Omegas with electronic music

subframe

Omegas with electronic music
« on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm in the midst of a search for new speakers.  I'm really drawn to efficient speakers and low-powered amps.  However, I also listen to a lot of electronic music (and dub).  So far, the only speaker/amp combinations I've found that can do justice to the complexity and synthetic bass of these genres have been inefficient speakers mated with high-power SS amps.

But I keep coming back to my love for tubes and what they bring to the table. 

So I'm once again considering the Omegas.  I'd likely add a sub as needed.  Does anyone here have experience listening to electronic music with Omegas?

Thanks.

RDavidson

Re: Omegas with electronic music
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:07 am »
I listen to all types of music, including dub sometimes with my Omega Super 3xrs'. The speed, clarity, and attack are all there, but a sub is necessary. This isn't a negative. It is what it is. Something worth noting is that Louis has the Deep Omega sub as well as Outlaws with built in subs. Both of these routes would likely suit you well, while still costing far less than anything comparable by anyone else in the high efficiency, single driver, game.

ClefChef

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:56 am »
I had a pair of Omega M5 with 5" whizzered driver - while the speakers were relatively small, the amount of bass pumped out was quite enormous for the speaker this size - perfect for electronica, dub, and house.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:58 am »
I listen to all types of music, including dub sometimes with my Omega Super 3xrs'. The speed, clarity, and attack are all there, but a sub is necessary. This isn't a negative. It is what it is. Something worth noting is that Louis has the Deep Omega sub as well as Outlaws with built in subs. Both of these routes would likely suit you well, while still costing far less than anything comparable by anyone else in the high efficiency, single driver, game.

I agree.

I think a RS5 based speaker with the 12" Speed 12 woofer built in would be awesome, but if that's too much cash you could get one separate 12" or 8" sub to pair with a set of any of the Omega speakers.

I think my Super 3 XRS sound great with electronica like Beats Antique, Thievery Corporation, Bonobo, etc... even Infected Mushroom sounds good... with the Speed 12 setup you'd also get the slam required for that kind of electronica.

I think their weakness is on stuff like Led Zeppelin, it seems like you just need a very large crappy system for that kind of music, resolution is not your friend on some recordings.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:46 am »
I think their weakness is on stuff like Led Zeppelin, it seems like you just need a very large crappy system for that kind of music, resolution is not your friend on some recordings.

Hey now, careful there.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 03:17 am by opnly bafld »

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:58 am »
Hi all.
Just a reminder and/or a piece of advice from an Omega owner:
Never, never, never post here anything negative
or anything that says more or less that Omega speakers are not perfect
and that Omega speakers cannot reproduce all type of music,
including heavy metal rock or big orchestra or you will suffer the consequences,
I should know, I did dare to say that my Omega 7F had problem reproducing big orchestra.
And because of that: Louis and Rob don't like me anymore and will probably delete this post.
Freedom of speech does not exist on this forum, unless you only says good things about Omega speakers.
No speakers are perfect, no speaker can reproduce faithfully anything you throw at them,
but that, it's not something the Omega follower believe.
O.K. now that I have said what I wanted, you can send my post to the waste bin.

Guy 13

By the way, I still enjoy very much my Omega 7F (Open Baffle Dipole) with jazz, electronic music and guitar music, in other words, small ensemble or solo instruments.
I never, never had so good drivers in my whole life and I'm 66.
That says a lot, don't you think so?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:14 am »
Louis and Rob don't like me anymore and will probably delete this post.
Freedom of speech does not exist on this forum, unless you only says good things about Omega speakers.

thanks for that guy,i didnt know that...i think you'll survive this one... :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:28 am »
thanks for that guy,i didnt know that...i think you'll survive this one... :lol:
Hi Georgopoulos.
After 20 years on planet Vietnam,
believe me when I say I can survive to almost anything
and not having Louis and Rob not liking me,
it's very easy to survive to.

Guy 13

The clock is ticking on how long it will take tone of them to blast me or to delete me.
I'm waiting anxious to found out the consequences of my writing.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:49 am »
Guy, many around here think you're cool dude, but why the unnecessary commentary that really doesn't have anything to do with the OP's question?
I understand you have a grudge. This isn't the first time you've made this known. It's as though you look to instigate a confrontation of sorts. Why? What's the point?

guillaume bougard

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:38 am »
I cant wait to receive my SRX 7's and play some Scientist or Sly & Robbie dub on them to see how low they can get.

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:50 am »
Guy, many around here think you're cool dude, but why the unnecessary commentary that really doesn't have anything to do with the OP's question?
I understand you have a grudge. This isn't the first time you've made this known. It's as though you look to instigate a confrontation of sorts. Why? What's the point?
Hi R.
I have a reason and a point for what I am posting.
However, right now, cannot share it with you and all.
Post like this one will not happen again until middle of next year.
(You and others will understand when time comes.)
Sorry, but please do like the other Louis followers
and ignore my post.

Guy 13

subframe

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:14 pm »
I cant wait to receive my SRX 7's and play some Scientist or Sly & Robbie dub on them to see how low they can get.

Nice, can't wait to hear your impressions.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:56 pm »
Guy13 is basing his impressions on a DIY speaker with drivers he purchased during the brief time omega offered DIY drivers.  Guy13s speakers are not Omega and don't remotely resemble anything Louis has made, just the drivers are Omega.

Electronica works REALLY well with the RS5 driver.  If you are looking for a killer system and wanting to keep the cost down, try the Super 3i and either a deepOmega 8 or 12 sub depending on room size.  You will have 28 - 20,000Hz done with authority, and imaging that is utterly spooky, along with electrostatic speed.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:54 pm »
Hi subframe,

The best you can hope to gain from any loudspeaker is a simply different presentation of your music. What you deem suitable will only be a reflection of your own personal tastes. My experience with both the Hoyt 1.5 and Omega Super 3 XRS is that both are a window into how the recording was mixed and produced. Some might complain that this presentation is analytical or too revealing (how can there be such a thing???!!!) but for me I was simply able to enjoy my music more.

Personally I would go for the Hoyt Bedfords, Super 7 XRS or Alnico XRS and a great, pure sounding solid state amplifier (20-70 watts but no more, no less) if your tastes are primarily for electronic music. I believe the quality of your source is more important, and will ultimately make or break an Omega speaker, than a bias towards amplifier type.

Hey CanadaRob, maybe a separate page for users to post their opinions of DACs with the Omegas?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:29 pm »
Hi Dave,

Go ahead and start a thread on DACs and Omegas here on the Omega Audio Circle and lets see what the response is.

FireGuy

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:34 pm »
Electronica works REALLY well with the RS5 driver.  If you are looking for a killer system and wanting to keep the cost down, try the Super 3i and either a deepOmega 8 or 12 sub depending on room size.  You will have 28 - 20,000Hz done with authority, and imaging that is utterly spooky, along with electrostatic speed.
[/quote]

:beer:    :banana piano:

Good Times

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2014, 12:05 pm »
I'm not in the camp that everything works perfectly with Omegas and they do it all, but I'm a big electronica fan and haven't tripped them up as yet. Even though the genre can involve complex sequences, the actual tones are somewhat easier to reproduce (imo) to that of a full scale orchestra for example. They are relatively simple in comparison. And so combined with a good sub, I think they're superb with the genre.

I would go for the larger driver models so that you get the most mid-bass impact that electronica offers.

subframe

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2014, 05:43 pm »
I'm not in the camp that everything works perfectly with Omegas and they do it all, but I'm a big electronica fan and haven't tripped them up as yet. Even though the genre can involve complex sequences, the actual tones are somewhat easier to reproduce (imo) to that of a full scale orchestra for example. They are relatively simple in comparison. And so combined with a good sub, I think they're superb with the genre.

I would go for the larger driver models so that you get the most mid-bass impact that electronica offers.

Good to hear.  What kind of amp are you running?