hypex ncore passive pre advice

robonbass

hypex ncore passive pre advice
« on: 21 Aug 2017, 09:55 pm »
hi - I am considering a hypex ncore project run from a passive pre. I wonder if anyone can suggest appropriate pot values - I know this is a can of worms! the source will be a CD player 2v output, output impedance 10K. I can't even find the input impedance for ncore, doesn't seem to be published?? whether I run a 6tf low cap cable to outboard power amps or install pots in power amp are open options and I am sure will illicit different advice ... I would probably get a selection of values cheaply, listen to each, and then buy a decent pot. where to start???

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: hypex ncore passive pre advice
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:34 am »
The usual rule of thumb impedance for pre x amp is 10x more or 100K ohm in your case.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm by FullRangeMan »

navi

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:59 am »
hi - I am considering a hypex ncore project run from a passive pre. I wonder if anyone can suggest appropriate pot values - I know this is a can of worms! the source will be a CD player 2v output, output impedance 10K. I can't even find the input impedance for ncore, doesn't seem to be published?? whether I run a 6tf low cap cable to outboard power amps or install pots in power amp are open options and I am sure will illicit different advice ... I would probably get a selection of values cheaply, listen to each, and then buy a decent pot. where to start???

10K for a CD player seems a bit high. what CD player is it?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2017, 11:41 am »
Here is the datasheet where the differential input impedance (105k ohms) is revealed: https://www.diyclassd.com/img/upload/doc/ncore/nc400/Documentation/NC400_04xx.pdf

Plenty of other data and equations are included as well. Best to look over it a few times and save it somewhere.

Best,
Anand.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2017, 01:13 pm »
For what it's worth I have a similar setup:  CD Player -> Passive Pre -> Wyred 4 Sound ST Power Amp

The W4S amp uses an ICE power module (not Hypex) and my Passive Pre is made by Luminous Audio and contains a 50k audio taper Alps blue pot. It is well matched from the stand point that typical listening occurs near the 12:00 volume knob position.  The passive pre is both transparent and non grainy; I actually prefer it to some of the ladder type stepped attenuators I have tried from Goldpoint, etc. which some believe are superior.