Best headphones to mod...

EDS_

Best headphones to mod...
« on: 2 Apr 2013, 04:03 am »
I'm really getting back into the 'phone thing pretty hard.  I've been a long time Grado RS-2 owner FWIIW as well. 

Stable - Mac or iPhone, Headroom Total Bithead, AQ Dragonfly, Cary SLI-80 (fantabulous as a headphone amp) Grado RS-2 mentioned, Sennheiser Momentum, and assorted earbuds.

Two tacks:
1.  My RS-2's left ear cup is split.  It's wood and does not look split and surprisingly the split seems to have zero audible impact but split it is.  Ideas, links etc. to buy a fix and might this be a good time to upgrade wires etc.

2  I'd like to buy a pair of highly mod-able phones to use as my traveling pair.  I'd like to spend maybe $200/$250 on the 'phones and less than that on the mods.  Ideas?  Low to mid-end Grados maybe?

Thanks all.

Russell Dawkins

Re: Best headphones to mod...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:20 am »
Well.... you could modify the Fostex T50RPs; there's lots of information on that here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links

I think you need some sort of amplifier boost with these, though, and they are no more comfortable than the Grados.

and if all fails you could do further mods and turn them into microphones, as this guy did (posted on a nature recording forum - I get around!):

"Perhaps not the best configuration for nature recording but I thought I'd try it using more sensitive figure 8 mics. They are based on headphone transducers with a small preamp. Not a normal voice coil but rather the Fostex flat printed transducer technology. Think large flat ribbon mic rather than dynamic voice coil.

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/active-blumlein-pair

Skip to the low background noise comment to get some idea of the noise levels, until that point the neighbors oil burner and distant road din ingress the recording.

Rough edit from 10 hours of material.

EQ Applied, low end lift +12dB.

Hare at start of the recording is < 3 meters away from the mic stand.
Heat inverters / oil burners / road traffic permeates the landscape until 8am.

Sensitivity matches the NT1A. Using the AT3032 or NT1A one of these may be the next recording however this would defeat the purpose of making them. To be immune to the effects of moisture.

I prefer the 20cm spaced fig 8's facing forwards / Faulkner array configuration but thought I'd throw this out to see how they sound in a blumlein configuration.

BR
Mike.
Preamp c/o Micbuilders Ricardo Lees "Ribbon.gif" circuit. (2 transistors, 2 resistors, cable + XLR plug)"

minimus

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:55 am »
You probably should check out Headphile.com.  They can fix the ear cup of your RS-2 and replace the cord.  They have been around a long time and mod quite a few headphones-- most notably Beyers.  You may get some ideas there.  Otherwise, most mods I know about are to high-end cans (the "anaxilus" mod to the HD800s and the "Markl" mod to Denon D7000s), which are above your budget. 

dBel84

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:45 am »
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/whats-this-site-about.html

another place to look into for new cups and exceptional workmanship.

..dB

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:35 pm »
1 - As mentioned before, Larry at headphile does a good job modding and repairing grado.

2 - You have the Momentum, its is really necessary another portable pair?

starman

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:15 am »
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/whats-this-site-about.html

another place to look into for new cups and exceptional workmanship.

..dB
Nice! My favorite sites to look for headphones are currently www.cnet.com/topics/headphones (I know, a lot of people don't think cnet is "audiophile" enough, but it's still a large source) and www.headphonesunboxed.com (I like the clear listings of the best options). Anyway, the Grado Prestige 325is are one of my favorite, definitely better than Beats (I do like the noise-cancelling features of Bose).

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:46 pm »
I was given some Grado SR125's a few years back and changed everything but the skeleton......

There is a post/thread/small book here somewhere that follows the modding.... Buy an old used pair and have a ball.  My ear chambers are Limba wood,  I tried coco...??? (sp) and several others before settling for Limba... Violins,  and other older classical instruments are built in limba. They sound great,  I still have them,  they will never be sold the whole process was a blast!!!!!!!
 I'll try and locate the thread..... Have fun.... Enjoy!!!

jennaboca

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:03 am »
Nice! My favorite sites to look for headphones are currently www.cnet.com/topics/headphones (I know, a lot of people don't think cnet is "audiophile" enough, but it's still a large source) and www.headphonesunboxed.com (I like the clear listings of the best options). Anyway, the Grado Prestige 325is are one of my favorite, definitely better than Beats (I do like the noise-cancelling features of Bose).

Cnet is okay - they tend to be the best when it comes to reviews of a particular product. For headphone guides I like www.pricenfees.com/category/headphones they outline everything in a nice format. Check it out if you are interested. Headphonsunboxed is pretty decent as well, very similar format actually.
The bose are hard to beat, in my opinion, when it comes to the noise-cancelling features.
Hope that helps  :D

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:34 am »
Some people like the sound of the JVC HARX 700 after it is modded. The JVC HARX900 could also be modded.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods
Scotty

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2015, 02:03 pm »
Absolutely Headphile to fix your RS2's.

Like eclein, I went through a mod phase around some SR60i's a number of years ago.  I settled on east indian rosewood as the cups, replaced the grills, removed the white cover on the drivers, punched all 10 holes and recabled.  I was thrilled with my hybrid tube headamp.

I did end up selling it all off.  I currently use a Zen portable headamp, and a set of the on ear Momentums.

I do miss the Grado's at times, but I cannot use open back headphones these days, too much ambient noise most of the time I want to listen.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2015, 01:02 am »
Some people like the sound of the JVC HARX 700 after it is modded. The JVC HARX900 could also be modded.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods
Scotty

Yes, I modded the JVC HARX900 to good effect.  There's an excellent thread on doing that mod somewhere, an easy google search brings it right up.  Damping the chamber a bit tightens up the bass, too much lightens the bass more than most would like.  Removing the felt dispersion ring tames the treble and opens up the detail at the expense of a slight loss of soundstage.  I left the metal dispersion plate in.  Makes a good $57 phone a Sennhieser 5xx series killer.