IDA-8 makes the left channel literally smoke

restrav

IDA-8 makes the left channel literally smoke
« on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:31 pm »
So IDA-8 was working fine and all of a sudden there is a hum in the left channel and im wondering what it is, i turn around and i see white smoke coming out of the left speaker tweeter and i can also smell something burning. The only thing that i did prior to this happening (other than listening to bob dylan) was changing the input from usb to optical and then back to usb after 2 minutes.

restrav

Re: IDA-8 makes the left channel literally smoke
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:34 pm »
i turned everything off, double checked every cable and connection and setting and turned it back on again. more smoke. what council be the reason?
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2017, 05:46 pm by Dadbeh »

restrav

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:38 pm »
this is the tweeter. you can see the white smoke residue on it. the right channel smells fine so far. the whole apartment smells like burned rubber though.

« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2017, 12:49 am by Dadbeh »

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:41 pm »

restrav

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2017, 11:56 pm »
what should i do?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:37 am »
I'd say resize your pictures, but I don't think it will matter.  This usually means your tweeter is fried, sorry.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:40 am »
it is fried for sure but do you think i the crossover is fried too?
should the clarity cap and the resistors be replaced too?

restrav

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:41 am »
it has to do with usb, when usb cable is disconnedted and the optical is conncted it doesnt do that, but when usb is connected it does that consistently. i also changed the usb cable both with my aftermarket 100 dollar cable and wioth the usb cable that came in the box it does that.

restrav

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2017, 01:04 am »
ok in case i need to change the capacitors,
I have had very good results with Obbligato gold premium caps in amp building. do you guys think I should go for clarity cap or use this incident to change both channels to Gold Premium Capacitors?

Before this i had no expereince with claritycap but i loved the sound of these speakers so i guess they are good.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2017, 01:36 am »
it has to do with usb, when usb cable is disconnedted and the optical is conncted it doesnt do that, but when usb is connected it does that consistently. i also changed the usb cable both with my aftermarket 100 dollar cable and wioth the usb cable that came in the box it does that.
What is connected to the other end of the USB cable?

restrav

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2017, 01:44 am »
What is connected to the other end of the USB cable?

A windows 10 pro 64bit PC.

I already reinstalled the windows, did everything according to Nuprime manual and it still does that to the left channel.
Also it doesnt even matter if the pc in playing any sound, if the IDA=8 is set to the USB input this happens.

I guess since my speaker is already fried now I should just wait for nuprime to look at it.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2017, 02:13 am »
Have you checked the speaker outputs with a multimeter without speakers connected?  It almost sounds like the USB circuit is sending 5VDC through the left speaker output.

Steve

restrav

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2017, 02:20 am »
Have you checked the speaker outputs with a multimeter without speakers connected?  It almost sounds like the USB circuit is sending 5VDC through the left speaker output.

Steve

good idea, thanks.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2017, 02:47 am »
DC will not cause a tweeter to fry when it is coupled to the output through a capacitor.

What is likely happening is that there is some very high frequency oscillation making its way to the tweeter voice coil.

Could be the Dylan though . . .

restrav

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:02 am »
DC will not cause a tweeter to fry when it is coupled to the output through a capacitor.

What is likely happening is that there is some very high frequency oscillation making its way to the tweeter voice coil.

Could be the Dylan though . . .

actually that is what im thinking. because as far as i can tell the woofer is spared from harm and the hum was so muted that it i got the feeling that the signal has such high frequency that at least i cant hear most of it.

I have fried some electronic components like caps back in the day, but i have never seen such dense smoke with such foul smell coming out of the speaker driver. I am so upset, i'm pacing around the living room and typing.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:10 am »
actually that is what im thinking. because as far as i can tell the woofer is spared from harm and the hum was so muted that it i got the feeling that the signal has such high frequency that at least i cant hear most of it.

I have fried some electronic components like caps back in the day, but i have never seen such dense smoke with such foul smell coming out of the speaker driver. I am so upset, i'm pacing around the living room and typing.

Being a speaker designer myself, I can feel your pain.  I notice that you're employing a simple 1st order crossover.  What's the value of that capacitor?  Most tweeters really like to have a 2nd order high pass filter on them to keep them from getting too much midrange energy.

restrav

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:16 am »
this really is a full range transmission line. The tweeter is only to complement the high frequencies. the cap is 2.2 microfarad and the resistors are 10 ohm each and are parallel so if my math is correct the frequency of this RC filter is ~22khz. in regular operation the tweeter really just helps with the ambient and it is also placed in the back of the speaker. this speaker is hand built and designed by Mr. Bogdan, still just the fact that I it needs to be repaired is painful. i love these speakers.

http://www.bogdanaudiocreations.com/

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:09 am »
this really is a full range transmission line. The tweeter is only to complement the high frequencies. the cap is 2.2 microfarad and the resistors are 10 ohm each and are parallel so if my math is correct the frequency of this RC filter is ~22khz. in regular operation the tweeter really just helps with the ambient and it is also placed in the back of the speaker. this speaker is hand built and designed by Mr. Bogdan, still just the fact that I it needs to be repaired is painful. i love these speakers.

http://www.bogdanaudiocreations.com/

While the tweeter needs repair, it sounds like the amplifier is in need of a checkup.

restrav

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:32 am »
IM NEVER CONNECTING THIS AMP TO ANOTHER SPEAKER UNTILL ITS BEEN REPAIRED OR REPLACED. AWAITING NUPRIME TO SEND IT TO THE COMPANY

JackD

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2017, 05:06 am »
If the issue only happens with the USB the repair may be as simple as replacing the entire Xmos board.  A simple job.  Just me but I might have tried contacting Jason directly. He has always responded promptly to every enquiry I have made.