Just picked up Nora's SACD...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 10 Jun 2003, 09:47 pm »
And I'm pretty impressed.  For those allergic to goofy surround sound hijinx, the MC mix is very tasteful and restrained, pretty much limited to ambience.  Since everyone here that doesn't live in a cave somewhere has already heard Jones and decided whether or not they like her I'll just stick to the sonics.

The album is very quiet in MC, both in the sense of complete blackness beneath the music and, somewhat unfortunately, a pretty low volume level.  It's quiet enough to really crank it without getting noise but a bit inconvenient when switching sources as I have to play it 10dB louder than most CDs ( :o ).

The CD is also a hybrid; it plays just fine on my CD player (I checked- not all hybrid discs do work on my aging CD deck).  I haven't compared the CD layer on the SACD to the standard CD, so I'm not sure if it's been goosed at all.

Soundwise, the SACD is better than the CD, but it doesn't cream it like you sometimes see.  The original CD was among the best sounding I've ever heard, so the hi rez improvements are subtle yet worthwhile.

Sa-dono

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:44 pm »
Thanks for the report! So how's the distortion off "Don't Know Why" on both the SACD and CD layers? Is the recording any better? TIA!

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2003, 05:26 pm »
Rob,

Soundwise the SACD is better in 2 channel than the "old" cd?  I'm not venturing into multi channel just yet!!

Sa-dono

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2003, 10:11 pm »
Paging Rob...where the heck are you! :? We want answers! :mrgreen: Don't make me take this to the Fight Club!  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2003, 11:57 pm »
Sorry, guys.  I was outta town on a fishing trip and just checked in briefly last nite.  I haven't really listened to the stereo version all the way thru yet, maybe I'll get the chance to do so tonight or tommorrow.  I just got the new Steely Dan DVD-A, "Everything Must Go" today, so I'll be checking it out too.

Sa-dono

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2003, 01:54 am »
No problem Rob. Just curious..and another friend with the album still hasn't said anything yet either.

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2003, 02:11 pm »
Rob, looking forward to the Steely Dan review as well!!