2 channel HT setup no sub

stump4545

2 channel HT setup no sub
« on: 5 Aug 2017, 07:41 pm »
Ok, so I been sticking with my Deadalus speakers for music and watching movies, but I have not sub.

I know its preference and I can test, but does anyone hear like, or prefer watching movies with no sub and just Left and Right 2 channel?

any thoughts on no sub and a pair of Daedalus Argos?

Mr Peabody

Re: 2 channel HT setup no sub
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2017, 03:33 am »
It depends, a 2-channel could be a better option over some cheaper soundbars.  Or, in a small area, like bedroom.  I personally favor a center channel when possible and full surround in my main HT set up.

In our living room I have a 3.0 set up of in-wall around a 55".  I really need a sub to take the bass out of the mains.  They are 8" Revel so can handle it but I think a sub would take stress off my small Marantz receiver and clean up sound a bit.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2017, 03:02 pm »
I also run a 2.0 for HT, okay, then it's more like a tv with separate speakers than a HT, but it's all I want or need for a living room tv.  I'm using Polk RTi6 bookshelves that have enough bass impact for me, I just need something better than a soundbar.  Your Deadalus speakers should have way more bass than that, and if you're not trying to recreate the theater experience, you should be fine.  It's really whatever enhances your enjoyment, there are no rules.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2017, 10:45 pm »
I say a sub is mandatory for watching movies !!!
At least a ten inch woofer.
I have a ten inch Polk that I got on Craigslist for $60. It sounds great ! :thumb:
It replaced an 8 inch Pioneer,  and the greater impact of the 1o inch is huge.
I plan to run the eight inch in parallel with the 10 inch sub. Eventually.
I am not a bass head , but I say get the biggest , best subwoofer you can afford for hometheater.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2017, 11:26 pm »
I'll give you an opposite viewpoint.  If you can't afford a good quality sub, you're better off without one.  I've tried every iteration from 2.0 to my present 5.2.  In fact, my two Celestion 8" replaced (and bettered) a cheap 12" Polk boomer, yet they're still borderline and sometimes I watch movies with them off, it depends on the movie.

I would say entry level would be something like a Rythmik LV12R or SVS PB-2000.  Otherwise I think you'll be detracting from what you have, particularly with 4 X 8" drivers in your main speakers.

From my experience ranging from 2.0 to 5.2, for overall HT movie enjoyment I would add a center channel speaker before a sub and I would add surround speakers before a sub.  This is of course with a multi-channel processor and amplification processing actual Dolby/DTS soundtracks, which I don't think you have.

I'm probably in the minority, but I've experienced too many years of my own and friend's unnatural LFE sound effects provided by marginal subwoofers.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2017, 12:22 am »
I say a sub is mandatory for watching movies !!!
At least a ten inch woofer.
I have a ten inch Polk that I got on Craigslist for $60. It sounds great ! :thumb:
It replaced an 8 inch Pioneer,  and the greater impact of the 1o inch is huge.
I plan to run the eight inch in parallel with the 10 inch sub. Eventually.
I am not a bass head , but I say get the biggest , best subwoofer you can afford for hometheater.

Um, the dude has a pair of Daedalus Argos. I think he'd have to buy subs probably in the $1K range to make a big difference. I'm sure they'll do plenty fine.

Though I think it's more a matter if you like lots of big boomy, crashes and explosions. If not, they'll be pretty good!

pmch

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:13 pm »
I prefer subs for movies and full range speakers without subs for 2 channel listening.