Show Us Your Core-NCore!

jugi6

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #360 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:59 am »
Oh, come on Julf... a seasoned and experienced audiophile knows when there's a difference. But if you don't "believe" in cable differences, then that's OK.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #361 on: 7 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm »
Oh, come on Julf... a seasoned and experienced audiophile knows when there's a difference.

Oh, come on, Jugi...:)

Anyone who has been involved with audio for long enough knows how fallible the human brain is, and how strong perceptual biases can be. There has been a number of times I have been absolutely convinced I can hear a clear difference, only to be proven wrong when I take part in some proper, rigorous double-blind ABX.

If you believe you have golden ears, then that's of course OK.

I have been an engineer long enough not to base my decisions purely on subjective and unverifiable impressions - but I guess a large part of the high-end audio business (or whatever is left of it) would disappear if everybody would share my belief system :)

Bubbleboy76

« Reply #362 on: 10 Feb 2013, 11:02 pm »
My 3 monoblocks with bridged nc400 and SMPS1200A400, built by my friend Georg.

We have compared them against the standard nc400+SMPS600 in a dual-mono config today. The bridged ones sounds much more "alive", and they are not even runned in. The standard ones sounds flatter. Less dynamics.

The monoblocks has version 4 of nc400. The dual-mono has version 3. What was the changes made in version 4?

rilke1999

« Reply #363 on: 11 Feb 2013, 08:00 am »
Plain vanilla ncore 400 build for my neighbour ,...

http://Http://Erich.nullo.de

FloridaBear

« Reply #364 on: 15 Feb 2013, 06:16 pm »
First monoblock is complete. Took a couple "glamour shots" that I thought I'd share. I may rework the power connections a little, otherwise I think it looks pretty good. Sounds good, too!

Rclark

« Reply #365 on: 15 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
That is a sweet looking faceplate! Gotta love these might little amps.

Shaman

« Reply #366 on: 16 Feb 2013, 02:46 pm »
Do Siliconray still ship the same back panel with these enclosures?
I recall there was a second version with proper Neutrik fit and different binding post spacing.

FloridaBear

« Reply #367 on: 17 Feb 2013, 02:12 am »
Do Siliconray still ship the same back panel with these enclosures?
I recall there was a second version with proper Neutrik fit and different binding post spacing.

That is the Siliconray case above; it was ordered in January but I had to wait for new cases to come in. As far as I know, that is the current back panel they are shipping (except for the power switch hole which I drilled).

As far as the Neutrik fit, I tapped the Neutrik holes to M4 threads, but I could not get the screws to thread because the holes do not quite line up. I ended up using M3 screws with nuts on the back instead.

It wouldn't be my ideal choice for layout (but it's not bad); but I imagine if you inquired with them you could get a blank back panel shipped instead. I may still inquire about getting a couple panels shipped and drill the way I want them.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #368 on: 17 Feb 2013, 03:49 am »
It wouldn't be my ideal choice for layout (but it's not bad); but I imagine if you inquired with them you could get a blank back panel shipped instead. I may still inquire about getting a couple panels shipped and drill the way I want them.

You can indeed. That's what I did, see here

Best,
Anand

Shaman

« Reply #369 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:37 am »
Thanks guys. So I guess there was no "official" update of the back panel design to fix the Neutrik issue.

ufokillerz

« Reply #370 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:17 am »
finally added some airholes to my amplifiers, have the lids raised on 2 to see what kind of difference it makes, and will be separating the amplifiers soon.

FloridaBear

« Reply #371 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:08 pm »
finally added some airholes to my amplifiers, have the lids raised on 2 to see what kind of difference it makes, and will be separating the amplifiers soon.

Interesting ideas. I'm still considering what to do (if anything) about ventilation. Cases get to just over 100F after being on for several hours.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #372 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:46 am »
100 F / 38 C is barely lukewarm, so you should not have any reason to worry.

FloridaBear

« Reply #373 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm »
100 F / 38 C is barely lukewarm, so you should not have any reason to worry.

That's kind of my thinking at the moment; and it takes quite some time for them to even get that warm.

ufokillerz

« Reply #374 on: 1 Mar 2013, 12:34 am »
freshly painted and looking awesome

sl_1800

« Reply #375 on: 1 Mar 2013, 01:42 am »
freshly painted and looking awesome

That looks textured?  What paint did you use?

ufokillerz

« Reply #376 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:33 am »
That looks textured?  What paint did you use?
rustoleum spray on bed liner.
i've used it for a ton of stuff and if its sturdy enough to be on the back of a truck, its good enough for my amps

tarnumf

« Reply #377 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:41 am »
My fresh build of stereo amp using NC400's and SMPS1200A400 power supply. I decided on this setup as possible upgrade to bridging NC400.

Case - ebay, China - model 2210
Case feet - ebay, China -  30*14mm
Input and output connectors - Hypex shop

Tools: calipers, power drill, regular and step drill bits, Dremel (a must have), etc.

this_is_vv

« Reply #378 on: 21 Mar 2013, 02:56 am »
For 3 way active speakers its here..

V
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2013, 12:24 am by this_is_vv »

EuroDriver

« Reply #379 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:48 am »
For 3 way active speakers its here..

V

Bruno's strong recommendation is to twist the speaker wires together to reduce magnetic coupling from the umbilical.  You might want to pass the twisted speaker wires through a single hole out of the back plate of your chassis and then connect to your speaker terminals