Sennheiser HD800 Headphone amp

K.F.

Sennheiser HD800 Headphone amp
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:00 pm »
I am the happy owner of a Sennheiser Hd 800.
I am using a Sound Devices HX3 as an amp.
I am quite happy with the result,but could I get an even better sound using a more expensive amp,and if so which one?
I listen mostly to well recorded audiophile music such as i.e.
 Carmen Gomes or Paul Berner from the Sound Liaison label
 Doug Macleod from the Reference Recordings label
Bobo Stenson trio from the ECM label
.If you go to one of the sites you can hear very good samples of their music.
http://referencerecordings.com/
http://www.soundliaison.com/
http://www.ecmrecords.com/

[/img]

How come nobody suggest Sennheiser's own amp for the HD 800 the HDVD 800?

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 07:05 pm by K.F. »

Audioclyde

Re: Sennheiser HD800 Headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:55 pm »
KF, although I haven't heard it (but I am next in line to receive one when Donald has another amp completed), a long thread on Head-Fi has quite a few members that think the DNA Stratus is a fabulous match with the HD800's.  It's not inexpensive, at around $2800, but seems to be getting almost universal raves.

Best,

Randy

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2013, 09:15 pm »
Nice looking amplifier K.F. Are you strictly a portable user, or are you looking for improvements for home use?

If it is for home use, what is your primary source component? It might make sense to allocate your upgrade money toward the source component, since you already enjoy the amp and phones so much.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2013, 01:35 am »
I own the Stratus and it is an excellent amp. I'm currently loving it with my Beyerdynamic T1's, but the Sennheiser HD800's sounded great. People over at Head-Fi have been goo-goo over the 800/Stratus combo in the last year. I personally could never get over their bright sound signature. By the way-the Stratus plays great with lot's of phones, which is one of the many reasons I bought it.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:12 pm »
If you want a clean, accurate sound for the HD800 i recommend the Soloist.

This combination is getting popular among headphone lovers.

What's your source btw? this is also important when using the HD800.

budcook

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2013, 03:48 am »
I'm using the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp with Cardas balanced Clear cables with my HD-800.

The BHA-1 can also be used as a pre-amp with both balanced and single-ended outputs. 

It has both balanced and single-ended inputs and both types of female balanced outputs along with 1/4" and mini plug outputs.

The BHA-1 will drive multiple headphones.

Bryston are hand built in Canada and have a 20 year parts and labor warranty.

Cost is $1,395 which I think is a steal.

Bud

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:58 pm »
Woo Audio makes a 300B based head amp that I heard at a show on a pair of Sennheisers. This would be my dream headphone setup. Absolutely blew away any other combo I listened to in their room.

zerodeefex

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2013, 03:11 pm »
There are quite a few great options. A couple that I see recommended as tops:

Eddie Current Balancing Act
Headamp GSX MK2

If you're willing to wait, Schiit has announced they're releasing a new flagship headphone amplifier (Ragnarok) later this year, earlier next. It should be a great performer for the price.

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2013, 06:55 pm »
There are quite a few great options. A couple that I see recommended as tops:

Eddie Current Balancing Act
Headamp GSX MK2

If you're willing to wait, Schiit has announced they're releasing a new flagship headphone amplifier (Ragnarok) later this year, earlier next. It should be a great performer for the price.

+1 with the Schiit amps.  I have the Lyr driving my Byer T1's.  Schiit amps do everything right without breaking the bank.

K.F.

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:26 pm »
hi everybody and thank you for all the suggestions.
Some of you asked for my source.
Mainly it is my Asus PC playing Wav files.
My Dac is an RME Fireface(btw.the headphone amp in that also sounds good).
My budget ....? I was so naive as to think that the amp would be cheaper than the Headphone...but looking at the suggestions,I guess I was wrong.
I do travel quite a bit and for that purpose I have a laptop with a very cheap Behringer Dac going to my Sound Devices.
Is there an all purpose portable amp?
Can a portable amp sound as good as the big stand alone models ?

I am the happy owner of a Sennheiser Hd 800.
I am using a Sound Devices HX3 as an amp.
I am quite happy with the result,but could I get an even better sound using a more expensive amp,and if so which one?
I listen mostly to well recorded audiophile music such as i.e.
 Carmen Gomes or Paul Berner from the Sound Liaison label
 Doug Macleod from the Reference Recordings label
Bobo Stenson trio from the ECM label
.If you go to one of the sites you can hear very good samples of their music.
http://referencerecordings.com/
http://www.soundliaison.com/
http://www.ecmrecords.com/

[/img]

rtm00x

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2013, 05:48 am »
I am looking at the HD-800 to compliment my set of Alessandro MS-Pro's. I had heard them twice at meets. The second time I heard them I had the opportunity to hear them out of my Cavalli Audio EHHA. They sounded excellent. The EHHA is a hell of a value, but it is a DIY design. Glass jar audio has kits for sale. If you are not comfortable with DIY Alex Cavalli does sell a commercial amp, the Liquid Fire, which I believe is an enhanced commercial version, though I might be wrong. I did hear the liquid fire at RMAF last year (maybe two years ago?), excellent headphone amp.

bjski

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2013, 11:37 pm »
I'm using the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp with Cardas balanced Clear cables with my HD-800.

The BHA-1 can also be used as a pre-amp with both balanced and single-ended outputs. 

It has both balanced and single-ended inputs and both types of female balanced outputs along with 1/4" and mini plug outputs.

The BHA-1 will drive multiple headphones.

Bryston are hand built in Canada and have a 20 year parts and labor warranty.

Cost is $1,395 which I think is a steal.

Bud

I'm also using Bryston BHA-1 with Sennhieser HD800. Sometimes I use Hifiman HE500 or Sennhieser HD650. Using Charleston Audio balanced cables. Don't think you can beat the Bryston.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2013, 07:20 pm »
there's not a huge impact with aftermarket cables in my opinion...anyways, don't want to start another cables discussion  :)

bjski

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:58 pm »
Been demoing the Burson Conductor Sl 9018 Dac. This is a sweet little headphone a Dac. Hard choice between the Bryston and Burson.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:47 am »
Been demoing the Burson Conductor Sl 9018 Dac. This is a sweet little headphone a Dac. Hard choice between the Bryston and Burson.

I can imagine that.
They have been running a program where users write their feedback with certain headphone pairings. I'ts interesting the comparison vs the 1793 module.

2gumby2

« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2013, 04:08 am »
I recently purchased a new Teac HA-501 headphone amp and I am very happy with it. It's nice to have the adjustable damping factor to mate with a variety of headphones.

bjski

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:06 am »
I can imagine that.
They have been running a program where users write their feedback with certain headphone pairings. I'ts interesting the comparison vs the 1793 module.
That's the program I'm doing. They sent me the Audeze LCD-3 to make my comparison.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2013, 02:08 am »
What a lucky man.

In that case i'll be interested to see how it works with all your gear. Hopefully in the future they include a LCD-X or MD? :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2013, 03:56 am »
I bought a used Rudistor RPX33mk2 to go with my Sennheiser HD800s.

bjski

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2013, 10:44 pm »
What a lucky man.

In that case i'll be interested to see how it works with all your gear. Hopefully in the future they include a LCD-X or MD? :thumb:
The problem is the LCD-3 is my go to headphone now. When the equipment needs to be returned I'll be looking for some LCD-3. Anyone intrested in Sennhieser HD800? LOL!