IDA-16 - Help needed . . .

pepperinca

IDA-16 - Help needed . . .
« on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:06 pm »
I have a IDA-16, recently purchased from a member here.  It is immaculate and the NuPrime shipping box and packaging is superb, so no damage.

The IDA-16 is fantastic when playing.

The issue I am having is, once in a while, I will here a "pop" through the speakers, then no sound and the IDA-16 will "freeze".  By freeze, I mean the unit does not respond to either the remote or the control buttons on it.  If I power the unit off and on via the rear power switch all returns to normal.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

srb

Re: IDA-16 - Help needed . . .
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:54 pm »
Digital circuits can be sensitive to noise on power lines.  Perhaps it's locking up when some abberant device is switching states and sending a pulse of garbage on the power line (A/C, lighting, fan controllers, appliances, etc.).  Can you associate it with some external power event?

Is the IDA-16 plugged into any kind of power conditioner?  You also might try temporarily using a long enough extension cord that you can plug into some different circuits and see if the random behavior continues.

Steve

pepperinca

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:59 pm »
It is direct into the wall.  I can try to correlate to something else.  It might be related to my AC switching on.

I will also try it though a good "conditioner" I have as a buffer.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2016, 03:22 am by pepperinca »

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:04 pm »
It is also likely that the amp's power supply has gone into over-current protection, meaning that the speakers are drawing too much current and to protect itself, the power supply temporary shut down.
What kind of speakers are you using ? Is there any unusual connection from IDA-16 binding posts ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:12 pm »
A confirmation of over current protection is that the shutdown only happened when you are playing very loud.

pepperinca

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:15 pm »
I don't believe I am playing too loudly.  It is currently driving Gallo Strada 2 speakers with subs driven from the RCA outputs.  So the draw should be moderate.  The volume indicator is at 30-50 when this occurs.

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2016, 12:30 pm »
Agree that this is a strange problem and first time we heard about it. So it may not be IDA-16 problem.
I think you have to try to correlate the occasional shutdown with other events.  We will be standing by to help.

pepperinca

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:40 pm »
Thank you.  I'll track it and advise.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2016, 06:45 pm »
Are you using the usb input? It never happened with my IDA-8, but I've had other dac/amps that glitched out from usb issues.

pepperinca

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:10 pm »
No, I use Digital Coaxial input only.

As it has not reoccurred, I coming to the conclusion it was a temporary power issue in my neighborhood.  I am getting a voltage monitor to plug into the wall outlet so I can see what the supplied power is doing.