Sampling rate conversion (including real time to DSD) and phase converter

rustydoglim

We have debated whether to offer a very affordable (less than $500) hardware device that can do real time sampling rate conversion from any to any format for a long time. My concern is whether it is a niche product.
I think many people have a large collection of music files in a particular format. This will allow people to listen to music, including streaming music in any sampling rate or DSD without the need to convert.
Another important purpose of such a device is to reduce jitter (though this is not as important since the technology is embedded in our DACs and integrated).

So do you want it badly and what features do you like to have?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
I feel like this would be incredibly niche. Pro Audio might have more uses, but then you're competing vs Behringer... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264903-REG/Behringer_SRC2496_ULTRAMATCH_PRO_Sample.html

I could see some uses if someone has a very specific or vintage dac that can only handle one particular sample rate or only sounds best at one rate, and if they happen to have a mish mash of files of varying formats, and if they didn't want to use software to convert... That's a lot of IFs...
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2016, 08:26 pm by Armaegis »

firedog

I think people who are interested in this do it through software, and for less money.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
I feel like perhaps this could be a future product, especially if Nuprime expands into the pro audio sector (perhaps with a high quality word clock for syncing other gear to it). At the moment though, I think it would stretch your resources into places that aren't immediately useful.

It'd be interesting to see if NuPrime could take a stab at ethernet audio which is the new hype these days. The options are very thin in this area.

Eisener Bart

We have debated whether to offer a very affordable (less than $500) hardware device that can do real time sampling rate conversion from any to any format for a long time. My concern is whether it is a niche product.
I think many people have a large collection of music files in a particular format. This will allow people to listen to music, including streaming music in any sampling rate or DSD without the need to convert.
Another important purpose of such a device is to reduce jitter (though this is not as important since the technology is embedded in our DACs and integrated).

So do you want it badly and what features do you like to have?

I am looking for one device many years. I need something what will be able to playback all formats, has good
interface (USB and AES/EBU) and USB inputs for flash memory sticks (or/and SD Cards). For the moment I am
using PC as source that is not comfortable.

Something like this, but with less function (I don't need Phono, PreAmp).
 http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
I am looking for one device many years. I need something what will be able to playback all formats, has good
interface (USB and AES/EBU) and USB inputs for flash memory sticks (or/and SD Cards). For the moment I am
using PC as source that is not comfortable.

Something like this, but with less function (I don't need Phono, PreAmp).
 http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php

Talk to HAL (Rich) at Hollis Audio here on AC, I think he may have what you need.

Sorry Jason, forgot it was your circle, please delete if you need to.

rustydoglim

No problem. I think it is too niche to be worth the effort to turn it into a product.  Most of the benefit of sampling rate conversion for jitter reduction is already built into our DAC.