Bryston Turntable

audioguy213

Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #180 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:05 am »
how long is the PSU/speed control pig tail, and can I get a longer one upon request? I noticed it was fixed, and I dont have space next to my TT,

gene9p

« Reply #181 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:08 am »
"Depending on the cartridge and the phono ICs, the BLP-1 offered 10% to 15% more sound across the frequency spectrum than the Giglio."

not very impressive review to me. No clue how someone could measure that or describe that in terms of what they heard. Weird.I would expect the table as well as a lot of others would shine with a 6K cartridge and a 2K IC.. JMO but it was more like an add and not a review. Did I miss the amp,preamp,phono pre and speakers used?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #182 on: 28 Sep 2016, 08:32 am »
"Depending on the cartridge and the phono ICs, the BLP-1 offered 10% to 15% more sound across the frequency spectrum than the Giglio."

not very impressive review to me. No clue how someone could measure that or describe that in terms of what they heard. Weird.I would expect the table as well as a lot of others would shine with a 6K cartridge and a 2K IC.. JMO but it was more like an add and not a review. Did I miss the amp,preamp,phono pre and speakers used?

Hi

Not sure what the phono stage was but this reviewer is in to analog big time and I believe he uses some very exotic gear - I can ask him if you want.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #183 on: 28 Sep 2016, 08:33 am »
how long is the PSU/speed control pig tail, and can I get a longer one upon request? I noticed it was fixed, and I dont have space next to my TT,

Hi

It is about a meter long.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #184 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:04 am »

James 

The turntable does sound very, very good with a sense of rhythm and articulation that is quite exceptional.

We have it set up with the Denon DL103R and running through a Lehmann Black Cube SE II into a Bryston B135.

Thank you and have a great day,

Robert Hoinkes
Sales Manager
Trutone Electronics

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #185 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:09 am »

Hi James,

Our turntables arrived today, thank you. 

The fit, finish and aesthetics are excellent.  Setup was a breeze. 

It was a busy day at the shop but we were able to squeeze in some BLP-1 listening and had loads of fun with a few Stevie Ray Vaughan and Ricki Lee Jones tracks.  This Italo-Canadian beauty can do the dynamics and slam of higher energy music as well as the imaging and midrange finesse of lighter fare.  The power supply exudes high end also...pitch and speed stability are spot on. 

We've got another Bryston winner on our hands...we're delighted with the BLP-1.   

Sincerely,
Robert
Audio Eden Ltd.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:36 am »

Hi James,

I emailed the following 'Ancillary Equipment List' to the magazine to be included at the end of the BLP-1 TT review but for space reasons sometimes they do not include it. This is only a partial list of the gear 

The TT rig I primarily used to as a point of comparison for SQ to the BLP-1 was an Avid Acutus Reference + SME arm + Sumiko Pearwood Celebration Mk#2 M/C cart.

Bryston BLP-1 TT + BTP-1 P/S Review

Ancillary Equipment List:

Vinyl Rigs: Bryston BLP-1, BPT-1, GRW B7 tonearm, & Benz-Micro M0.8 M/C cart; Gold Note Giglio, B7 tonearm, Dynavector 10x5 HOMC cart.

Phono Stages: Modified Sonic Frontiers Phono-1 SE; Manley Labs Steelhead; Gold Note PH-7.

Phono ICs: Stealth Hyperphono SE; Audio Sensibility Statement & Signature.

Cartridges: Van den Hul ‘The Frog’ M/C; Lyra Kleos M/C; Rega Apheta 2 M/C; Sumiko Pearwood Celebration Mk#2 M/C; Koetsu Urushi Vermillion M/C.

Pre / Power: Sonic Frontiers Line-3 SE pre-amp + 2 x SFI Power-1 tube power amps.

Cables: Virtual Dynamics; Gutwire; Stealth; & Argento Audio ICs & PCs.

Speakers: Newform Research 645 v3; Bryston A2; Sonus Faber Elipsa SE.

Douglas

gene9p

« Reply #187 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:02 pm »
some really nice gear listed. So what was the exact set up, ie which speakers, cartridge did you use as some of your gear really varies significantly especially the speakers as they range from a couple of K to 23K?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #188 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:17 pm »
some really nice gear listed. So what was the exact set up, ie which speakers, cartridge did you use as some of your gear really varies significantly especially the speakers as they range from a couple of K to 23K?

From speaking with him Gene he tells me he tries to use a system that suits the price point of the component under review. The nice thing he commented to me on regarding our table is that he was able to use it on his most exotic system and it was in the game.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #189 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:23 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Turntable – Dealer Feedback

September 28, 2016

Hi James, Brian and the entire Bryston Team

“SEXY, SIMPLE AND SATISFIING”

Our Turntable arrived Yesterday WOO HOO!!! SUPERB, the fit and finish is GREAT, simple setup right out of the box.

And the sound WOW Killer Performance it has the Zing of a great performer fabulous WORK AGAIN and a job well done but I guess that’s not saying much since you have always delivered killer products…...

Yours totally satisfied
Ashley Plettell

gene9p

« Reply #190 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:47 pm »
From speaking with him Gene he tells me he tries to use a system that suits the price point of the component under review. The nice thing he commented to me on regarding our table is that he was able to use it on his most exotic system and it was in the game.

james

NICE!.......hope the TT does well ...lots of competition out there . Will you be bringing it to the Audio Show in NYC in October???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #191 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:16 pm »
NICE!.......hope the TT does well ...lots of competition out there . Will you be bringing it to the Audio Show in NYC in October???

Hi Gene

No we will not be in NY.  We are doing RMAF in Denver and Toronto Show in October.

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #192 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:58 pm »
I just read a review of the Bryston BLP-1 turntable in CANADA HIFI Magazine and in the conclusion, they mention:

"Caveats…? The BLP-1’s stock phono cable and cylindrical feet need to be improved."

Will Bryston be offering upgrade kits for these or will a user need to go to 3rd party solutions?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #193 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:11 pm »
I just read a review of the Bryston BLP-1 turntable in CANADA HIFI Magazine and in the conclusion, they mention:

"Caveats…? The BLP-1’s stock phono cable and cylindrical feet need to be improved."

Will Bryston be offering upgrade kits for these or will a user need to go to 3rd party solutions?

Hi

I think so but I want to test and measure these accessories first before I commit.

james

gene9p

« Reply #194 on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:01 pm »
Hi Gene

No we will not be in NY.  We are doing RMAF in Denver and Toronto Show in October.

james

:(

saveloy

« Reply #195 on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:52 pm »
James,

Is there a technical reason, or otherwise, you chose the Valore above other Gold Note chassis'?

I've been wanting to add a TT to my system for a while.  Considered TTs - Clearaudio & VPI decks.  Here in the UK the obligatory 'giant killer' decks are the Michell Orbe & possibly the Rega RP8.  These decks could be the path to vinyl utopia.  But, although I've heard them I've never heard them WOW me.
A TT in my system would be a luxury.  I don't need it to serve the purpose of a normal high end source - I have a Bryston digital set up for that.
I want to indulge in what vinyl can bring to my system.  I will happily trade detail, accuracy, dynamics & frequency extremes for warmth, lushness & the feel one can only achieve with a wonderful TT. 

James, you have my attention.  Thank you.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm »
James,

Is there a technical reason, or otherwise, you chose the Valore above other Gold Note chassis'?

I've been wanting to add a TT to my system for a while.  Considered TTs - Clearaudio & VPI decks.  Here in the UK the obligatory 'giant killer' decks are the Michell Orbe & possibly the Rega RP8.  These decks could be the path to vinyl utopia.  But, although I've heard them I've never heard them WOW me.
A TT in my system would be a luxury.  I don't need it to serve the purpose of a normal high end source - I have a Bryston digital set up for that.
I want to indulge in what vinyl can bring to my system.  I will happily trade detail, dynamics & frequency extremes for warmth, lushness & the feel one can only achieve with a wonderful TT. 

James, you have my attention.  Thank you.

Kyri

Hi Kyri

It is not the same chassis as the Velour - it looks similar but it has special cutouts to reduce resonance and a few other minor differences. I can asked the engineering guys for more details if you want.   

I got seduced by LP's when we were developing the new Phono stages and listened to a number of tables both esoteric and mainstream to get an overview of the different levels of performance out there.  I already own a Thorens, a Roksan and a Rega and a DD Stanton but by chance I heard the Gigleo from Goldnote at a friends and really liked what I was hearing.  So I decided to contact Goldnote and ask them to work with me to produce a table with all the best parts from their upmarket tables but put the emphasis on performance first and foremost. 

In other words based on their many years of experience what features in a turntable contribute the most to a great sounding unit.  So what we ended up with is a table that performs well above the Valore but the money spent would concentrate on the power supply the motor the main being the arm and last the plinth.

Gee's I am rambling - anyway - I think the table does sound lush but open with great detail and a terrific soundstage.  Early reports from the dealers seem to support this with a variety of cartridges so I feel confident in recommending that you have a listen.

What might be fun is to start a thread where we can discuss the differences that people hear between good analog and good digital playback?

james

saveloy

« Reply #197 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:49 pm »
Thank you so much for that, James.  And you don't ever need to apologise for rambling to me.  A few more TT details would be awesome, but please don't feel obliged.

The thread sounds like a fantastic idea.  I began on vinyl, and resisted digital for a very long time.  Simply because it wasn't comparable sonically.  In fact, I converted to digital in my car first, after grudgingly giving up tapes.
My home set up was always built around what I felt was accuracy.  Today, things are different.  I very happily use my BDP/BDA combination for that. 
So, a TT would add a dimension I have been privy to, but no longer feel the necessity to attach all of my hifi technical demands on.  I want to escape into vinyl when the mood demands. And for it to take me to that wonderful place I recall from my youth. 
I hope that makes some sort of sense to you. 

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm »
I love the phrase " escape into vinyl when the mood demands"  :thumb:

James

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress