New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!

raddar

Re: New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« Reply #140 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:06 am »
Can someone please tell me how many decibels the volume increases with each 'click' of the remote volume button? 

Thank you
Nick,

There are no "clicks" on the remote. If you touch the volume "+" for 0.5 seconds, it will increase less than if you hold the button down longer. The remote volume buttons are continuous as long as your finger is on the button, it will increase or decrease the volume.

modwright

« Reply #141 on: 29 Jan 2012, 09:52 pm »
It is not a stepped attenuator and I have honestly not measured the normal dB increase for a single button-push, i.e. one pulse to the input receiver.

Thanks,

Dan

Jflemelin

« Reply #142 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:15 am »
Hi Dan,

In your last post about 1st shipment date for the DAC upgrade january 2012 was stated as tentative date. Are they shipping yet?

Also, on which chip is the DAc based on? And finally, ideally a DAC would have it's own power supply (I think...), do you expect the DAC to change the sonics of the LS100 in any way?

Thanks for your involvement with your customers! It's much appreciated!

Jean-Francois

modwright

« Reply #143 on: 1 Feb 2012, 09:56 pm »
Hi, I did say that it would be shipping in the LS 100 in January, and while we were able to prepare a prototype for CES, I still have a bit more testing to do before I can release it.

The DAC DOES actually get its own power supply, completely separate from the LS.  I had hoped to be able to use the 12V supply in the LS. But that was not a good solution.  So, we install a PS with its own transformer and filtering and then a final regulation stage right at the DAC/Input receiver.

I will post here with more progress as we go.  It really won't be long now!

We also showed the KWI 200 SS integrated at CES with both phono AND DAC options installed ($6500 - with all options) and it was very received.

Thanks,

Dan

danvu

« Reply #144 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:17 am »
Hi there,
Any news on the DAC for LS 100? Specs, price, pictures? I have heard about this but haven't seen it/read reviews on it yet.
Thanks,
Dan

modwright

« Reply #145 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:03 pm »
Hi, it is 99% complete and I HAVE worked out the issues that I had with USB input.  I have a few standing orders to complete first and then it will be in full production.

The upgrade cost is $1150 retail.

It has RCA (SPDIF) and USB (24/192 fully asynchronous) inputs and features a digital input receiver that both buffers data and reclocks all incoming signals.  The DAC is the PCM 1794.  The entire digital circuit is powered via a separate and dedicated power supply.

It uses the tube stage in the player as the analog stage.

Thanks,

Dan

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #146 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:19 pm »
Dan-

Am I right in still assuming that the DAC input is NOT am option for those of us using the optional phono stage? I mean, there is no way of easily converting one of the other inputs to accept the new DAC?

I'm not willing to give up my phono stage, but it would be nice to try the DAC too.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #147 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:32 pm »
Hi, it is 99% complete and I HAVE worked out the issues that I had with USB input.  I have a few standing orders to complete first and then it will be in full production.

The upgrade cost is $1150 retail.

It has RCA (SPDIF) and USB (24/192 fully asynchronous) inputs and features a digital input receiver that both buffers data and reclocks all incoming signals.  The DAC is the PCM 1794.  The entire digital circuit is powered via a separate and dedicated power supply.

It uses the tube stage in the player as the analog stage.

Thanks,

Dan

Slightly confused - Player?

wilsynet

« Reply #148 on: 30 Mar 2012, 06:05 pm »
Replace "player" with "preamp".

Alleye

« Reply #149 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:07 am »
Slightly mixed emotions to read the "news" post at 6moons...

http://www.6moons.com/news/news.html

Thrilled to see that the DAC upgrade is ready to roll, but then I was a little bummed to read that the board upgrade can't be done by the end user.

I guess I missed that tid bit in all the other discussions...

Either way, it looks like my LS100 will be taking a trip in the near future.

If anyone has heard the upgrade please pass along the feedback!

modwright

« Reply #150 on: 15 Apr 2012, 08:36 pm »
Sorry, but DAC design is modular and as it turned out, while the phono is a single board, using existing power supplies, the DAC includes a separate dedicated supply, USB input board and combination DAC, input receiver and voltage regulator board, that are all assembled and wired into the unit at the factory.

The end result IS WORTH THE WAIT!  It has taken far longer than expected to complete, but I am VERY pleased with the results!

Thanks!

Dan

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #151 on: 4 May 2012, 04:12 pm »
Dan- I think you missed my question above. I think I know the answer, but I really wanted to check to be sure:

"Dan-

Am I right in still assuming that the DAC input is NOT am option for those of us using the optional phono stage? I mean, there is no way of easily converting one of the other inputs to accept the new DAC?

I'm not willing to give up my phono stage, but it would be nice to try the DAC too."

modwright

« Reply #152 on: 5 May 2012, 02:29 am »
The LS 100 will only allow for optional DAC OR Phono upgrade.

The KWI 200 Integrated, our SS 200W integrated DOES allow for both DAC and phono and is on of our top sellers right now!

Thanks,

Dan

wilsynet

« Reply #153 on: 15 May 2012, 07:51 pm »
Any update as to when the DAC upgrade option for the LS-100 will be available?

modwright

« Reply #154 on: 16 May 2012, 02:11 am »
It is available now!

Thanks!

Dan

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #155 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:09 pm »
I have to say that after using the LS-100 with the new DAC module at the Newport show..........
 it is stupid good!!! :thumb:

a world class tube pre and DAC for a fraction of what you would expect to pay!

great work Dan!

mav52

« Reply #156 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:52 pm »
are there any details about the DAC module ?
 never mind found the info :duh:

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #157 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:40 pm »
The LS 100 will only allow for optional DAC OR Phono upgrade.

The KWI 200 Integrated, our SS 200W integrated DOES allow for both DAC and phono and is on of our top sellers right now!

Thanks,

Dan

Is the LS100 DAC the same as the KWI-200 DAC?

modwright

« Reply #158 on: 17 Nov 2013, 07:31 pm »
Sorry for the late reply here.....

The DAC module itself is the same in both units, but in the LS 100, it is Lundahl transformer coupled to the tube circuitry in the preamp.  This is why it is more expensive.  As such, it is then a tube DAC.

In the KWI 200, the gain stage is the preamp stage of the KWI 200, which is SS.

Thanks,

Dan

JMosch

« Reply #159 on: 21 Jan 2014, 08:34 pm »
Hello All,

I know this topic does not get that many posts, but I was hoping to get some idea of what folks with the LS-100 w/phono are doing with their mono LPs. This is the one area where I feel that Dan may have dropped the ball a little, ie. a lack of a mono switch.

Playing mono LPs (stereo cart) with L+R summed has some significant advantages with the most obvious being a reduction in noise due to out-of-phase components picked up by the L and R signals that get summed. Way back (around 10 years ago) I used to use double Y-connector cables to sum L+R and then split the signal to the L and R phono inputs. Then I got a phono pre with a mono switch (ARC PH5). Not sure if the Y-connector method is the best way to go and I was wondering if Dan has thought about this or dealt with this issue with other customers.

BTW, the LS-100 phono section runs rings around the PH5. I'm using a Tele 12AT7 with a RCA 12AU7 and the depth is stunning, its also very quiet. The whole thing has put me in a state of shock for the price. Its a very impressive package all the way through.