New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!

K Shep

Re: New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« Reply #100 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:19 pm »
I had a group of AC folks over on Saturday for a little DAC comparison.  Most of these guys were familiar with my previous system and they were very impressed with the sound quality that the LS100 provided.

For me, compared to my previous preamp, the LS100 provides improvements in sound staging, especially instrument placement.  I also like the smooth vocals and overall clarity of the presentation.

If you are looking for a new preamp I would at least hop on the demo tour and listen to the LS100. 

Kudos to the Modwright team!

I'm one of the AC folks that visited Bob's.  I love the LS100 and the difference in sound it has made to his system are positive! 

Team ModWright, please give attention to Bob and the issues he has with the HT bypass and phono stage features of his preamp.   

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #101 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:42 pm »
Celticfan1,
No need to leave the KWA on 24/7.  I find that a few hours is PLENTY for any true settling in, and really no more than about an hour.  I only run mine (black anodized monoblocks) 24/7 when breaking equipment in.  The room heat is a nice plus at this time of year.  :)

modwright

« Reply #102 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:24 am »
I have already sent Bob a replacement phono stage as he LITERALLY had the very first and there was some improvements made.  I have also offered to have him send his entire preamp back - very early production as I learned of a potential grounding issue and also an oversight on the VERY first PCBs that effect the HT/BP operation.  He has agreed to send it to me.

Aside from these bugs that I found in the first couple of units, they are flying off the shelf and everyone is VERY pleased with the design!

I always take care of our customers and Bob is no exception.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #103 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:33 am »

I always take care of our customers and Bob is no exception.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

+1

vintagebob

« Reply #104 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:56 am »
Thanks K Shep.  Dan has been taking care of me.   :green:

bobup1998

« Reply #105 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:41 am »
Has anyone out there tried the Shuguang CV181 Black Treasure tubes in the 6SN7 slots of the LS100?  And are they in fact safe to use in the LS100?
I most certainly do not wish to take any chances with my new unit, so any expert advice would be greatly appreciated!
Any other tube-rolling experiences for good or ill would be appreciated as well...

jriggy

« Reply #106 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
^ I think they are OK, as I seem to recal someone here trying them out in the LS 100 but cant find the post. I may be mistaken.

You should contacted Dan directly to check... Then let us know!  8)

bobup1998

« Reply #107 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:17 pm »
Dan emailed me to let me know the Shuguang Treasure tubes are OK for the LS100:  "Our design does NOT ask much of the tube - i.e. NOT high plate voltages or current, so ANY 6SN7 or equivalent will work and you will NOT damage the preamp or tubes."
If anyone tries them please let us know what you think!

mraudio

« Reply #108 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:13 pm »
I also spoke with Dan and he did indeed say the Black Treasures would work.  He also recommended the Sophie Electric 6SN7 tubes.  I have ordered BOTH sets and will post my impressions once I get them and get a few hours on them.

modwright

« Reply #109 on: 3 Feb 2011, 09:47 pm »
Plesae do share your experiences.  I have been meaning to order a pair of the Sohpia 6SN7 'A' grade, but have simply not had a chance to yet.  I will share my impressions once I do.

Thanks,

Dan

bobup1998

« Reply #110 on: 6 Feb 2011, 12:33 pm »
Hi All,

I have received a pair of Shuguang Black Treasures and put them in the LS100.  Below is the email I just sent to both Dan and Grant Fidelity...

I received the Shuguang CV181-Z (6SN7) Treasures and a NOS 5AR4 and burned them in for a few hours yesterday.  Even though the LS100 and the tubes have only a few hours on them, I was quite unprepared for the sounds I heard during my first listening session.  For the first time in my audio life my speakers literally disappeared, and the imaging filling my room was almost palpable...very 3-D indeed, to the point of being almost scary-real.  I sat in wonderment; left wanting for nothing with the music being produced with such crystal clarity and startling precision from top to bottom.  I can only anticipate what further improvements may happen as both the preamp and tubes continue to settle in together.
To be brief, my searching for the next best preamp is over, as is my searching for the next best tubes to put in that preamp.  This combination has taken my humble audio system from good to "wow"!
Thank you Dan for designing such a wonderful preamp at such a fair price, and thanks also to Shuguang for producing a pair of tubes that have taken that preamp way over the top in audio quality.  Job well done!

Wayne R

dminches

« Reply #111 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:39 pm »
Wayne, what tubes were you using before?

bobup1998

« Reply #112 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:21 pm »
I had been using the factory supplied TungSol 6SN7's (new production, not NOS) with the Sovtech 5AR4.  I also briefly tried vintage TungSol round plates...good, but not as clear and extended as the Treasures in my system.  I have not heard the Sohpia 6SN7s, but as I mentioned to Dan they would have to be extraordinary to replace the Shuguangs Treasures in my system.  For me it's the old "you'll know it when you hear it" phrase that perhaps applies best, and in my system I do indeed.  Big fun!

padre_power

« Reply #113 on: 17 Feb 2011, 10:00 am »
Hi Everyone from the Land Down Under,

I am new to this forum and am now the happy owner of both the LS100 and KWA100SE

I have fitted Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures,  A+ grade from Grant Fidelity, and also a Mullard GZ34 NOS 5AR4. Also fitted Herbie's Tube Dampers and Herbie's Iso Cups with Lampblack Balls.  Everything has made a worthwhile improvement even in these early stages.
I am really impressed and discovering the most liquid and best vocals I have ever had.
For those of you interested I have an Accuphase DP500 CDPlayer and Avalon Ascendent Loudspeakers.
Cabling is all the latest Grover Huffman. (These are excellent and another steal in audio)

I am looking forward to more impressions on the LS100 and will be keen to hear what others are using for valves etc.

modwright

« Reply #114 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!  We are very happy with the LS 100 and our KWA 100/100SE and 150.

We are now shipping the new 150 'Signature Edition' amps too!

Take care,

Dan

Audioclyde

« Reply #115 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:14 am »
I have not yet tried the Black Treasures (and I'm a big fan of those tubes), but I've rolled quite a few other very nice tubes in my LS 100.  My favorites so far are Brimar, clear glass, black base with orange lettering.  For me these have bested NOS TS round plates, RCA red base 5962's, Sylvania VT-231 bad boys, RCA clear & smoked glass, Pope and KenRad VT-231's.

The Brimars, along with Pope or Sylvania's in the driver position of my 845 amp, seem to be magic.

I'm also using a Mullard fat base gz34 as the rectifier.

Randy

dminches

« Reply #116 on: 21 Feb 2011, 01:25 am »
Are the Brimars CV 1988s?  I have been using TS BGRPs in my Ls-100 along with the same rectifier and I haven't rolled it out yet.

jriggy

« Reply #117 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:10 am »
Grabbed a pair of Black Treasures from a fellow ACer. They were in the LS 100 for a few hours and were unbelievably good! I was most surprised with the incredibly 3D depth they added. Unfortunately I had to remove them due to noise and drop them in my tubed Oppo. Not the best spot for them in my system but their noise is not noticeable in the Oppo for some reason...

Could the LS 100 be more sensitive to microphonics than tubes in source units might be?

Also, are you guys replacing the cover every time while tube rolling? Wondering if it is ok to leave the cover off for a stretch, if checking out a few tubes in an evening? Keeping in mind all safety precautions of course, unplugging it and not touching anything while it is plugged in...

dminches

« Reply #118 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:19 am »
It is fine to leave the cover off assuming no one goes near the unit while it is on.  Dan confirmed this.

Can you describe the noise you were experiencing?

Audioclyde

« Reply #119 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:23 am »
Are the Brimars CV 1988s?  I have been using TS BGRPs in my Ls-100 along with the same rectifier and I haven't rolled it out yet.

No, just labeled 6SN7, with etched codes like "1J5"...I previously had some Brimar CV1988's (when I ran the MW Transporter); from memory I'm liking the sound of these Brimars quite a bit better than the CV1988's--of course they are in a different circuit.

Randy