HiFiMan HE-1000 vs Reference Speakers ?

Crossoverless

• Restricted
HiFiMan HE-1000 vs Reference Speakers ?
« on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:59 am »
Has anyone listened to these headphones yet? :scratch:

One reviewer that listened to them thought they sounded more like Reference Speakers! :o  :scratch:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphones-and-earphones/headphones-and-earphones-reviews/hifiman-he1000-planar-magnetic-headphone-review/all-pages.html
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2015, 09:12 pm by Crossoverless »

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: HiFiMan HE-1000 vs Reference Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
headphones and speakers have totally different feels... :green:

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2015, 09:32 pm »
headphones and speakers have totally different feels... :green:

Some on other forums will disagree with you about the HiFiMan HE-1000's... :scratch:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2015, 10:37 pm »
I believe the review said (repeatedly) "reference class product" not reference class speakers. (Which for $3000 I'd expect.)

Headphones versus speakers (with the same recordings) will always be an apples versus oranges comparison.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2015, 10:47 pm »
I believe the review said (repeatedly) "reference class product" not reference class speakers. (Which for $3000 I'd expect.)

Headphones versus speakers (with the same recordings) will always be an apples versus oranges comparison.

I think you need to look at the review again, that's not what he said...   

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2015, 12:26 am by Crossoverless »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2015, 12:28 am »
OK, I'll stop quibbling, but comparisons between headphones and speakers have limitations.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2015, 11:58 am »
If it have a Super Duper Giant Soundstage it may compete with a speaker, otherwise...

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2015, 05:11 am »
OK, I'll stop quibbling, but comparisons between headphones and speakers have limitations.

I agree...speakers and headphones sound completely different. (Not referencing the article, just making a general statement.)

tubesguy2

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2015, 02:05 pm »
It's so true - if a headphone sounds like a headphone, enjoy it.  But try pushing it toward the sound of speakers and it will just start sounding muddy or whatever - something that's too complex to replicate with current technology.

Current technology includes the Smyth Realiser A8, which can, according to reliable reviewers, replicate the soundstage and other spatial qualities of a reference speaker system, albeit for a price - $3700, including the recommended Stax headphones.

I too fall into the "why bother" camp, headphones are headphones, but the Smyth does open up some interesting possibilities, including setting up a 7.1 surround environment using only one speaker for calibration purposes.

For the most edifying and least "gee whiz" description, check out "Linear Audio - Volume 7"