Identifying the OPamps in my EE Minimax Supreme

mrvco

Re: Identifying the OPamps in my EE Minimax Supreme
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2016, 06:33 pm »
I forgot to finish my post...

In my system, the V3 Burson's have a slightly softer treble that also sounds more realistic.  The DEXA's had a slightly more extended treble, but can present a little digital sound that takes away from the realism a bit.  When  not comparing them and just listening, it's not so apparent. 

I find the midrange to be far more similar than different.  The V3 Burson's have slightly more output in the upper bass/lower midrange area that gives them a richer tone, but the DEXA's present slightly more clarity and transparency in this range.  Again, it's very close.

The V3 Burson's present a hardier bass than the DEXA's, but the DEXA's present as more defined. 

Thanks for finishing!  That's very helpful information.  My Sparkos op amps are setting in a bit, but I think their "character" may not be complementary to my current system.  I get the impression that they might have been a better match to my previous speakers, which were much more mid-rich and thin on the top-end than the Omega / Sub combo that I'm using now.

I had the Sparkos at one time, but they ddidn'twork out at all.  Very thin sound and lacked bass punch.   

Overall, these DAC's really perform incredibly with either discrete OP amps.  It would depend on the sound of your system as to which of these would sound best.  I've tested many DAC's in my system, and none of them even come close to making me want to replace my EE Plus.

Thanks for finishing, that's very helpful.  My Sparkos are settling in a bit, but I think their character may not complement my setup.  I'm thinking they would have been a better pairing with my previous speakers, which were much more mid-rich and thinner on the top-end than my current Omega + sub setup.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:17 pm »
I really loved what the Burson's Gen5 sounded like in my system, I thought they were heads above the Gen3 but reliability is a huge factor for me. I thought it could possibly be a tube in my system,
 so I swapped one tube at a time to the other side( btw, a big pain in the arse to do ) but to no avail still in the same channel was noise, then switched amps just to make sure something wasn't wrong with the amp. Still
 the same scenario, then changed tube in the Dac, still the same, then switched op-amps from one side to the other, BINGO, the noise traveled with that swap.

So I figured I'd just order another pair and did, they finally arrived and threw them in, within a couple of days one went bad again and the other started sputtering after a few minutes use.

I've yet to send them back as my other job just keeps me so busy but maybe tomorrow if I get a chance I will return them, so three out of four went bad, these were the Dual op-amps.
 I let a young( studying to be a lawyer ) friend of mine try the singles in his Junior DAC as they sounded great in there but he has been hitting the books for the Bar exam  and hasn't had a chance to listen, hopefully next time I hear from him he will say " all is fine".

mrvco

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:50 am »
Any word from Burson?

mrvco

« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2016, 02:34 am »
I went ahead and ordered a set of the Burson v5's.  I figure if there is a problem I always have two other sets of op amps at the ready.  I haven't had a chance to run them through their paces yet, but my initial impression is definitely more in the middle and less on top.

mrvco

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:27 pm »
Burson v5's still going strong.

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2016, 03:30 am »
Hi TJHUB,

I never responded to your previous post regarding your impression of the Burson Opamps.  Thanks for providing your insight regarding the differences in sound quality between the DEXA and Burson op amps.

Cheers Rod

grodri02

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2016, 08:55 pm »
Hello,
I have the Minimax Plus and looking to get the DEXA opamps...Do you know if the special edition is compatible with my DAC?
Also, all I need is two single and two Dual correct? I don't need any special connectors correct?

These are the part numbers:
DEXA-79503 - Single
DEXA-79504 -  Dual

Thanks