'Best' speaker cable to use with Bryston 4B SST

SF

Re: 'Best' speaker cable to use with Bryston 4B SST
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:06 pm »
Hi Rob;

The 8TC is a little warmer sounding due to higher capacitance but I know a tweak that helps open it up a bit more.

What is your tweek to open up 8TC.

Thanks,
SF

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #41 on: 21 Feb 2009, 01:14 am »
I was wandering James if u can tell us what internal speaker wire they use in the PMC speaker line (just curious).  When looking for speaker cable i  start lookin first at what the internal speaker wire is being used in the speakers.  If it accessible on the market its probably a good place to start. If using (for eg.) a Bryston /PMC setup it might be good idea to keep the same brand of internal wire right out of your amp to the speakers. It may not be what u end up with, but its a good guide for a starting point.

werd up!... Just kidding, pretend like I didn't just type that.

The cable we use is actually the same exact cable that Mr. Tanner found to be the most unobjectionable.  It being Van Damme in varying gauges depending on what driver we've got them connected to.  Across the board it is this very unassuming wire that can be found in everything PMC.  Everything from the DB1i's to the BB5-XBD-A has a bit of Van Damme inside of it.

werd

« Reply #42 on: 21 Feb 2009, 03:15 am »
O nice, thats interesting 8). James I guess your system synergy comes honestly.  

denjo

« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2009, 05:25 am »
I am using the Auditorium 23s with my Bryston B100 SST Integrated and feel that it sounds very good! I had earlier got a pair of Van Damme SC but unfortunately I had miscalculated the length and ended up with a shorter cable that would fit!  :oops:

The Auditorium 23s are about 8 x more expensive than the Van Damme Cables. When funds permit, I might just try the Van Damme SC since James feels that it is a very neutral sounding cable. the quality of the Van Damme cables look  very good.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:08 am »
Due to room layout, I have very long speaker cable runs.  One side is almost 30 ft, and the other is about 25.  I'm currently using Canare 4S11 (not bi-wired) because everything I read stated that it was very good for long runs.

I'm not very good with the mathematical figures and exactly what they mean.  Would the Bryston cable work better in my application?

Should both sides be equal length?

I understand why shorter balanced IC runs are preferrable, however I don't have balanced inputs on my B60 nor outputs from my sources.  It would be very difficult to explain my room layout and why I have long speakers runs, and I don't think it would really add to the relevant discussion anyway.

Last question - are the OEM power cords VanDamme as well?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 25 Feb 2009, 03:36 pm »
Due to room layout, I have very long speaker cable runs.  One side is almost 30 ft, and the other is about 25.  I'm currently using Canare 4S11 (not bi-wired) because everything I read stated that it was very good for long runs.

I'm not very good with the mathematical figures and exactly what they mean.  Would the Bryston cable work better in my application?

Should both sides be equal length?

I understand why shorter balanced IC runs are preferrable, however I don't have balanced inputs on my B60 nor outputs from my sources.  It would be very difficult to explain my room layout and why I have long speakers runs, and I don't think it would really add to the relevant discussion anyway.

Last question - are the OEM power cords VanDamme as well?

Hi Stu,

I think you're fine with the Canare and 5 feet difference is not much when electrons are travelling at the speed of light.

No our power cords are source here in Canada.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #46 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:46 am »
Thanks James.

gtaphile

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:48 pm »
Excuse the intrusion as I no longer am a Bryston owner. My question is why did you choose that cable. Was it for the spec of the cable to a synergy with your components or another reason. I am curious how and why a component manf. chooses their cabling. Thank you. This is NOT cable debate question. Just curious. trying to learn something.

Not to answer for James.....

But I suspect that the engineering attributes of that cable (capacitance, etc) are well within the paramaeters of what would make a cable neutral from an theoretical engineering perspective.

Keith

Hi All,

Correct Keith - my point of view is that the best interconnect cable or speaker cable is no cable at all. So the cable that changes the signal the least is what I prefer.  I usually try different cables at home (currently have about 5 different types) and run comparisons which is quite interesting.

My position on cables has always been that cables do sound different but that difference can be interpreted as different 'better' or different 'worse' - depending on a specific system. Also I have always felt that you can not tell people they don't hear what they hear - all we can do is try to discover what is going on electrically and mechanically in a specfic cable or system to cause those sonic differences.

james

James,

I have a dilema with my Bryston/PMC setup. I have tried identical balanced 1.5 meter set-ups from Mogami and Musiflex. The Mogami is very detailed, revealing but overall too bright. The Musiflex is far less detailed across the board. I am seeking something inbetween. As you have many interconnects that you are using what balanced interconnect would you recommend I try next.

Thanks for any help.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #48 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:57 pm »
Excuse the intrusion as I no longer am a Bryston owner. My question is why did you choose that cable. Was it for the spec of the cable to a synergy with your components or another reason. I am curious how and why a component manf. chooses their cabling. Thank you. This is NOT cable debate question. Just curious. trying to learn something.

But I suspect that the engineering attributes of that cable (capacitance, etc) are well within the paramaeters of what would make a cable neutral from an theoretical engineering perspective.

Keith

Hi All,

Correct Keith - my point of view is that the best interconnect cable or speaker cable is no cable at all. So the cable that changes the signal the least is what I prefer.  I usually try different cables at home (currently have about 5 different types) and run comparisons which is quite interesting.

My position on cables has always been that cables do sound different but that difference can be interpreted as different 'better' or different 'worse' - depending on a specific system. Also I have always felt that you can not tell people they don't hear what they hear - all we can do is try to discover what is going on electrically and mechanically in a specfic cable or system to cause those sonic differences.

james

James,

I have a dilema with my Bryston/PMC setup. I have tried identical balanced 1.5 meter set-ups from Mogami and Musiflex. The Mogami is very detailed, revealing but overall too bright. The Musiflex is far less detailed across the board. I am seeking something inbetween. As you have many interconnects that you are using what balanced interconnect would you recommend I try next.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

The XLR Balanced cables we use in our professional installs are the ones on the website. Its a low noise microphone cable from VanDamme - http://bryston.com/xlr.html
I typically use them with my IB2 setup

On the more exotic front at home right now I have these XLR balanced interconnect cables, Golden Cross Cardas cables, Empirical Design cables, Straight Wire, Goretz and Wireworld.

james

khfm865

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jun 2009, 05:48 pm »
I have a Nordost Frey loom with my 4BSST2 - great improvement over my old chord rumour cabling. Miles better. I have a vishnu mains lead into the Poweramp too.

gtaphile

« Reply #50 on: 18 Jun 2009, 10:44 pm »

Keith

Hi All,

james

James,

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

The XLR Balanced cables we use in our professional installs are the ones on the website. Its a low noise microphone cable from VanDamme - http://bryston.com/xlr.html
I typically use them with my IB2 setup

On the more exotic front at home right now I have these XLR balanced interconnect cables, Golden Cross Cardas cables, Empirical Design cables, Straight Wire, Goretz and Wireworld.

james

Thnak you