IDA-8 makes the left channel literally smoke

restrav

Re: IDA-8 makes the left channel literally smoke
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jan 2017, 05:13 am »
I hope so.

do you mean that i shouldnt have made a thread? i made the thread because i was confused and worried and i didn't know what to do and i wanted to understand. I didn't do this instead if contacting support. I used the email on nuprime website but of course since it is the weekend i dont expect a prompt reply.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:28 pm »
I believe threads are a useful way in case someone else has experienced this or for people who will maybe encounter it down the road.

Also helps that several people can put their minds into finding out possible sources / solutions.

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:34 pm »
Yes they can be important, but so can the tone of the thread while you are searching for a definitive or even possible answer. As of now we know what happened but until the amp is checked out we only have theories as to the cause or origin of the problem.

restrav

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:00 pm »
Yes they can be important, but so can the tone of the thread while you are searching for a definitive or even possible answer. As of now we know what happened but until the amp is checked out we only have theories as to the cause or origin of the problem.

so what? of course we dont know the specific thing that is wrong until i send the unit to the company! whats your point?
you want to see only "I bought it, it sounds great" threads, that is what you are saying, right?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:31 pm »
Have you checked the speaker outputs with a multimeter without speakers connected?  It almost sounds like the USB circuit is sending 5VDC through the left speaker output.

Steve

I would also check with, and without a the USB source connected.
It would be helpful for you to rule out the USB source as the issue.
It would be terrible to get the amp back and have the same problem.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2017, 06:53 pm »
I would also check with, and without a the USB source connected.
It would be helpful for you to rule out the USB source as the issue.
It would be terrible to get the amp back and have the same problem.

If it was the amp, they ought to buy him a new tweeter too.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2017, 07:05 pm »
DC will not cause a tweeter to fry when it is coupled to the output through a capacitor.

What is likely happening is that there is some very high frequency oscillation making its way to the tweeter voice coil.

Could be the Dylan though . . .

:lol:

I agree about a HF, it's def not DC.

I bet the xo will be fine... if you're going to switch over xos to a new tweeter I'd spring from some Mills resistors but for the particular application and high xo freq it might not matter.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2017, 07:07 pm »
If it was the amp, they ought to buy him a new tweeter too.

Incidental damages are rarely if ever covered.

restrav

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2017, 11:47 pm »
Just to report on what is going on, Terry from Nuprime support replied. apparently the help desk section of their website is down. they are going to take the unit in to look at it.

According to him, the frequency extension of the amp goes up to 50khz and the speaker not having a tweeter protection circuit could have caused that.
Of course that doesnt explain the reason why the unit is producing this signal in the first place.

rustydoglim

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jan 2017, 06:04 pm »
I remember seeing this support email. There are more than 1000 IDA-8 in use worldwide, and this is the first time we have heard about such problem.  Another user (a speaker designer) also posted that you have an inadequately designed tweeter.  We will take a look at the amp to find out if the tweeter's failure damaged the amp  :duh:

restrav

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2017, 11:10 am »
Got a replacement unit. solved the problem. speaker is repaired and back in business. thanks to nuprime for great support.

restrav

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2017, 11:12 am »
I remember seeing this support email. There are more than 1000 IDA-8 in use worldwide, and this is the first time we have heard about such problem.  Another user (a speaker designer) also posted that you have an inadequately designed tweeter.  We will take a look at the amp to find out if the tweeter's failure damaged the amp  :duh:

any news on that front?

rustydoglim

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2017, 02:38 pm »
You should follow up with the help desk ticket so it can be tracked to the unit under service. With so many things going on with the company, it is impossible for me to answer what happened here. I don't know where to begin.