Dusting off the old vinyl collection...

gowestjeff

Dusting off the old vinyl collection...
« on: 22 Aug 2017, 07:16 pm »
Hello everyone,
I currently live in SoCal, and am getting back into vinyl. I think what renewed my interest in playing albums is a store called California Records in Dana Point, California. My buddy there has a HUGE collection of pristine, original vinyl from all genres. This is not a plug for his business, as his landlord decided to bump his rent on his storefront by 500 dollars per month, and he needs more space anyway, so for now, he has closed his doors and is enjoying a sabbatical.

I managed to grab a few gems from him before he closed, however, and after scouring Craigslist and eBay, I've assembled a rag-tag ensemble of parts, but I'm up and running. I have the U-Turn Orbit Custom with some upgrades that I got for 1/3 of what new costs, a very vintage ONKYO TX-800 and some Polk bookshelf speakers, just so I could verify that the used turntable worked! I've ordered a Schiit headphone amplifier because the VModa headphones I've had for several years are better than the used,30 dollar Polk bookshelf speakers. That's about it. For now. Happy listening, everyone!

Folsom

Re: Dusting off the old vinyl collection...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2017, 09:37 pm »
It's just too fun.

Pro-tip, remove the dust cover for much improved sonics while listening.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2017, 09:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff   :thumb:  You'll find lots of vinyl heads around here. Happy listening.  8)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:18 am »
Welcome to AC!

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2017, 01:24 pm »
Welcome.

Did you stumble upon Schiit, or, do your homework and discovered their rep for good value?

If wanting to replace the Polk on a budget, look at the Elac B6.