The Home Entertainment Show - We're Here and sounding GREAT!

John Casler

Well time is short during show conditions, but we have the room all set up and after MUCH EFFORT  :duh: have the system sounding GREAT.  :thumb:

Hotel Rooms typically suck acoustically and it is an art to even come close to getting good sound.

Many years have given me a few tricks that often help and after sounding "so-so" at the beginning, we now have an VERY NICE Sound.

pconley2

John, I won't be coming to Newport this year, wish I was, it would be nice to meet in person.  I hope you have a great show, btw, my AVP is holding up beautifully, it looks and sounds great.

Phil

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Always interesting to see how people set up their systems. Do you know the tweeter height and speaker to speaker to listener distances? Also what dac and amps? Thanks and have a great show.

Rocket Ronny

John Casler

John, I won't be coming to Newport this year, wish I was, it would be nice to meet in person.  I hope you have a great show, btw, my AVP is holding up beautifully, it looks and sounds great.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, wish you could attend, and the system will sound VERY MUCH like yours in a way, since the EVOKE Speakers have a planar MR, like yours, and we are using the HD AVP and K-38.

John Casler

Always interesting to see how people set up their systems. Do you know the tweeter height and speaker to speaker to listener distances? Also what dac and amps? Thanks and have a great show.

Rocket Ronny

Hi Ronny,

Below is a Copy and Paste of what we give reviewers:

WELCOME to ROOM 1046

EVOKE Loudspeakers EDDIE
NuPRIME Electronics
WyWires Cables

You are listening to the following:

The NuPrime HD-AVP 
MSRP $2250 (HD-AVP)

All-digital HT preamp/processor, Media Server, DAC

HD-AVP is an excellent all-in-one product equivalent to "AVP + Media Server + DAC-10 USB DAC"
The NuPrime HD-AVP all-digital HT preamp/processor delivers ultra-high resolution USB audio decoding at PCM 384K or DSD256, 24bit/192kHz digital audio, hard-disk media playback, wireless streaming and superb 4K HD video. There are six HDMI, two optical, two coaxial, four stereo analog, one USB Audio and three USB Host (for hard drive) inputs. The audio outputs include 7.1- channel RCA, 2-channel Zone1, Zone2 and Line Out, 4-channel XLR. A built-in Wi-Fi network supports Airplay, DLNA and Miracast. Two HDMI outputs can be selected from any of the six inputs. The HD-AVP easily accommodates the most complex home theater system configurations. The HD-AVA is HD-AVP with the addition of 200W x 2 power amp utilizing NuPrime Reference LE class amplifier technology.

The NuPrime MCH-K38 Multi Channel Amplifier
MSRP $2995 (USD)

A Reference LE Class Multi-Channel Amplifier
The NuPrime MCH-K38 is a Reference LE class multi-channel amplifier designed for uncompromising home theater and music listening. With its quality parts throughout and an advanced 550kHz switching amplifier operation, the MCH-K38 delivers a full 210 watts into 4 and 8 Ohms per channel. Each pair of output channels can be bridged to double the power to 400W at 4 and 8 Ohms. The NuPrime MCH-K38 comes with 8 sets of RCA and true balanced XLR inputs. A self-resonant design, the amp’s 550 kHz PWM switching frequency constantly adjusts to the input signal, output current demands, and loudspeaker impedance variations. Exemplary speed, accuracy and exquisite dynamics nicely describes NuPrime's signature sound.

The MCH-K38 amplifier is derived from the ULCAM (Ultra Linear Class A Module)+Class D design first introduced in IDA-8.  By joining a powerful high impedance single-ended amplifier circuit in the preamp stage with a well integrated Class-D power stage, the MCH-K38’s rich tube-like sound and tremendous speed is sure to impress audio enthusiasts.  By utilizing a 1000W power supply and CMA capacitor array, the MCH-K38 fully exploits the Class A+D design’s ability to deliver massive amounts of power and speed when needed by a single or multi channels.

The NuPrime Sound
•   Vast soundstage
•   Wide, lightning-fast dynamics
•   Ultra-low distortion and noise
•   Music emerges from a pristine background, with delicate details and nuances intact
•   
In summary, NuPrime’s sonic character stands well apart from – and indeed above – the soft, cushy sound we often associate with most tubed amplification or the dry, edgy sound we often associate with solid-state and switching technology. Rarely does an amp achieve an ideal balance of richly textured timbres and harmonics, bottom-end authority, startling dynamics, exquisite low-level detail, and a fully revealed, fully dimensional soundstage against a backdrop of mile-deep silence.

Specifications:
•   Inputs:
o   RCA: Un-Balanced input x 8
o   XLR: Balanced input x 8
•   Outputs:
o   Stereo Speaker Out x 8
o   or
o   Mono Speaker Out x 4
•   Power: 8 X 210W at 4 & 8 Ohms / 4 X  400W @ 4 & 8 Ohms. MCH-K38 is able to maintain the same power rating at 8 Ohms due to a large power supply.
•   Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
•   Gain: x 22
•   SNR < -95 dB
•   THD+N: 0.02% (Stereo) / 0.01% (Mono)
•   Frequency Response: 10Hz to 50kHz
•   Worldwide AC voltage: (115 VAC / 230 VAC)
•   AC Fuse: Slow-blow, 7A, 250VAC
•   Dimension:  430.3 mm W x 378.7 mm D x 98.55 mm H (including feet)
•   Weight: 14.5 kg
•   Color: Black

EVOKE Eddie Stand Mount Speakers - $3695 Retail (introductory price $2995)

Eddie’s Exclusive Strat F1 Planar
It’s in the execution of art and science. The proprietary Strat F1 puts other planars and ribbons to shame.

How dare we claim that the Strat F1 is so great? Well, the Strat F1 uses the strongest neodymium magnets and the most rigid structure imaginable. And when you put a physicist who is a musician in charge of creating the F1 there are virtually no compromises.

And confidentially, there are a few secrets that add to the mix. Like patented internal damping techniques and diaphragm tensioning processes.  This results in drivers having less than a .5db difference in production. So in the end, the Strat F1 is highly efficient, has wide dynamic range, extended frequency response, consistent quality and is virtually distortion free.

The TruFlat Ribbon Tweeter
Eddie also features a TruFlat ribbon tweeter to compliment the transparency and speed of the Strat F1 driver. It crosses over at the sweet spot between both drivers so that each is optimized within its given frequency range. This not only extends frequency response on the top end but also maintains continuity in dispersion.

Making the ribbon even better is its reliability. Unlike other delicate ribbons with pleated diaphragms, the TruFlat features a flat ribbon. The result is driver stability for performance that lasts over time.

The RM7 Woofer
Finding a woofer for Eddie presented an even greater challenge. The driver had to be specifically designed to match the Strat F1. Variations were considered including size, cabinet alignment and different Thiele-Small parameters. In the end the RM7 proved a match to the Strat F1.

It features a low mass cone and extends the low end to the point where you may feel a subwoofer is not needed [except for home theater and very high output levels]. The heavily cast frame stabilizes extended linear cone excursion. And the phase plug breaks up the anomalies inherent to a cone driver to approach the performance of a flat planar.

T-Phase System Integration
Time and Phase. These may be two of the most contentious words in the loudspeaker business – One reason being all the misinformation and opinions that have been propagated by consumers and speaker companies alike.

Let’s consider this daunting task. Time and phase are affected by the baffle and driver placement. Each driver has its own phase components that change with frequency. Crossover components introduce their own phase and delay issues. Then imagine three drivers interacting with each other!

That should give you an idea of the complexity presented by time and phase. Then add in things Eddie can’t control – the position of your speakers, where you sit and the acoustics of your room.
So what does Eddie do? He takes an overall approach called T-Phase System Integration. By considering all factors together Eddie achieves excellent results in both time alignment and phase coherence. The result is fast attack time for wide dynamics and coherent phase for spacial imaging.

Distortion and Dynamic Range
Eddie’s design and engineering has brought together an excellent speaker. The end result comes together to deliver a musical performance that you can hear. Eddie has incredible dynamic range revealing the subtle harmonics of a recording as well as its dynamic crescendos.
How is that possible? Most other speakers lack dynamics, are fatiguing and just sound loud – that’s because in reality you are listening to distortion. Eddie sounds better because of the lack of distortion. As a result you may not realize just how loud you are playing Eddie!

Specifications
89dB/1 w/1 m
Frequency Response32 – 30Khz, +3 / -3 dB
Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms
Suggested Amplifier Power 50 – 200 Watts
TweeterTrue Flat Ribbon
MidrangeStrat F1 Planar
Woofer7″ RM7
Select Components Mundorf Supreme | Vishay
KyroCabinet:     Height23 3/4"    Width10 1/4"    Depth15 1/2″ [16″ with Grille]
Cabinet Finish“Post Modern” American Walnut
Removable GrilleBlack, Invisible Magnets
Approximate Weight50 Lbs.

WyWires
Power Cables
XLR Interconnects
Speakers Cables
Power Broker Power Distribution

agdev01

Look forward to seeing, and hearing, it tomorrow.

rustydoglim

Very nice speaker with very coherent sound.
By the way, WR-100 can be connected to HD-AVP and the old NuForce AVP-18 Bluetooth dongle port.
If you haven't realized this, the custom port looks like USB type A port with +5V, find, and two SPDIF pins.

John Casler

Phil

Hi Phil,

Finally back in the office.  What a whirlwind of "Chaos, Wonderful Times, Fun Conversations about gear, and Music".  :duh:  :thumb:

Yes, wish you would have had a chance to come out.  It was great.  Knowing your Bruce Thigpen speakers, I know you would have appreciated the whole set up.

Please make sure and listen VERY SERIOUSLY to YOUR K-38, as I have spend a lot of time with mine, and have rated it (to my ears and system) as good or better than ANY amp I have ever heard or had.  Don't think just because it is an 8 channel amp that it doesn't have virtually everything you will find in the mega amps, especially if you bridge your L&R channels to 400wpc.

John Casler

Rocket Ronny

Hi Ronny,

SHOW set ups are ALWAYS a compromise, since you are trying to have reasonably good sound in all the seats.

Since we has 3 rows of chairs, we had three rather SWEET SEATS and four off center seats.

I didn't measure tweeter height, but Mark from EVOKE may have.  It it helps, the EDDIES themselves are 24" high, and the pedestals we used were likely about 24-25" high.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Jason, I'm surprised you didn't haul out an old set of S9's for the show  8)

agdev01

Re: The Home Entertainment Show - We're Here and sounding GREAT!
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2016, 05:44 pm »
I thought the Eddies sounded great.  They had a very coherent presentation and the walnut finish on the speakers looked fantastic.   The MCH-K38 certainly had no troubles driving the Eddies at all but that should be expected.

I'd also add John did a great job of setting up the room.  I got the impression that a lot of room didn't have the same care with setup/presentation that they did last year, that certainly wasn't the case here.

It was also nice to meet Jason and speak with him for a bit as well as  catch up with John.

Look forward to getting the new DAC/AMPS setup when they arrive.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:24 pm »
I thought the Eddies sounded great.  They had a very coherent presentation and the walnut finish on the speakers looked fantastic.   The MCH-K38 certainly had no troubles driving the Eddies at all but that should be expected.

I'd also add John did a great job of setting up the room.  I got the impression that a lot of room didn't have the same care with setup/presentation that they did last year, that certainly wasn't the case here.

It was also nice to meet Jason and speak with him for a bit as well as  catch up with John.

Thanks, AGDEV01 -

John did do a GREAT job of setting up the room. Having listened extensively in his reference room before the show - he knew exactly what he was looking for at THE Show. Thanks for your kind words about EDDIE... The show consensus was very positive. Several (top) reviewers commented on the spacial presentation as well as a seamless transition between the drivers - unable to hear the crossover points - a major compliment when blending a planar to the woofer. I would say more - but until reviews are published - names and exact comments are off the record.

Thanks,
Mark

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2016, 08:13 pm »
Thanks for Mark and John for presenting NuPrime for the show. I know it is very exhausting to stand and talk the whole day.
I am recommending Evoke Eddie to another manufacturer as a reference speaker (he needs something reasonably priced for his WiFi amp development).

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2016, 11:11 pm »

Thanks agdev01, but the room and system set up was a shared collaboration with Mark (EVOKE), Myself, and even Mr Dullo (the man with the Golden Ears)

We have a long list of Reference Cuts that have clear and specific Sonic Qualities that we strive to achieve. 

One of them (The Ballad of Bill Hubbard from the Roger Waters Album - Amused to Death) has a Q-Sound process that helps you hear if the system is in complete PHASE.  If it is, then the placement of various sounds in the Soundscape is clear.  Well we weren't getting the balance and imaging placement WE KNEW should be occurring and this meant that "something" in the room was throwing off the phasing.

The second day of the SHOW Jason (Mr NuPRIME) felt the NuPRIME Banner would be best seen in the Hallway, so we moved it out.

BINGO :thumb:. . . .the imaging SNAPPED into place and all was right in the sound of the room.  So getting good sound in a room can take some doing.  Luckily this was not my first rodeo 8)

Eisener Bart

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2016, 01:35 pm »
Thanks for Mark and John for presenting NuPrime for the show.

I didn't see on any site photos of Nuprime production on Munich show this year. Have you been there?

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:04 pm »
We only have static display at The High End Show in Munich, Germany.  We shared the space with our distributor.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:38 pm »
We only have static display at The High End Show in Munich, Germany.  We shared the space with our distributor.

Thank you!
So - no Ref 20 on picture.

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:46 pm »
At that time we don't have the NUPRIME logo version and we are not allow to show NuForce logo anymore. The logo license has expired :)