What is the tweet  and woofers?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Fedele
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:39 am »
What is the tweet  and woofers?

6.5" carbon fiber - Rohacell composite cone woofer (SB Acoustics), Satori 5" mid, and Scan-Speak beryllium dome tweeter. $2,500/pr. including shipping to the CUSA.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2018, 03:06 pm by Rick Craig »

groovybassist

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2018, 01:07 pm »
Thanks Rick - playing music as I type.  Will keep you posted as I go through all the audiophilia nervosa stuff (break-in, positioning, listening height, etc.).

stlrman:  Rick covered the top and bottom drivers - the midrange is an SB Acoustics Satori 5".

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2018, 03:07 pm »
Thanks Rick - playing music as I type.  Will keep you posted as I go through all the audiophilia nervosa stuff (break-in, positioning, listening height, etc.).

stlrman:  Rick covered the top and bottom drivers - the midrange is an SB Acoustics Satori 5".

Thanks for the correction Mike :)

Nick V

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2018, 04:45 pm »

How are these sounding?

I just ordered a custom pair with the same midrange and tweeter drivers, but with an 8" SB woofer and a slightly larger cabinet to dig a little deeper into the mid 30Hz range.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2018, 10:06 pm by Nick V »

groovybassist

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:23 pm »
Sorry for the late reply - didn't realize this ? was posted.

The Fedele's are sounding very fine indeed. 

Compared to the Harbeth P3ESRs I was using, the Fedele's have vocals that are just as natural sounding (no easy feat) and have much better extension on both ends.  In addition, the Fedele's dynamics are much better at low/moderate listening levels, which accommodates my late night listening habit.  They have a level of clarity that will easily allow you to hear what's on your tracks and in your system - not in an analytical or unforgiving way, but in a way that allows you to discover little things that have been buried in the mix/noise floor, which I find cool.  In terms of soundstaging (something I'm into), the Fedele's are great.  With moderate toe-in, the speakers disappear as the sound source (surprising given their size) and the soundstage is wall to wall, with good center fill and localization.

My room is small (12'10" x 11'), so I use the Fedele's in the near field.  Since I live only 30 minutes from Rick, he worked with me to contour the FR slightly to accommodate my room positioning and system - a huge benefit of working with a nearby, small shop.  In a larger space, I don't think that kind of adjustment would be necessary, but I really appreciate the fact Rick was willing to work with me, patient in answering all of my questions and came up with a set of tweaks that met my needs.

All in all, I suspect you'll be very happy with them.

Nick V

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:34 pm »
Sorry for the late reply - didn't realize this ? was posted.

The Fedele's are sounding very fine indeed. 

Compared to the Harbeth P3ESRs I was using, the Fedele's have vocals that are just as natural sounding (no easy feat) and have much better extension on both ends.  In addition, the Fedele's dynamics are much better at low/moderate listening levels, which accommodates my late night listening habit.  They have a level of clarity that will easily allow you to hear what's on your tracks and in your system - not in an analytical or unforgiving way, but in a way that allows you to discover little things that have been buried in the mix/noise floor, which I find cool.  In terms of soundstaging (something I'm into), the Fedele's are great.  With moderate toe-in, the speakers disappear as the sound source (surprising given their size) and the soundstage is wall to wall, with good center fill and localization.

My room is small (12'10" x 11'), so I use the Fedele's in the near field.  Since I live only 30 minutes from Rick, he worked with me to contour the FR slightly to accommodate my room positioning and system - a huge benefit of working with a nearby, small shop.  In a larger space, I don't think that kind of adjustment would be necessary, but I really appreciate the fact Rick was willing to work with me, patient in answering all of my questions and came up with a set of tweaks that met my needs.

All in all, I suspect you'll be very happy with them.

Thanks for the reply. I like the sounds of that a lot.

I was using Paradigm Studio 100's, then I downsized to KEF LS50s when my daughter was born about two years ago.

Now I'm thinking these will be quite a significant upgrade over my LS50s. I can't wait for them to show up in 6 weeks or so. Just sorting out veneer and dye options right now.

Nick V

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2018, 02:07 am »
Getting pretty excited for my custom Fedele speakers to show up.

Ended up picking this veneer that matches with the decor in my home.

This is the 8" SB Acoustics driver we went with in the slightly larger than standard custom cabinet.

I'll post some pictures when they arrive.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2018, 03:58 am »
Hi, Nick.

Had you considered using the 7.5” Satori woofer before settling on this 8” woofer?

Will the 8” portion of the cabinet be ported or sealed?

Michael

groovybassist

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2018, 12:02 pm »
Nick V:

Nice veneer choice.  Look forward to checking out pics and hearing your thoughts once the speakers are in house.

-Mike

Nick V

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2018, 01:21 pm »
Hi, Nick.

Had you considered using the 7.5” Satori woofer before settling on this 8” woofer?

Michael

We did consider the 7.5" Satori driver, but I think the -3dB point in that cabinet would have been in the 40Hz range, and what I was after was a -3dB point around 35Hz.

Rick said he's used that 8" SB driver in the past, and it performs well and moves a lot of air. It's ported as I was looking for almost full range performance out of a 3-way bookshelf (I don't have room for floorstanders in my current sytem).

I've been a bit sick and tired of integrating dual subwoofers with my KEF LS50s, so I'll run these full range for most program material, and I'll integrate the subs occasionally with the most bass demanding program material.

I use a miniDSP DDRC-22D in my main system, so I'll be able to run one curve with subwoofers, one without an possibly a couple more for "bass boost" house curves or to tailor to different types of music.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 09:56 pm »
Hi, Nick.

Michael

As Nick mentioned earlier the 8" has greater bass extension. The Satori MW19 (7.5") was designed to enable use for 2-way designs. In doing so they had to make engineering choices that limit the bass capability of the driver, both excursion and extension. I've used both drivers and in the low end there's no question as to the 8" being better. It won't cover the midrange as well but the upper frequency extension isn't needed here because the midrange will cover that area.