Limited edition new NX-Otica and NX-Treme models coming soon too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Nice looking finish Jay.

I haven't figured out how to get a camera to do justice to a speaker yet and that is after getting a decent DSLR.

Mike

Captainhemo

I took the liberty to try and remove the colorcast. Hopefully, these are more true.

thanks jzexport
Both somewhat better, the top one looks closer than the bottom one.

Steve & Mike,  yeah,  I'm very happy, I wish I could do a better job withthe camera  to show them better.
One more I took when watching the tube late  last ngiht. compoter monitor behind was on too

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Nice looking finish Jay.

I haven't figured out how to get a camera to do justice to a speaker yet and that is after getting a decent DSLR.

Mike

Built in flashes on cameras almost always suck when faced with shiny reflective surfaces. You don't necessarily need a DSLR, but do need something that shoots in low light which means large aperture/fast lens. That way you can shoot with ambient light and get away from all that glare.

Almost without exception the more recent photos I post here are shot without flash with a compact Panasonic LX7. I bought it specifically for it's ability to shoot in low light and wide angle capability which is needed for pics of remodels. I was tempted by the gadgetry and associated complexity of DSLR, but in the end I made the right choice for me. FWIW, it's capability certainly exceeds my ability to use all it's functionality.

I so want to hear these.

Captainhemo

Peter, trust me, it's not the camera   :lol:
I've been using my Panasonic  FZ30, older than your  LX7 but at one point was the flaghsip.  It is capable  and if I actually took the time to  review /re-learn everything, you guys would all be seeing  much better pimages, unfortunately it's just not high on my priority list

I so want to hear these.

I hear you  !!

jay

SteveKi

Jay,
What is the plan for the crossover?

You have a lot more self control than I do... at this point of the project I would be up until 3am wiring them up.   :D
Steve

Captainhemo

Jay,
What is the plan for the crossover?

You have a lot more self control than I do... at this point of the project I would be up until 3am wiring them up.   :D
Steve

The networks will soon be finalized by Danny.
This pair  and a pair we sent Danny were  the 2nd run. Assembling the pair here  we discovered a couple things that needed to be addrsssed, Danny will let us know soon if there is anything else we need to look at before proceeding with more runs.

My self control is not   that good either Steve, why do you think I loaded up one of those cabinets with drivers  ? !

jay

Danny Richie

I just did a dry fit of all the parts for this flat pack. These flat packs are REALLY nice.

Danny Richie

Okay, I have a pair of these up and playing now. Just a couple of hours on them but man these things are stunning. I'll come back with details, but for now I might have a new favorite. They do some things better than the Super-7's. Just, wow!

Captainhemo

Remember this am  when I said I was anxious to hear your thoughts once you had the  pair up and running (not just a single) ?  This  is great to hear  :thumb:

jay

Ron

That is really great news!  I just knew they were going to be something special. Anxious to read Danny's detailed report as to how they sound.

Danny Richie

I did some listening yesterday and decided the lower tweeter range sounded a little forward and a bit too sharp. So I changed the shape of the slope a little and brought the lower tweeter range down just a little. Then I shifted the M-165NQ's up a hair. The crossover point came up a hair to 1,340Hz. They are smooth as glass now. I think I have nailed it.

And the lower side panels definitely need some No Rez.

Now to add up some totals and get a cost for everything....

jcotner

So how many pair of these will be sold? It started off at 10 pairs and
last I saw that became 6 pairs.
And if there were any pre-sales that number will be lower still.
These will be an exclusive speaker, that's for sure.

Captainhemo

the 6 pairs  were the  NX-Tremes... AFAIK,  still 10 pairs of the  Ottica's will be sold, not sure  what, If any, have been pre ordered.

jay

jcotner

I guess when I read the original post I thought Danny only got 10 pairs of
tweeters. Guess it was a little more than that.
Boy would it ever be a great time for somebody to find a cache of Neo3's  :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Jay,

Would just the top MTM section be possible?

One way I could think of would be for the person who wants this configuration to take the whole flat pack and cut the sides and baffle down and cut a new bottom piece. There would be a lot of waste this way unless they thought they might build out the bottom section at a later time.

The other would be to only cut the MTM section in the first place. This may not be feasible from a programming standpoint for the NX-Otica unless it would only take a minor tweak to switch from the Neo waveguide to the Peerless cutout for use with the X-Otica also.

I'm thinking about the case of limited real estate for speaker set up. For instance, my listening room is 13'9" x 10'2". I currently have the Wedgies on top of the 12" Wedge Bass units. They are 3' off the front wall, 6' apart and about 4' off the side walls. The LP is 7' in front of the speakers and right up against the back wall.  If I were to put a full size pair of NX-Oticas along this wall with a pair of H-frames flanking them, keeping the NX-Oticas 6' apart, the subs would fit with about 2' to the side walls if placed right next to the NX-Oticas (or 1' between speaker and sub and 1' between sub and side wall).

If I oriented off the short wall, with the H-Frames almost touching the side walls and the NX-Oticas almost touching the H-Frames the Otica's would be about 5' apart. With the speakers 3' off the front wall, if the LP were positioned 7' away from the speakers there would be 3' between the LP and the rear wall.

I guess the questions are (1) what is the minimum size room for properly setting up a full size pair of the NX-Oticas along with a pair of 12" H-frames and have the listening position far enough away from the speakers to get the full effect? and (2) is just the MTM section a feasible possibility for a smaller room?

Mike

Captainhemo

Mike, exellent ?'s ,  I can't help yo with all of them  but I can  help with a couple things

As there are a very limited # of tweeters available, it's not really worth doing an MTM design  with them. Now, there may be  guys who have a set of  Neo's or a speaker that is already using them  which they  might  be willing to pull them out of , in that case, cutting the top  MZTM section  off  may be an option..... I actually have a few extra baffles  that we had some minor issues with. they  won't  get used for full  Otticas but  they could be made into MTM's easily enough. Problem with that is after cutting the MTM section off, you  have  very little (.25") below the  lower NQ, we'd almost have to cut you  a new pair of baffles with more room below that woofer. Even with those, you'd have to get  a network from Danny   as youi'd be needing a 2 way  network,  something youi'd have to discuss with Danny.

We are planning to do some  X-Otticas at some point if anyone expresses interest.  It is a bit more than just removing the waveguide and chaning the tweeter cutout.   The MTM section needs to be tightened up by an inch keeping it as tight as possible for the higher c/o point , you can gain that by  removing the waveguide and switching to the Peerless cutout/recess. This in turn shortens the  cabinet by an  inch as well so the wings have to be  shortened and the notch for the  open Neo 3  needs to be removed.  With regards to an MTM, the same appies as I noted above....cutting the  top section off will "work" but  you really need to  just cut  a new baffle or  you end up with very litle material below the lower NQ.

My room is only about 12' wide but it is 18' deep. I'm lucky as the room actually sounds very good. I have everything on the short wall which leaves my subs  up against the side walls and my mains a bit closer  together than I'd like  but  it is what I have to work with.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make triples fit, I just love the added  weight  especailly at lower levels which I listen to a  lot.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Jay,

Your room is considerably larger than mine. Your short wall is almost the same as my long wall. There had been some mention of an MTM section previously and I think I remember Danny saying that the crossover for the MTM section would be the same whether it was in the full speaker or stand alone. I could easily have misunderstood that though.

Maybe Danny can chime in on the minimum room size and distances needed for a complete setup.

Thanks

Mike

Captainhemo

I hear you regarding the room size, , I realize it's considerably larger, wasn't trying to imply otherwise.  Was trying to make the point that at 12' wide, it is not ideal, would be nice to have it a bit wider so I totally understand  what you  were saying as  as one way you are  slightly wider, the other  narrower.

Yes, I recall the same post(s),  I believe it was in the  X-Ottica thread Danny started  and I posted some pics of a mode I did for a possible MTM section using the Peerless tweeter.   IIFC, Danny was refering to the MTM measurements he had done   without the bass ection, so yeah, it will work, I  just thought the network would need to be altered a bit to let the NQ's roll of naturally or even a little filter added in a  2 way  design but I could be mistaken ?

jay

ebag4

Watching this thread with interest, I too would be interested in an MTM section.  While not ideal, I could share the tweeter from my Wedgie.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2016, 01:04 am by ebag4 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Jay,

Ok I get what you are saying about the room.

Now that you mention it, I think it was the X-Otica thread about the MTM only section.

Mike