DAC 9 or 10 with the Ref 9 V3SE

paulee

DAC 9 or 10 with the Ref 9 V3SE
« on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:20 pm »
Hi,

I've just got hold of the Ref9 V3SE, and is currently using it with my Yamaha AVR amp(pre out). My speakers are KEF LS50. I feel the Ref9's need a better DAC/Preamp for stereo listening...

Two questions:

1. I've read that the DAC-9 has a "warmer" sound, but not seen any reviews yet of it. Would you recommend the DAC9 or DAC10 for this setup? I would use a digital source to the DAC-9 or 10 for listening to music(stereo only, no sub), while I would like to do just passthrough on the DAC-9/10 from the preout of the yamaha when watching movies. (have 5.1 surround). I am not using headphones at all.

2. Does the DAC-10 have the same possibility of doing "passthrough" as DAC-9? - from the info about DAC-9: "Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources. If DAC-9 is connected to another preamp or home theater AVP, set the volume @ 94, which is 0dB."

Regards,

Paul

paulee

Re: DAC 9 or 10 with the Ref 9 V3SE
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:41 pm »
I went ahead and ordered the DAC 9 - excited!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: DAC 9 or 10 with the Ref 9 V3SE
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:02 am »
Hello, Paule.

I suspect you'll enjoy listening to music through the DAC-9. I have an IDA-8, so I don't actually know how a DAC-9 sounds (but I can guess).

Feel free to post your impressions once the new DAC is settled into your system.

Michael