Bryston Turntable

abuhannibal

Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #280 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:36 am »
Ortofon Quintet Black thru a 1:20 step up transformer. I know I can go with a lower ratio but 1:20 gives me the absolutely perfect amount of gain to match my other sources, and also I already have the transformers. :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #281 on: 13 Jan 2017, 01:47 pm »
Ortofon Quintet Black thru a 1:20 step up transformer. I know I can go with a lower ratio but 1:20 gives me the absolutely perfect amount of gain to match my other sources, and also I already have the transformers. :)

Ah - OK - that works - is the step-up transformer an Ortofon as well?

james

abuhannibal

« Reply #282 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:59 pm »
James,

I had bought a pair of Sony HA-T10's (same as the Ortofon T-5, I believe Sony made them for Ortofon.) had bought them just as an experiment and b/c they were so inexpensive at $78. Was very non-disappointed by the sound. At this moment I have on order a Lencomotion Step-up which uses Lundahl LL-9226's, same ratio (1:20.)  Not sure if I should have gone higher-end, but these are the same series of transformers that ortofon uses in their Verto step-up, so I am reasonably confident that they should be decent. Anyway my DAC is the PS Audio DirectStream, which even via the balanced outputs is perhaps just a tad low in the gain department. In any case I found that while initially I had totally guessed that a 1:20 ration would be about right, I hit the bullseye in terms of matching the level to that of the DAC, so figured I'd stick with that ratio. The BP-2 has about the same gain as the mm section of my current phono pre, so that should work out just about right.  I will gladly report on whether I think the Lundahls's are a step up (sorry :)) over the little Sonys. Will be about 2 weeks though before the Lencomotion arrives.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #283 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just got a copy of the Jan/Feb copy of the French Magazine TED.

Got the front cover of the Magazine showing the BLP-1 Turntable and a very extensive 5 page review.

james

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #284 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Look close - notice what Turntable that is?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #285 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here is the full review on the Bryston BLP-1 Turntable in French - English translation due in a week.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2017_01_Review_TED_BLP_1.pdf

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #287 on: 20 Jan 2017, 03:38 am »
New LP's

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/third-man-starts-presses-detroit-february-25th#jiK2DSkbiXrT7l7A.97

that's pretty cool, in the cass corridor even with a lot of muggers, homeless, winos, junkies etc.

i know this because i lived in detroit for most of  my life, anyway, i commend jack white for making this factory a reality....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #288 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:19 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Turntable – Customer Feedback

February 2017

Hi James,

The sound of the Bryston table is great! 

I had the dealer here in Calgary (James at Absolute Audio) install a Dynavector XX2 MKII MC cartridge for me, it seems a very good match, I talked with you prior to buying the table, but I’m not sure if I mentioned (at that time) I just got back into vinyl after a break of over 30 years.

My records hadn’t seen the light of day since 1986!  My last turntable back then was an Oracle Delphi with SME Series III S arm and Dynavector Karat Diamond cartridge, so my standards were high.  I just could’t see myself spending the $17,000 (plus) it would cost to replace it today.

I had originally bought a Rega RP6 late last year, but was not impressed with the very troublesome (and not very successful) task of isolating it from high levels of noise.  I also spent $750 dollars on after-market parts trying to improve the sound quality, and still wasn’t even close to being satisfied.  I gave up trying and listening after a very short time.  The majority of my 700 albums (all but the first half dozen) stayed in the moving boxes they had been in for the last 30 years.

I came across a couple of great reviews on the Bryston BLP-1 in my search for another option.  My call to you confirmed Bryston is the same company I remember (excellence in products, support and service) and in very good hands for the future, so I decided to give the BLP-1 a try.

Once I got the BLP-1 home, I started my vinyl journey again.  The first album I listened to was one my parents (now deceased) gave me back in 1976.  It’s the Eric Clapton album “No Reason to Cry”.  An always favourite track of mine on the album was “Hello Old Friend”, a song that holds much more meaning to me now, 30 years later.  As I sat and listened, the magic was there and a smile grew across my face - now that’s how I remember things sounding!  It was a perfect track to start with - getting reacquainted with my old albums and a familiar old brand felt like saying “Hello” to some "Old Friends”.  I was transported back in time - great music and sound has always been like a time machine for me.  I have since gone through several discs including some of my treasured 30 year old direct-to-disc LP’s.  I’m now more excited about my 43 year hobby than I have been in many, many years.

I’m very pleased with the BLP-1, it has exceeded my expectations - a terrific product engineered and designed with the money spent in the right places to achieve exceptional value and performance - like all Bryston products in my experience.  Back when I had the Delphi, I also had a Bryston preamp (I can’t recall the model) and a Bryston 4B power amplifier.

There was no fussing with positioning to reduce noise, I just had to hook it up, level it, turn it on and enjoy.  The noise levels are far lower at 70 dB's of phono pre-amp gain than the Rega was at 40 dB’s. 

The turntable looks great and the power supply is of superb design, performance and appearance.  James at Absolute Audio did a great job on setup (he may even be pickier than me).  I also bought the BHA-1 headphone amp at the same time and love it.  It's refined with delicacy, finese and punch (when required) and easliy matches, or outperforms another headphone amp I own at over double the price.

Now I need to save my pennies for a new 4B Cubed and BP26 preamp.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Gil Chapman

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #289 on: 10 Feb 2017, 11:27 pm »
Hi Folks

Another great Bryston turntable review from TED Magazine.

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2017, 02:32 am by James Tanner »

G E

« Reply #290 on: 11 Feb 2017, 02:24 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Turntable – Customer Feedback

February 2017

Hi James,

The sound of the Bryston table is great! 

I had the dealer here in Calgary (James at Absolute Audio) install a Dynavector XX2 MKII MC cartridge for me, it seems a very good match, I talked with you prior to buying the table, but I’m not sure if I mentioned (at that time) I just got back into vinyl after a break of over 30 years.

My records hadn’t seen the light of day since 1986!  My last turntable back then was an Oracle Delphi with SME Series III S arm and Dynavector Karat Diamond cartridge, so my standards were high.  I just could’t see myself spending the $17,000 (plus) it would cost to replace it today.

I had originally bought a Rega RP6 late last year, but was not impressed with the very troublesome (and not very successful) task of isolating it from high levels of noise.  I also spent $750 dollars on after-market parts trying to improve the sound quality, and still wasn’t even close to being satisfied.  I gave up trying and listening after a very short time.  The majority of my 700 albums (all but the first half dozen) stayed in the moving boxes they had been in for the last 30 years.

I came across a couple of great reviews on the Bryston BLP-1 in my search for another option.  My call to you confirmed Bryston is the same company I remember (excellence in products, support and service) and in very good hands for the future, so I decided to give the BLP-1 a try.

Once I got the BLP-1 home, I started my vinyl journey again.  The first album I listened to was one my parents (now deceased) gave me back in 1976.  It’s the Eric Clapton album “No Reason to Cry”.  An always favourite track of mine on the album was “Hello Old Friend”, a song that holds much more meaning to me now, 30 years later.  As I sat and listened, the magic was there and a smile grew across my face - now that’s how I remember things sounding!  It was a perfect track to start with - getting reacquainted with my old albums and a familiar old brand felt like saying “Hello” to some "Old Friends”.  I was transported back in time - great music and sound has always been like a time machine for me.  I have since gone through several discs including some of my treasured 30 year old direct-to-disc LP’s.  I’m now more excited about my 43 year hobby than I have been in many, many years.

I’m very pleased with the BLP-1, it has exceeded my expectations - a terrific product engineered and designed with the money spent in the right places to achieve exceptional value and performance - like all Bryston products in my experience.  Back when I had the Delphi, I also had a Bryston preamp (I can’t recall the model) and a Bryston 4B power amplifier.

There was no fussing with positioning to reduce noise, I just had to hook it up, level it, turn it on and enjoy.  The noise levels are far lower at 70 dB's of phono pre-amp gain than the Rega was at 40 dB’s. 

The turntable looks great and the power supply is of superb design, performance and appearance.  James at Absolute Audio did a great job on setup (he may even be pickier than me).  I also bought the BHA-1 headphone amp at the same time and love it.  It's refined with delicacy, finese and punch (when required) and easliy matches, or outperforms another headphone amp I own at over double the price.

Now I need to save my pennies for a new 4B Cubed and BP26 preamp.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Gil Chapman

Gil,

Your comments on rediscovering your "old friend" gave me pause. I posted a similar thought on the Steve Hoffman forums a few years back. Here is the link

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/reconnected-with-an-old-friend-last-night.355279/

There is real magic in those vinyl grooves. Music and life events intertwine like the DNA double helix.

I was seduced by hi Rez surround formats 15 years ago (!) but the productions don't satisfy like my original vinyl. Happily I had kept most of my vinyl library.

Bryston did not have a turntable when I was in the market and I got a well tempered Amadeus. Carr has been upgraded to Grado reference master.  Bryston 28 bsst2 Amps, bel canto pre6 and Hagerman Cornet2 phono with vintage RCA tubes running now. Also have Amperex vintage tubes that are sooooo seductive.  Speakers are Brian Cheney (rip) VMPS RM30 series 2

If you can stretch a bit, go for the 28s. The used bsst2 pair might be in reach. And that owner can get the b3 version and everyone wins.

The 28s give it all:  incredible delicacy and grace to the wildest thrill ride in the park. Really.

James Tanner

• Facilitator

gene9p

« Reply #292 on: 15 Feb 2017, 01:44 am »
an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge for the review....??

If the reviewer thinks that's a great cartridge.... :oops:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #293 on: 15 Feb 2017, 02:40 am »
an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge for the review....??

If the reviewer thinks that's a great cartridge.... :oops:

Yes it says a lot - average cartridge with great table = great sound aye!  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #294 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:24 pm »
Hi Folks,

Speaking of Cartridges do you think it would be a good idea to offer a cartridge or 2 at a special price if purchased with the turntable.

I have an opportunity to purchase some BENZ MC Glider cartridges and a High Output MC Dynavector at really great prices so it would save the customer a fair bit of money if purchased as a package?

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #295 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:02 am »
Hi Folks,

Speaking of Cartridges do you think it would be a good idea to offer a cartridge or 2 at a special price if purchased with the turntable.

I have an opportunity to purchase some BENZ MC Glider cartridges and a High Output MC Dynavector at really great prices so it would save the customer a fair bit of money if purchased as a package?

james

I think it's a good idea as an option, not as a mandatory part of the "package". Most vinylers like to choose their own cart. Also, you should actually hear these carts first (if you haven't yet); it's your reputation on the line there!

How much is the discount on these carts at the buyer's end?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #296 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:09 am »
I think it's a good idea as an option, not as a mandatory part of the "package". Most vinylers like to choose their own cart. Also, you should actually hear these carts first (if you haven't yet); it's your reputation on the line there!

How much is the discount on these carts at the buyer's end?

I would say about 1/2 retail

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #297 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:25 am »
I would say about 1/2 retail

james

Dang, can you sell me one cart?  :green: :thumb:

jk

gtaphile

« Reply #298 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:39 pm »
Hi Folks,

james

Would Bryston be planning to support the cartridges? If the answer is yes than is it worth the time and effort?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #299 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:47 pm »
Would Bryston be planning to support the cartridges? If the answer is yes than is it worth the time and effort?

Hi

Yes we would through the cartridge manufacturer or distributor.

james