MCH-K38 - a giant killer!

MttBsh

Re: The BEST AMP I have EVER heard (at ANY price) has 8 channels!
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2016, 02:34 am »
How would the K-38 sound using only 2 of its 8 channels?

I have a Schitt Yggdrasil DAC feeding a Tortuga LDR preamp to a pair of Sophia Electric 91-01 single ended 8 watt mono tube amps to some high efficiency Cain & Cain speakers (and two subs). Would replacing the Sophia amps with the K-38 be power overkill in my system?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

kevb

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2016, 02:59 am »
Audio Alchemy has basically a 2 channel version. It's class A front end, class D. Better? Probably, but wasn't the end all if you ask me.

A lot of equipment makes up for problems elsewhere in the chain. I don't believe it makes it correct however, or really good. But it can provide synergy.

I have owned/heard a few digital amps in my time.  PS Audio, Hypex, Tripath, etc.  I have also had amps the likes of Plinius, Edge, Audio Research, Classe, Bryston, Simaudio, etc. The little IDA-8 integrated is at least the equal of any of those in almost any sonic parameter you wish to choose (beyond in a lot of cases save bass power) on any speaker I have in the house, and the STA-9 I have now is a step up from that providing more bass drive and power.  They simply do not sound the least bit digital, but nor do they sound like solid state.

Seems you know an awful lot about how these sound by reading sales brochures of other amps.  Why don't you try one before you condemn them with faint praise and brush them off?

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2016, 03:09 am »
Which sales brochure am I reading?

I haven't heard any classD, whatever front end, sound overly smooth, yet.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2016, 03:22 am »
 :

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2016, 03:47 am »
Too bad the amp couldn't run in a parallel-bridge config to utilize all 8 channels in a typical 2 channel system.

JackD

« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2016, 04:06 am »
Folsom

How appropriate do you think it really is for another "Industry Person" who is selling his own amps to be making comments in another manufacturer's Circle about products he knows nothing about or has by your own admission never heard? Maybe you need to keep your point of view to yourself about products you haven't seen much less heard. 

mresseguie

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2016, 04:13 am »
+1

PMAT

« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2016, 04:29 am »
Very bold claims. If it's true, great. That is a horrible delivery of such a claim though.  :o 
Risky on the credibility level.

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2016, 04:34 am »
I didn't realize I was posting in an industry circle. I was just responding to what seemed like some intense hyperbole. And at no point have I said NuPrime makes a bad product. I simply don't believe in intensely biased things with so many variables. Also I doubt NuPrime believes their products wildly stomp on everything. They're very intelligently designed, but to meet goals of price points that aren't as high as new cars is integral.

Frankly I'd be happy to be on a friendship level with NuPrime designer/s, but the thread is taking a hostel attitude in the face of discussion so it may not happen at the moment.

JackD

« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2016, 04:52 am »
Folsom

What "hostile attitude" are you referring to?  If you mean me challenging you about jumping into an owners circle thread then that is not hostile, but just a matter of fact.  You are actively selling an amp based on "chip" technology from TI, but feel the need to challenge John about a product you have never seen or heard.  I own multiple pieces from the company and may find John's claims over the top, but if I challenge him it is as a product owner and not as a competing manufacturer.  That "Industry Participant" tag comes with constraints and is why it is there, so look, read and think before you jump in.

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2016, 05:05 am »
Define "Actively"... If you mean selling PCB's and providing endless support, sure.

Obviously I'm not here to be derogatory. I'm just a guy with some thoughts on a subject of one amp vs all others.

For the record the front end schematic for these amps appears above average for sure so it's no surprise that people are enjoying them. Low noise front, low noise classD. It's a hard combo to beat on the budget.

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2016, 05:06 am »
How would the K-38 sound using only 2 of its 8 channels?

I have a Schitt Yggdrasil DAC feeding a Tortuga LDR preamp to a pair of Sophia Electric 91-01 single ended 8 watt mono tube amps to some high efficiency Cain & Cain speakers (and two subs). Would replacing the Sophia amps with the K-38 be power overkill in my system?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I would think the K-38, while overkill already, for your system it might be even more so.

Give me a chance to spend some time with the STA-9 and see how it compares.

The Sonic Qualities of the STA-9 are supposed to be even more "smooth, and tube like", which may be better suited to your speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2016, 05:36 am »
Good to see a lot of "passion" regarding amps, which is EXACTLY why I posted my opinions.

But rest assured ANY EVALUATION of Audio Gear is OPINION, based on Subjective and or Objective assessments.

Anyone reading AudioCircle knows that there are HUNDREDS of criteria on which YOU judge your gear.  I am the same way, but have had the luxury of "maybe" hearing more samples over the years, as well as clearly knowing what I think makes good sound.

My purpose in posting this thread was to offer some information about what I, and a growing number of EARS have been hearing in the K-38

As well, this SOUND and SOUND QUALITY is coming from a highly unlikely, and therefore LESS VISIBLE component.  Who would ever think an 8 channel amp could rival MegaBuck 2 Channel or Monoblocs?  Most see an 8 channel amp and think, lower quality, and acceptable sound for Dolby ATMOS systems

NOT SO.

So, I am "shining a light" on the product, and it is worthy of that light.

Don't think I didn't know there would be skeptics, and doubters, and of course my post was based TOTALLY on my ears, experience, and preferences.  You have to know that YOUR experiences may be different.

That said of the 5-6 close owners of K-38 owners (including myself) who have been using their amps and had a chance to do a little, or a lot of critical listening, they ALL say pretty much the same thing.  The have NEVER Heard anything better.  In about a week, I know of 2 more who will be receiving their K-38s and hopefully they will drop by, and add to the conversation.

So is it Hyperbole to say that an 8 channel amp sounds as good, or better that any amp I have ever heard?

NOT WHEN IT IS Exactly what it is.

YMMV, but if you get a chance to hear one, then you can decide.

mresseguie

« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2016, 05:49 am »
Hello, John.

I've heard the K-38, and it did sound fantastic. I cannot say it's the best I've ever heard for a couple reasons: my aural memory is pretty short, I heard it on totally new and unfamiliar speakers in a room (and what a room it is!) I had never been in before. Nonetheless, I am mightily impressed with the K-38.

John,

I'm looking forward to your pronouncement on the STA-9 amp. Hopefully, you'll have two in dual mono.

Michael

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2016, 06:11 am »
I'm a happy owner of two STA-9 used as monoblocks and I'm very impressed of the sound.
For the money it's a giant killer.  :thumb:

MttBsh

« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2016, 06:36 am »
I would think the K-38, while overkill already, for your system it might be even more so.

Give me a chance to spend some time with the STA-9 and see how it compares.

The Sonic Qualities of the STA-9 are supposed to be even more "smooth, and tube like", which may be better suited to your speakers.

Thanks for your response John, much appreciated! I look forward to your assessment of the STA-9.

maty

NuPrime STA-9 inside
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2016, 06:54 am »
@John

Is it possible for you to upload a photo of the K-38 inside?

Audiocircle NuPrime STA-9 inside

-> http://www.audionet.com.tw/a/thread-8356-1-1.html

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2016, 07:17 am »
Anyone reading AudioCircle knows that there are HUNDREDS of criteria on which YOU judge your gear.  I am the same way, but have had the luxury of "maybe" hearing more samples over the years, as well as clearly knowing what I think makes good sound.

John, don't take this too literal or personal. Audio gear and systems as a whole are sort of like... women... (up to a certain extent). The more time you spend with them, the more you get to know them. If the relationship (or relationships) are positive and enduring - not merely a brief encounters or even worse ...one nighters - you really get to know that piece of gear ...or woman. She (or it) makes a memorable and enduring impression.

But if you're a gear slut so to speak in the sense that you always have a lot of girls on the go, you'll never be in a position to rightly judge the intimate knowledge that only comes from having an enduring relationship.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2016, 07:18 am »
Deleted- I hate using the iPad for this.  :evil:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2016, 08:43 am »
Very bold claims. If it's true, great. That is a horrible delivery of such a claim though.  :o 
Risky on the credibility level.
+1