Raidho XT-1 loudspeakers and which subwoofer

seadogs1

Raidho XT-1 loudspeakers and which subwoofer
« on: 22 Apr 2018, 02:49 pm »
Which subwoofer would mate very well with the Raidho XT-1's?

nickd

Re: Raidho XT-1 loudspeakers and which subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2018, 03:28 pm »
I would be looking at the Rythmik sub with the GR research paper cone 12” servo controlled driver. They are reasonably priced compared to the Raidho XT-1, so pick up a matched pair.

No DSP room control software or remote control, but best sound for the money out there. Speed will be critical matching the XT-1.

On the wild side, go with Lyngdorf amplification. You get digital DSP crossover and “Room Perfect” software to fix almost any room issues. Shocks most people with how good they sound. They also make passive and active subs that crossover a bit higher than most for better mid bass and lower midrange.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2018, 03:58 pm »
nickd probably choose the most musical. If you want just straight thunder then the Funk line is probably good.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2018, 04:04 pm »
Agreed on the Rythmik subs with Servo.  Only subs out there that will keep up with the Raidho's.  I'd probable get a pair of Servo OB subs from Rythmik and use them as stands for the XT-1s.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2018, 05:26 pm »
nickd probably choose the most musical. If you want just straight thunder then the Funk line is probably good.

WRONG.

This user has compared Funk to many other lines of subs but particularly Rythmik (both OB and sealed), in solo and in multisub contexts.

The Funk hands down has cleaner midbass and can hit the lowest frequencies one desires for HT and 2ch. The downside?

Cost. And size.

For the money however, the Rythmik is excellent. But if you want better there is better for more money. And if you can swing DIY then the doors open to options that compete with Funk but can be slightly less expensive as well.

Best,

Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2018, 05:40 pm »
This user modifies Rythmik amps so there isn't a lot of value in comparison.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2018, 02:38 pm »
As a former Raidho dealer and XT2 owner, Id say a REL or JL Audio. Both are sealed and quick. Buy the best model you can afford but I wouldn’t go over 10 inch. I actually like the REL T5 for the easiest integration even if it doesn’t have the wallop of a JL sub.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2018, 08:42 pm »
As a former Raidho dealer and XT2 owner, Id say a REL or JL Audio. Both are sealed and quick. Buy the best model you can afford but I wouldn’t go over 10 inch. I actually like the REL T5 for the easiest integration even if it doesn’t have the wallop of a JL sub.

Curious. Why would you not go over 10 inch in driver diameter for your sub recommendation?

Best,
Anand.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2018, 11:20 pm »
Curious. Why would you not go over 10 inch in driver diameter for your sub recommendation?

Best,
Anand.

That speaker has a relatively high -3db point : like 60-80hz (don’t remember off the top of the head the exact #). Because the upper bass overtones are so clean on this speaker your brain is fooled into thinking it digs deeper than it does IMHO to best blend a sub you’ll want something that will play +80hz well (i.e quickly) - and that to me usually means subs with smaller drivers, particularly in lesser expensive subs. Are there over 10 inch subs that can play well above 80hz? Probably : but it makes things easier and less expensive to go with something smaller.  And presumably if your using an XT1 monitor you’re not expecting or using these in larger scale rooms. 

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2018, 12:21 am »
WRONG.

This user has compared Funk to many other lines of subs but particularly Rythmik (both OB and sealed), in solo and in multisub contexts.

The Funk hands down has cleaner midbass and can hit the lowest frequencies one desires for HT and 2ch. The downside?

Cost. And size.

For the money however, the Rythmik is excellent. But if you want better there is better for more money. And if you can swing DIY then the doors open to options that compete with Funk but can be slightly less expensive as well.

Best,

Anand.

Just curious - what DIY options are available that compete with the Funk options?  If it looks interesting enough, someday I might have to build it :) 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2018, 12:25 am »
Just curious - what DIY options are available that compete with the Funk options?  If it looks interesting enough, someday I might have to build it :)
The Parts Express 18" Ultimax is probably the only thing from a cost/performance point that is nearly unbeatable. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-with-spa1200dsp-amplifier-and-cabinet-package--300-7200

https://data-bass.com/home

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:12 am »

On the low end of the price scale, what jtwrace states is true. And many folks could stop right there.

Higher up in price but still reasonable is the BMS 18n862. An excellent midbass/bass performer.  Throw it in a 4 cubic foot sealed box and let me know what you think. Want high SPL in the home theater 20-40 Hz range? Throw it in a 5.2 cubic foot slot ported tuned to 20Hz design and you are off to the races.

There are other options including Funk’s own drivers used in their commercial designs sold through Harbottle Audio.

Of course Rythmik’s 18 inch driver if they sold it would be a consideration. But I haven’t heard it. I have heard a few Funks and own one and have heard/owned several of the Rythmik 12 inch drivers in both OB and sealed configurations. I have also heard their 8 inch driver. It’s a cute potent fella.

And then there are quite a few from pro audio companies like B&C,etc...

I don’t do single subs though. It makes no sense to me. Multisubs using monopoles or OB or bust.

In fact I will say this. Before one adds sub(s),  the 1st thing you need to do is get real good at measurements using REW particularly below 300Hz. Once you’re a pro at that, then consider building or buying subs.

It takes patience and perseverance. Rinse and repeat.

Best,
Anand.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2018, 01:12 pm »
For music reproduction (not home theater), these are still the best subs I've heard/used. I diy-ed a pair. http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Recently, after reading the AudioXpress article about the Dayton Ultimax subs, I tried a pair in an effort to save space. After 2 months, I went back.

I have a pair of Raidho X-1s, and they play quite nicely together,  but it's overkill.  Ultimately, I'm sure I'll pair the Raidho with a small Rel sub as jarcher suggested, in a office/second system. 
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2018, 08:59 pm by Rusty Jefferson »

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2018, 05:36 pm »
For music reproduction (not home theater), these are still the best subs I've heard/used. I diy-ed a pair. Recently, after reading the AudioXpress article about the Dayton Ultimax subs, I tried a pair in an effort to save space. After 2 months, I went back.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

I have a pair of Raidho X-1s, and they play quite nicely together,  but it's overkill.  Ultimately, I'm sure I'll pair the Raidho with a small Rel sub as jarcher suggested, in a office/second system. 

What I am finding, after 20 some odd years in this game, is that I just don't like deep bass.  Anything below 30hz just pressurizes the room in an uncomfortable way to me (ie, it messes with my inner ear).  So I'm more concerned with mid-bass power and snap. 

Recently I realized my Rythmik OB subs have a high pass setting - 16hz, 20hz, 28hz.  Set it to 28hz and I'm much happier with them (and I as already ecstatic about their performance).  The amps don't waste power trying to pressurize the room with ultra low bass, which gives more headroom and punch to everything above 30hz. 

The other thing I am realizing is that even for mid-bass and up, there's no replacement for large amounts of surface area.  I have 4 x 12" woofers which gives me a 452 inches of surface area dedicated to producing mid/upper bass.  Thats almost as much surface are as 2 x 18" woofers. Bass is super fast, accurate, musical and when needed, very very powerful.

So count me in the camp that doesn't think a single 10" woofer is going to be the best option for most systems....Not trying to contradict you, just offering a different perspective.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2018, 05:55 pm »
What I am finding, after 20 some odd years in this game, is that I just don't like deep bass.  Anything below 30hz just pressurizes the room in an uncomfortable way to me (ie, it messes with my inner ear).  So I'm more concerned with mid-bass power and snap. 

Recently I realized my Rythmik OB subs have a high pass setting - 16hz, 20hz, 28hz.  Set it to 28hz and I'm much happier with them (and I as already ecstatic about their performance).  The amps don't waste power trying to pressurize the room with ultra low bass, which gives more headroom and punch to everything above 30hz. 

The other thing I am realizing is that even for mid-bass and up, there's no replacement for large amounts of surface area.  I have 4 x 12" woofers which gives me a 452 inches of surface area dedicated to producing mid/upper bass.  Thats almost as much surface are as 2 x 18" woofers. Bass is super fast, accurate, musical and when needed, very very powerful.

So count me in the camp that doesn't think a single 10" woofer is going to be the best option for most systems....Not trying to contradict you, just offering a different perspective.

I completely agree on the piston area and midbass aspect. My colleague has 6X12" OB setup with Rythmik 12 inch drivers and it is very good, but I like even more  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:41 pm »

4x12 subs might make sense in a reference system in a large space : even a small to middle sized concert hall. I have (2) JL Audio E112 in a  385sq ft space and even there it’s kverkill (they are at 1/4 power and still shake the room).

But probably not how Raidho X1s are going to be used : which is spread wide and nearfield in a sub 300sq ft room. Horses for courses.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:57 pm »
4x12 subs might make sense in a reference system in a large space : even a small to middle sized concert hall. I have (2) JL Audio E112 in a  385sq ft space and even there it’s kverkill (they are at 1/4 power and still shake the room).

But probably not how Raidho X1s are going to be used : which is spread wide and nearfield in a sub 300sq ft room. Horses for courses.
Agreed. That was part of my point from an earlier post.  The little Raidhos sound good with the dual diy 18" subs, but that's not the system they'll be used in.

bferguson

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:35 pm »
new XT-1 owner, same question....any updated thoughts on good sub matches? Two channel music listening only

No mention of AK Swarm...any thoughts on those? any variants?

Part of my reason to try satellite speakers is to be able to move them into room for serious listening and move back toward wall otherwise...so ideal subs would be as inobtrusive as possible

Thanks!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:36 pm »
...No mention of AK Swarm...any thoughts on those? any variants?...
I love the Swarm, but it takes a big room to sound its best. Endless sense of space. I doubt you'll be in a large room though?

bferguson

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm »
Not sure what defn of small room is but this room is 340 sq ft and 12 ft ceilings...and is overkill excess capacity?

I should preface this by saying that I am a total newb to sub/satellite combo's....really doing this in anticipation of downsizing to a different house, although the room is quite similar in size, but the full range towers are not coming along.  I really want to try to preserve as much of the full range experience I can while accommodating the wife acceptance factor

So since this thread was started Kef kc62 and the SVS 3000 micro have come out which may meet the aesthetic...curious about whether either of those could be a good match

At this stage, I need to kind of order what might work and see what I can do try some of these out. From the responses it looks like Rythmik w/GR driver, REL t5...should any of the above be added to list? any DIY?

Thanks