DSD files on DAC-10 static

SFDude

DSD files on DAC-10 static
« on: 15 Nov 2016, 04:19 pm »
Just recently received a DAC-10 to hook up to my STA-9s. I'm feeding it via a Macbook Pro running Roon. I've got a DSD file that, while playing using "DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)" in the Roon Audio Setup config, emits occasional static throughout the track. I changed this setting to "Convert to PCM" and it's all but eliminated.

This happens on the two files I have (I don't have a lot of DSD files so my sample size is quite low). Should I be using a different piece of playback software? I'm on a trial with Roon (which I love for its interface and easy management of my music software, most of which are converted from my CD collection to FLACs). I'd hate to give up on it if there's an easy config fix here.

I'm on OS/X 10.11.6 currently on the MacbookPro.

Roon settings are:
Use Exclusive Mode = Yes
Use Integer Mode If Supported = Yes
Use Max Hardware Buffer Size = Yes
Use Power-of-2 Hardware Buffer Size = No
Max Sample Rate = Up to 192kHz
Max Bits Per Sample (PCM) = 32
DSD Playback Strategy = DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP) = this causes static
DSD to PCM Filter = Recommended (30kHz low pass)
DSD to PCM Gain Boost = +0.0dB

SFDude

Re: DSD files on DAC-10 static
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2016, 06:51 pm »
Also saw this thread earlier: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145898.0

I guess there's been not really an answer other than to say the NuPrime DAC is not fully compatible with all DSD files?

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2016, 05:33 am »
DAC-10 can not handle clipping issue with some DSD files. The noise that you hear is due to clipping.

SFDude

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2016, 05:46 pm »
DAC-10 can not handle clipping issue with some DSD files. The noise that you hear is due to clipping.

Thanks rusty.

So playing using the setting "Convert to PCM" strategy, should I even change the DSD to PCM Gain Boost settings or just leave them as-is (+0.0dB) and compensate via the volume control on the DAC-10? I'd imagine the signal sent via USB should still be intact to the DAC, so I wouldn't need to add any digital gain from Roon itself. (Hopefully I'm thinking about this in the right way.)

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2016, 06:47 pm »
That's correct. If you convert to PCM, there is no need to adjust the gain.