Calling All DALEs....Audeze Needs Beta Testers!!!

ajzepp

Calling All DALEs....Audeze Needs Beta Testers!!!
« on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:18 pm »
I LOVE that Audeze is branching out and devloping a product like this. Thought maybe some of you out there might have an interest in throwing your name in the hat...(And Dale, I know this is sort of right in your wheelhouse)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772647/beta-testing-the-new-audeze-black-box#post_11717870

JohnR

Re: Calling All DALEs....Audeze Needs Beta Testers!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2015, 11:52 am »
But this would work with any headphones, though, not just Audeze (wouldn't it?)

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:37 pm »
Thanks for posting this - it seems like a nifty project for an electronics or audio hobbyist.  I suppose it makes sense that someone could improve their listening experience with this, but something I know now that I didn't know last year or the year before -- I prefer a natural sound since my hearing is good, so I want to hear on headphones the same sound I hear live (given the usual issues in recording and reproduction).  The thing I need a DSP to do is correct for large headphone peaks and dips that are found first by listening, then measured more-or-less by comparisons to the best headphones I know of.  It would be very interesting to get results on this project from a large enough sampling of testers, to see if any of them stipulate whether they evaluated the naturalness of their results, if they made significant adjustments for their personal hearing.

Dale:  I am pretty sure one's brain already makes "adjustments" to suit one's hearing ability.  My understanding is that hearing is totally dependent on "DSP" done by the brain on what the ear senses.  But, maybe this is similar to what happens with sight vs looking at a photograph: the brain processes sight of the real world accordingly, but it does not do the same processing to a photograph when one looks at it, hence the need for photographers to apply their skills in getting the image to appear "right".  Auditory experts please weigh in.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:19 pm »
But this would work with any headphones, though, not just Audeze (wouldn't it?)

I'm curious about that, as well. Since Audeze includes a pair of LCD-Xs along with the demo, it wasn't clear to me if this was a standalone item that could be used with any other headphone, or if there is some sort of "matching" that is done. Certainly hoping for the former.