Stunned by the New Liz Phair album...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 25 Jun 2003, 07:38 pm »
Man, Liz' new album really sucks the big one.  I've been a huge fan of hers for many years, so it truly pains me to have to say it, but this disc is fucking dreadful.

I could've cut her some slack if she'd have "sold out" or merely released a very commercial sounding record, but even that isn't the case.  There's almost nothing catchy or hummable on the whole disc.

First off, I shoulda known something was up when I saw the credits;  maybe 5 or 6 songs Liz cowrote with several other people.  And all those songs blow bigtime, with the exception of "Rock Me"; it's so bland that instead of actively sucking it just sorta lulls you to sleep.

The songs she writes herself fare slightly better, but still are very dissappointing.  As a singer, she does exhibit a bit more confidence, which is to say she tries a more conventional pop vocal style- but what Liz Phair fan wants to hear that?  I love the quirkey phrasing, the almost spoken/half sung deliver that typifies her stuff.  On those song she wrote herself, a little of the old Liz shines thru in the delivery, but it's not enough to save this crappy disc.

The worst thing about this album is the mind numbing sameness from song to song; very little variety in tempos and dynamics.  If the track # didn't change you almost couldn't tell where one songs stops and the next starts. I have to give it just about the worst criticism music can get:  it's boring.

On the (very limited) plus side, I really loved one song- It's Sweet sounds like it was leftover from Whitechocolatespaceegg.  Very cool.  Still one song doesn't keep this one from leaving skid marks on the bowl.

With regret, I must advise avoiding this like AIDS.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2003, 07:49 pm »
That really sucks. . .

I have been somewhat a fan for a long time.  I bought the "Whip-Smart" TAPE a long time ago, and I have always liked it.  Haven't heard any of her other albums though. . .

B

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2003, 07:55 pm »
Well, at least PJ Harvey is still putting out kick ass records.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2003, 08:05 pm »
"Whip Smart" is pretty good, but her debut, "Exile in Guyville" is vastly better, as is "Whitechocolatespaceegg."  There are some really great songs on "Whip Smart", but it's a little uneven (IMO) and it's pretty poor sounding, sonically, compared to the other two.

I do plan to force myself to listen to her new stinker again and see if anything grows on me, but it doesn't look good.

Last PJ Harvey disc I heard is the one with "Down to the Water".  I like here stuff but I don't have any of the discs.  Which are the best ones to start with?

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2003, 08:10 pm »
I'm a big fan of "To Bring You my Love".  Her latest, "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea" is very good too.

dogberry

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2003, 08:33 pm »
What do you expect?  She's writing songs with the co-writers of Avril's crap.

More embarrassing is Jewel's transformation into ho-bag.  I wasn't a fan to begin with, but jeez.   :shake:

cjr888

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2003, 10:35 pm »
Sad to hear, and glad to hear -- almost grabbed it on a whim today.

Off topic, but regarding PJ Harvey, can someone suggest a favorite or starting point?  Have heard snippets of albums, but never ended up grabbing a single one.  If its too off topic, please PM your response.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2003, 11:25 pm »
See my previous post in this thread.

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2003, 07:18 pm »
Is it something in the water?  First Jewel goes sex-kitten pop, now Liz Phair follows.  I used to like and respect both of them a lot, now they just seem like more cogs in the corporate "music" generating machine.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2003, 10:47 pm »
Quote from: cjr888

Off topic, but regarding PJ Harvey, can someone suggest a favorite or starting point?  Have heard snippets of albums, but never ended up grabbing a single one.  If its too off topic, please PM your response.

Personally, I've always liked the break-through album "Rid Of Me" better than any of the others I have (though I don't have "Stories"). Though she had other albums before ["Dry" and "Demos"], this was her first album for most people.  I DO like "Bring You My Love" as well.

cjr888

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2003, 01:25 pm »
This site gave the new album a whopping 0.0 stars.  Talk about leaving an impression.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/p/phair_liz/liz-phair.shtml

BlackCat

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2003, 03:22 pm »
Ok...but the cover is nice.