Stranger Things, OMFG

Tomy2Tone

Re: Stranger Things, OMFG
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:08 pm »
I've seen the first 3 episodes so far and I'd add "Poltergeist" to the mash-up of 80's movies the show draws from... it should be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Yeah, Poltergeist and Super 8/E.T. kept coming to mind.

The girl that plays Eleven was remarkable despite not having much to say. Her expressions were kinda haunting, couldn't help but feel bad for her...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:09 pm »
Just finished. Overall I thought it was pretty good, by the episode "the acrobat and the flea" I was hooked.

So when can we start discussing things? I got questions...

No spoilers!!!  :shh:

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:12 pm »
Just finished. Overall I thought it was pretty good, by the episode "the acrobat and the flea" I was hooked.

So when can we start discussing things? I got questions...

I've seen people post with the text in white, and say "spoilers" at the top. It works pretty good because you have to highlight it or it's hard as hell to read. It works best on the light background though...

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2016, 02:39 am »
Meh. First episode leaves me underwhelmed. Doesn't take time to breathe which is part of what made Spielberg and King works so great. Also cinematography just seems flat. 80s movies were magical partly because of the long lens shots and flowing movement. So far this is clumsily paced. I'll try another episode.

For a debut it is solid but I am not feeling the hype.

Winona is amazing though. Best performance of the show so far.

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm »
Almost finished the show. It does get better after the first episode. I think the Spielberg/Stephen King comparisons overhype it. It's more like a late 80s ABC mini-series adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel if anyone remembers that kind of stuff. The show works best when it isn't trying to pay homage to the maestros, which I just find distracting. Ryder's performance holds the show together - it's almost award worthy. Hope they get more actors of that caliber for the next season. Modine is wasted tho.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm »
I see, your brain waves are a little closers to hysteria, :P

I thought she played a good role because I didn't recognize her. But she vibes wrong with me. See I think my brain jives more with people that are more towards the other characters; or that's what I'm use to.

I don't really see the references because I'm too caught up in it. Plus no film/TV show named in reference to it, have I ever liked. It's like they took stuff from them but did it so I wouldn't hate it.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm »
I see, your brain waves are a little closers to hysteria, :P

I thought she played a good role because I didn't recognize her. But she vibes wrong with me. See I think my brain jives more with people that are more towards the other characters; or that's what I'm use to.

I don't really see the references because I'm too caught up in it. Plus no film/TV show named in reference to it, have I ever liked. It's like they took stuff from them but did it so I wouldn't hate it.

Lol. I definitely recommend the show despite my criticisms.

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2016, 11:28 pm »
I've been binge watching Orange is the New Black, but wouldn't recommend it. It's just nice background story while I work on stuff.

You think other people will try to hire crazed WR? Might become her thing.

orientalexpress

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2016, 02:54 am »
This Nancy wheeler and Jonathan Myer are stupid,what the hell are they're hoping to find in the wood in middle of the night ?and Nancy went inside  tree stump in the middle of the night? :o

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:12 am »
I've been binge watching Orange is the New Black, but wouldn't recommend it. It's just nice background story while I work on stuff.

I watched the first episode a year ago; I liked it but I never got around to watching any more. Then a couple months ago I started up again and am halfway through S1.  Overall I do like it.  Great actors, compelling performances, some gallows humor, etc.  But I don't love it.  There's only so much that can go on in the fishbowl of a prison each week. They do show life outside but at times the show drags a bit.  Odds are good that I will watch it til the end but it's not a super high priority to me. Honestly I don't have a ton of free time since I'm the Exec Chef of a restaurant and when I'm off I don't really like to veg out in front of the TV.  The things I will absolutely binge on are Daredevil, January Jones and BoJack Horseman.  I watch GoT every week but that's a pretty short season.  I also really love Ash Vs Evil Dead but it's also a short season.  Everything else is just something to turn on if I get bored.

Still, I will try to catch Stranger Things and The Man in the High Castle.

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:27 am »
This Nancy wheeler and Jonathan Myer are stupid,what the hell are they're hoping to find in the wood in middle of the night ?and Nancy went inside  tree stump in the middle of the night? :o

I prefer them as friends over you, because maybe someone would come find me if I was missing!

OITNB literally plays while I solder, answer emails, etc. I wouldn't make a point to watch it. It's just fodder to eat up the quietness when I'm working by myself.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2016, 05:10 am »
I finished it, idk about the ending... overall it was pretty good though.

orientalexpress

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2016, 05:14 am »
I love it  :thumb:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:29 pm »
My wife and I were most of the way through the first season before we realized that parts of the show had been filmed in and around our area. Great show with an authentic 80s vibe. Looking forward to the sequel.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 2 Aug 2016, 04:48 pm »
Looks like Steven King likes it:

http://mashable.com/2016/08/01/stranger-things-stephen-king-references/?utm_cid=mash-com-social-huffpo-partner#wfQpqNFo9Sqm

Although the article is wrong about SK's Pennywise, there's a clown scene in poltergeist that I always thought was one of the scariest parts....

persisting1

« Reply #35 on: 4 Aug 2016, 09:04 pm »
I really enjoyed it. The ending wasn't my favorite, but a solid show from beginning to end.

I know this won't be popular, but Winona Ryder didn't work out for me in this role as much as i wanted her to.

Joemamma

« Reply #36 on: 4 Aug 2016, 09:48 pm »
I thought the show was fantastic.  I was sucked in from the beginning.  Cant wait for season 2.  Man, I hope there is a season 2.  I have read previous comments about Winona and her acting.  However, I think she was overshadowed by the rest of the cast, mostly unknowns.  The kids nailed it.

gregcss

« Reply #37 on: 5 Aug 2016, 01:31 am »
I really liked it, however it did take a couple episodes to really get into it.

Stercom

« Reply #38 on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:29 am »
I thought the show was fantastic.  I was sucked in from the beginning.  Cant wait for season 2.  Man, I hope there is a season 2.  I have read previous comments about Winona and her acting.  However, I think she was overshadowed by the rest of the cast, mostly unknowns.  The kids nailed it.
:thumb: :thumb:

The kid missing teeth is excellent. Very, very good TV.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #39 on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:07 pm »
I really enjoyed it. The ending wasn't my favorite, but a solid show from beginning to end.

I know this won't be popular, but Winona Ryder didn't work out for me in this role as much as i wanted her to.

Agree. Winona was one of the weaker pieces of that project. Her overwrought characterization is a little too forced.