS will tripple their power.

Wayner  :xmas:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #42 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:39 pm »
Just going to say that I am sure that the Ultravalve is a wonderful sounding amp and probably COULD sound better than the current iteration of the U70 (since the free little mod). However, I am so happy with my U70 that I don't think I would want to go through much effort to try to top it. Easiest thing to do would be to sell your U70 and buy an Ultravalve.

Me, I am going to keep my U70 and just enjoy it. After several months of performing the "upgrade" it still can AMAZE me....

Note, I have not heard the ultravalve and am just expressing a useless opinion.

Wayner

« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
Again,

We were running two Ultravalves at RMAF in this configuration and powering Jim Salk's new HT-4s with tremendous results. I too, thought the power would tripple, but Frank corrected me on this and pointed out the output trasnformers. 2 Ultravales with almost any speaker would be impressive.

Wayner  :xmas:
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 07:41 pm by Wayner »

avahifi

« Reply #44 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:59 pm »
The "catch" when bridging vacuum tube amplifiers is that you need to go down to the next lower output transformer matching tap for correct impedance matching to the speaker.  A 16 ohm speaker looks like an 8 ohm load to a bridged amp, an 8 ohm speaker a 4 ohm load and so on.

With solid state amplifiers with very low output impedances there is no multiple output taps, one source drives anything within the current limits of the amplifier.

With vacuum tube amplifiers you need to match impedances as mentioned above.  And each lower output tap puts out a higher output current but less output voltage than the higher impedance taps.  So when you bridge vacuum tube amps, you do not double the output voltage and thus quadruple the bridged single power rating, you only double the power rating.  V remains the same, but R is cut in half and V squared over R only yields X2 power instead of X4.

Got it?

However, X2 power and X2 current into that load is still provides a very healthy bridged amp into difficult loads.

Regards,

Frank (just back from being snowed in, very happily, in the Wisconsin North Woods for three days watching the deer play in the yard).

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #45 on: 26 Dec 2009, 06:17 pm »
V remains the same, but R is cut in half and V squared over R only yields X2 power instead of X4.

Got it?

Yep; perfectly.  :thumb:

Thanks, Frank. I appreciate it.

Jerry

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #46 on: 29 Dec 2009, 02:47 am »
Can the U70 be upgraded to the UV specs?  Sonically speaking.

I talked to Frank and he confirmed that the U70 can not be upgraded to the Ultra Valve for the reasons stated in my previous response.

Regards,
Dean

rcag_ils

« Reply #47 on: 29 Dec 2009, 04:15 am »
I talked to Frank and he confirmed that the U70 can not be upgraded to the Ultra Valve for the reasons stated in my previous response.

But can you tell us why other than the Ultravalve has a closed chassis, and the board is upside down? So far no one has really answered this question. I want circuit description, and theory of operaton between the two.

avahifi

« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:29 pm »
I would rather not talk about theory of operation in detail at this time.  Like to get a substantial number sold out there before our ideas star getting copied again.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #49 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:39 pm »
Got it, and I fully respect that, Frank.

avahifi

Our New Ultravalve Tube Amp is ready to ship now!
« Reply #50 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:46 pm »
Finally, our new Ultravalve faceplates showed up here so we are ready to build and ship this new pure vacuum tube amplifier.

Be the first on your block to own one.  $1699 and just amazing musical performance.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

PeterCapo

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jan 2010, 07:32 pm »

Looking forward to the updated website.

Regards,
Peter

avahifi

« Reply #52 on: 6 Jan 2010, 03:28 pm »
By the way, the new Ultravalve chassis is highly polished stainless steel using all truss head stainless philips hardware.

The new faceplate is a matt finished light gold with black text and graphics.

It is really pretty.

Frank Van Alstine

We will try and get photos done of it, and the Vision DAC and AvaStar preamp as soon as possible.

Wayner

« Reply #53 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:32 pm »
My new Ultravalve is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayner  :drool:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #54 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm »
Very Nice Wayner, Smooth, fit and clean looking. I really like the faceplate.

Harrison

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #55 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:39 pm »
Light that firecracker up Wayner, then snap a picture please.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #56 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm »
Congrats Wayner.

Nicely done Frank.

George

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #57 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm »
Beautiful work, Frank, Wayner, et al.

rajacat